You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

Difference between "casual" and "semi competitive"?

15 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

As the title says, just wondering what the difference is. Or is it too subjective to be able to answer?

I ask because after the absolute [edited] week of potato teams, I'm tired of not having fun in the game and getting yelled at for trying to call out advice and coordinate in a non toxic manner. I don't need to win to have fun, but getting REKT because of the lack of support and team play on top of overwhelming toxicity just kills it. I'm no unicum by any means, but I'd consider myself average and I do try to play my best - being around 900ish battles and T6-7 in my main ships, I know I'm still learning, but I think I have a handle on the basics, at least. Just don't know what type of clan to look for. Social anxiety is also a hurdle >_<

[WOLF2]
Members
1,402 posts
13,130 battles
1 hour ago, Stormie1126 said:

As the title says, just wondering what the difference is. Or is it too subjective to be able to answer?

I ask because after the absolute [edited] week of potato teams, I'm tired of not having fun in the game and getting yelled at for trying to call out advice and coordinate in a non toxic manner. I don't need to win to have fun, but getting REKT because of the lack of support and team play on top of overwhelming toxicity just kills it. I'm no unicum by any means, but I'd consider myself average and I do try to play my best - being around 900ish battles and T6-7 in my main ships, I know I'm still learning, but I think I have a handle on the basics, at least. Just don't know what type of clan to look for. Social anxiety is also a hurdle >_<

THE KEY TO HAPPINESS "GRASSHOPPAH" IS TO LOWER YOUR STANDARDS 

If you lower your standards, your expectations will follow and you will enjoy eating crap!

By the time you get to T10 or reach a certain age after several marriages, you will have your very own crap-faced grin :)

There endeth the lesson 

• Bad 3

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,902 posts
12,634 battles

@Stormie1126 Casual player is one who plays a few times on an irregular schedule, tries their best and does not fly off the handle in chat.

Semi Competitive players play more frequently and attempt to do their best for the team, learn from their mistakes and those of others, politely accept advice and offer it and are more tolerant of smack talk chat but silently use the report function and offer compliments.

Most of us fit into those two categories, even some of the best.

Then there are those who good, bad or otherwise will be complete Jack A$$es in every battle and are abusive to opponents and their own team members including division mates. Don't be these guys and report them every time with the in game function and note their name and report them to Customer Support in a ticket.  

• Cool 2

[CDMX]
Members
95 posts
5,239 battles
3 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

I would say  that the difference is:

Money or time spended. 

Also affects the gameplay, and need investiment though: equipment and connection quality.

About politeness there is no medicine yet. Some people can ruin your day in one match, winning or losing.

Best regards.

[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,657 battles

A Casual clan will div, might touch CB but doesn't push for anything and doesn't really care about their clan rating, winrate ect. 

A Semi-Competitive clan will div, have routine clan meetings, strategy talks, plays CB regularly and actually cares about their stats.  They want to push in CB, but don't normally play things like KotS or Supremacy league.  

Members
4,581 posts
6,536 battles

As for potato teams I am suffering this summer also. Summer can be like that. Can be very streaky.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,402 posts
13,130 battles
10 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Stormie1126 Casual player is one who plays a few times on an irregular schedule, tries their best and does not fly off the handle in chat.

Semi Competitive players play more frequently and attempt to do their best for the team, learn from their mistakes and those of others, politely accept advice and offer it and are more tolerant of smack talk chat but silently use the report function and offer compliments.

Most of us fit into those two categories, even some of the best.

Then there are those who good, bad or otherwise will be complete Jack A$$es in every battle and are abusive to opponents and their own team members including division mates. Don't be these guys and report them every time with the in game function and note their name and report them to Customer Support in a ticket.  

We all have our inner demons to contend with …  some are just better at it than others or are able to enter into a Zen-state of calm after the match in order to say "gg" :)

I would venture to say that the more competitive you are, the more powerful those demons will be. For them, winning is even more important and they must hate the idea of losing.

Then you have the majority of us who generally suck but don't want to be stat shamed for another loss because someone else sucked worse "omfg  NOT AGAIN"  lol

3 of those in a row is enough to drive me over the edge any day of the week o7 - blame MM?

[CAFE]
Members
1,396 posts
10,763 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 5:02 AM, Stormie1126 said:

A casual doesn’t care about getting better or improving their play. Casuals are generally selfish individuals because they have no intention of helping out the team and are going to do whatever gives them their own personal enjoyment (yoloing, hiding at j10 because they have range, ect). 

A semi-competitive player will actively try to engage with the team and will work with the team to try to win. A semi-competitive player does not necessarily mean the best player but they have an interest in improving, playing their role to win, and promoting teamwork. 

Edited by FratStar4Life
  • Cool 3

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
8 hours ago, FratStar4Life said:

A casual doesn’t care about getting better or improving their play. Casuals are generally selfish individuals because they have no intention of helping out the team and are going to do whatever gives them their own personal enjoyment (yoloing, hiding at j10 because they have range, ect). 

A semi-competitive player will actively try to engage with the team and will work with the team to try to win. A semi-competitive player does not necessarily mean the best player but they have an interest in improving, playing their role to win, and promoting teamwork. 

I was asking the difference as it pertains to clans, not individuals.

[KSC]
Members
41 posts
14,831 battles

I was asking the difference as it pertains to clans, not individuals.

The answer is basically the same.  Casual clans are generally around to go "pew-pew" at other ships.  Some casual clans encourage divs and such, but in general they are there to relax and kill time together.  Semi-competitive clans are usually made up of players who want to continue to improve, care about winning, division up with ships that coordinate well with one another, and probably care about Clan Wars, Ranked, KoTS, and other competitive stuff.  But semi-competitive clans usually stop short of having frequent mandatory meetings, practice sessions, replay reviews, etc.  Competitive clans do all the things semi-competitive clans do, but they may also have mandatory practices, stricter stat requirements, and game review sessions.

• Cool 3

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,337 posts
10,761 battles
On 7/24/2018 at 9:23 PM, Borla78 said:

The answer is basically the same.  Casual clans are generally around to go "pew-pew" at other ships.  Some casual clans encourage divs and such, but in general they are there to relax and kill time together.  Semi-competitive clans are usually made up of players who want to continue to improve, care about winning, division up with ships that coordinate well with one another, and probably care about Clan Wars, Ranked, KoTS, and other competitive stuff.  But semi-competitive clans usually stop short of having frequent mandatory meetings, practice sessions, replay reviews, etc.  Competitive clans do all the things semi-competitive clans do, but they may also have mandatory practices, stricter stat requirements, and game review sessions.

Very good answer..... very good.

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

• Cool 1

Members
348 posts
8,934 battles

Casual is like IDGAF Yolo Swag right into death.

Semi competitive is like people who try to win but if they dont they accept it instead of yelling at everyone around them.

• Cool 2

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,671 battles

I consider myself "casual " only due to the fact that I cannot play every day due to work. 

But when I am playing I play for the win .

So I might not fit that label I guess.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
10 posts
714 battles

I don't think there is a time element between being casual or semi-competitive other than the semi-competitive will play often enough to reinforce the techniques that have been acquired. The semi-competitive WILL consistently take action to improve while the casual MAY take action to improve but not consistently.

[JFSOC]
Members
430 posts
7,345 battles
On 7/24/2018 at 6:23 PM, Borla78 said:

Nailed it.

Casual clans also tend to fill up fast because they let all applicants in. The more competitive, the more requirements usually.

Edited by Davo916