You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

Mutsuki needs at least 11 km torps to have any hope of surviving: WG, please respond!

11 km torps for Mutsuki  

24 members have voted

1. 1. 11 Km torps for Mutsuki: yay or nay

21 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

This ship::Smile_sceptic: :Smile_facepalm:

What is the point? I mean, even after her nerfs Minekaze is still way better with her torpedoes and a bit better with her guns than Mutsuki. The one good thing Mutsuki has access to(by virtue of being a modified variant of a Tokyo Express Mutsuki class configuration) is AA, but it's all well and good until you go to try to defend anyone, including yourself, with her AA. Any CVs will still easily hit her and/or whatever it is she is guarding because she has no Def AA option. Fail.

Her speed is lower than the Minekaze, her torp reload is way longer, she's practically a sitting duck if spotted, she doesn't have a huge amount of HP...

Actually, though, for once, I commend WG for the way she is against Tier V. She's pretty well balanced at Tier V. But with her seeing Radar now, 8 km just doesn't cut it. She at least needs her 10 km torps back, although that only gives her a 100 meter buffer against Indianapolis. 11 at least would be good. Mutsuki in my experience is much like Emerald: she can't afford to be ever spotted because everyone loves to turn her into merely a pile of FREE xp and credits. I don't know how to balance this against Tier IVs, but then again, lower tiers are supposed to be bait for higher tiers.

I suppose the way to balance her against Tier Vs, though,would be to increase the reload a bit and increase the detection range of her torpedoes by 100 or 200 meters.

11 km torpedeoes on the Mutsuki would go a long way to making her actually relevant and a threat. Right now, no matter the buff, she really needs one, as she's just a joke as she is currently.

What do you think? Could Mutsuki be owed 11 km torps for her suckiness?

Let me know in the comments!

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

My only problems were the 2 single barrel main guns and worse yet the crazy Torp spread pattern that acted as if they used to have more Torp Tubes and randomly removed some of them resulting in holes that BBs easily get through safely without even really trying to dodge. Fubuki and up have been nice and Isokaze and below were ok as well.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

My only problems were the 2 single barrel main guns and worse yet the crazy Torp spread pattern that acted as if they used to have more Torp Tubes and randomly removed some of them resulting in holes that BBs easily get through safely without even really trying to dodge. Fubuki and up have been nice and Isokaze and below were ok as well.

8 km is not much range, especially when she sees lots of Radar and at Tier VII, 8 km is the average DD knife-fighting range.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,459 posts
8,119 battles

She faces exactly 3 ships with radar, with only one, Indy, having a significant buffer at 9.9 km, where as Atlanta and Belfast have about half a km which, can still torp outside of depending on angle. A bunch of people just got 2 of them (Indy, Atlanta), so yeah, for the moment your going to be seeing more but these ships normally aren't exactly legion. Really just needs what at the very least the whole IJN torp line basically needs T5+ of either keeping their current speeds, but reducing the range the torps are spotted to about 1.3/1.4 depending on torp (Mut might be a 1.3), or keep the (malarkey) spotted ranges but give a significant speed boost to compensate so that they are on par still with other nations torps. 

Radar is a separate animal that needs to be dealt with at some point, but even IF the numbers become bloated permanently of radar ships it sees giving it 10-11 km torps won't really do any good because they are still spotted pretty far out and that's even more timeand range for them to spread out over. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
2 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

8 km is not much range, especially when she sees lots of Radar and at Tier VII, 8 km is the average DD knife-fighting range.

Thought the ship got 10km Torp Range?

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Thought the ship got 10km Torp Range?

Nope. Not since they down-tiered her to Tier V. Now she only gets Shinome range instead of Fubuki range.(but without Shinome's good gunpower)

[WORX]
Members
1,870 posts
12,936 battles

11km torps range on the Mutsukie no, I do recommend her torp reload be lowered to 55 sec no lower then 40 sec.  The 3 radar ships she will likely face, their radar intensity is not that high compared to say tier 10 match. Torps and being accurate with them is like Trump and exercise they just don;t mix. But somehow you have to be that way in order to make the Mutsukie work. You only have 2 launchers granted they hit hard. You can easily take down 2 CVs with just those torp tubs very powerful. The Mutsukie for me was the ultimate Torp trainer, she is a ninja DD for sure, but very situational indeed.  GL and HF   

44 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

as she's just a joke as she is currently.

^^^ I Disagree

Edited by Navalpride33

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Mutsuki could use at least another single gun turret to bring her up to 3 Main Guns for self defense against other DDs because right now Isokaze out Guns her and so does Fubuki and every other DD for that matter. I remember that being my wish as I did the grind, then sold her because she just was not serviceable enough to keep.

Members
1,738 posts
9,916 battles

I'd rather get a gun buff.

Mutsuki at T5 is decent.  I realize I might have to eat my hat from prior statements I made when she was the turd of T6.  If they do a T5 ranked I might run her for vision control in conjunction with longer range torps than my Kamikaze.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

It's T5 with 5.4km max concealment and 8km torps. If nothing else, you should be able to grind past her fairly quickly.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:

It's T5 with 5.4km max concealment and 8km torps. If nothing else, you should be able to grind past her fairly quickly.

DDs are Mutsuki's biggest problem. If she could have longer ranged torps, she could fire from far enough away as to be relatively safe unless the player was stupid or there was an enemy cv(a real possibility these days).

7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I'd rather get a gun buff.

Mutsuki at T5 is decent.  I realize I might have to eat my hat from prior statements I made when she was the turd of T6.  If they do a T5 ranked I might run her for vision control in conjunction with longer range torps than my Kamikaze.

The problem with Mutsuki's guns is not their stats. If it were, changing her reload to a 0.5 second reload would make her an effective gunboat. But alas, their stats aren't the problem and thus it wouldn't. The problem with Mutsuki's guns are two-fold(see what I did there?) and both of my points have to do with how few guns she has.

First, two guns is not enough IRL for accurate range finding, and that carries over to here as an insufficient number to find the exact lead on a fast moving target such as another DD very quickly.

Second, like Yubari, Fubuki, and Ognevoi, having only two turrets means all of your non-torpedo surface firepower is extremely vulnerable to being completely destroyed, leaving you with no guns at all. Like the USN Tier VI Premium DD,(with the B hull) the real problem with only having two guns(total, not two turrets) is once you lose one, you're down to DE levels of firepower. That is to say, piddly. 

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles
50 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

DDs are Mutsuki's biggest problem. If she could have longer ranged torps, she could fire from far enough away as to be relatively safe unless the player was stupid or there was an enemy cv(a real possibility these days).

She out-spots every single ship other than Isokaze, which is also very bad at guns. If you get caught by other DDs in Mutsuki, it's you, not the ship.

[SYN]
Members
559 posts
6,248 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 6:05 PM, chewonit said:

All you need with the Mutsu is a boatload of patience.  Stock up on it in port, then hit "battle."  

The only time that I used the guns to any real effect was to finish off a torpedo victim or a nearly-dead opponent.  Her torpedo reload is great for firing, running, popping smoke, and coming back to the target. Especially since it sees so little radar compared even to Tier 6 boats.  I got more liquidators in her than in any other ship. She is a go-to for missions requiring flooding damage. I don't know if it is the nature of the Tier 5 and 6 BB's to take flooding or if it is players learning to manage dcon.

I think I will train up a captain to 10 points and enjoy her again. 

Members
1,738 posts
9,916 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 8:11 PM, chewonit said:

She out-spots every single ship other than Isokaze, which is also very bad at guns. If you get caught by other DDs in Mutsuki, it's you, not the ship.

The problem stems from she is forced to play in front of team mates as she is nearly unable to deal with DDs due to the gun configuration.  This limits a lot of torp opportunities until the team can kill off the DDs to open the map up for you.

I dont think any other DD this tier has such pitiful guns.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,887 battles
3 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Probably have to go a couple of tiers lower to find an effective match in guns. Can't think of any DD that faces her that has any hesitation for getting into a gun battle with a Muts. Most will seek them out if they get momentarily spotted. If you can avoid the torps, you can kill it.

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

Really? I don't want to be a troll in any way, that sometimes I feel I am :Smile_teethhappy: but Mutsuki is among my favourite destroyers. I do very well in Mutsuki, I have concealment and 5.6 km of detection range, 8 km of torpedo range is more than enough for me. I don't usually face many radar ships at this Tier and I really love this destroyer. I like it so much that I want to read a book about it and Minekaze:

9781849089845_4.jpg

Mutsuki torpedos are amazing: 14,600 Hp damage, 63 knots, 8.0 km

Members
12 posts
5,777 battles

Like the above poster ...I kept my Mutsuki as she was my top damage record holder for a while, and I get tired of people (edited) about her.

5.4 max conceal with 8 K torps ...I have gone whole games without being spotted, anyone using her advantages like they do Minekaze can basically be a submarine. And anyone knowing their IJN DD role knows u shouldn't be using guns hardly ever till tier 7, and even then only situational. But even in comparing guns that u probably should barely use, Mutsuki's 2 guns have almost TWICE the rate of fire as Mine's. So it compares with tier 5 IJN weak @ss DD gunnery anyway(and I have sunk a couple of CV's with just those).

DD versus DD action? Forget about it ..unless ur launching undetected into a smoke screen You can out spot everyone except Mine...so of course run away with a torp spread in your wake

So your complaining about a stealth Ninja that can get to 5.5 KM of an enemy and have 2.5 KM to spare for a torpedo spread in tier 5? You either need to rethink you ship strategy or just free xp past it...but you won't like Fubuki that much better if u can't master Mutsuki...

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
11 hours ago, Jungol said:

Like the above poster ...I kept my Mutsuki as she was my top damage record holder for a while, and I get tired of people (edited) about her.

5.4 max conceal with 8 K torps ...I have gone whole games without being spotted, anyone using her advantages like they do Minekaze can basically be a submarine. And anyone knowing their IJN DD role knows u shouldn't be using guns hardly ever till tier 7, and even then only situational. But even in comparing guns that u probably should barely use, Mutsuki's 2 guns have almost TWICE the rate of fire as Mine's. So it compares with tier 5 IJN weak @ss DD gunnery anyway(and I have sunk a couple of CV's with just those).

DD versus DD action? Forget about it ..unless ur launching undetected into a smoke screen You can out spot everyone except Mine...so of course run away with a torp spread in your wake

So your complaining about a stealth Ninja that can get to 5.5 KM of an enemy and have 2.5 KM to spare for a torpedo spread in tier 5? You either need to rethink you ship strategy or just free xp past it...but you won't like Fubuki that much better if u can't master Mutsuki...

My favorite has become Kagero, 10km Torps that pack a punch, 5.4km Concealment with upgrades, and 6 guns that are not the best in tier, but still enough to depend yourself in a knife fight with enemy DD sometimes or at least feel like you went down able to fight back. And if you are able to buy premium ships the Harekaze takes the good things about Kagero and gives it the options to mount better guns and removes some of the negative aspects about Kagero.

[SYN]
Members
559 posts
6,248 battles
On 7/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

True about guns. Mutsuki can be a beast without guns. 

On 7/31/2018 at 9:25 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

My favorite has become Kagero,

It was mine, also. Then I got a Yugumo. 

Members
7 posts
530 battles

I agree that the Mutsuki is pretty strong  as well. I have come to realize that  there are games in which I do not do any damage at all. In fact I do not base my play in the Mutsuki solely  on the how much damage I can do. I focus on spotting for my team and taking caps when the opportunity arises. I do my best to stay hidden most of the game so that I can last to the end of the game. I try not to take any unnecessary risks and  on go after a target when I am certain that I can possibly get a hit or force a target to turn broadside to the guns of my teammates.  The Mutsuki is all about stealth and patience and cunning. I think this why so many do not like mutsuki  because  they are trying to play the ship to aggressively and expecting instant results.  

• Cool 1

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,762 battles
On 7/23/2018 at 8:58 AM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

All you need with the Mutsu is a boatload of patience.  Stock up on it in port, then hit "battle."  

The only time that I used the guns to any real effect was to finish off a torpedo victim or a nearly-dead opponent.  Her torpedo reload is great for firing, running, popping smoke, and coming back to the target. Especially since it sees so little radar compared even to Tier 6 boats.  I got more liquidators in her than in any other ship. She is a go-to for missions requiring flooding damage. I don't know if it is the nature of the Tier 5 and 6 BB's to take flooding or if it is players learning to manage dcon.

I think I will train up a captain to 10 points and enjoy her again. 

The second highest damage total in a DD I have ever done was in the Mutsuki Tier 5.  146K damage with 4 ships sunk. I think she's fine at Tier 5 and I rarely fire the guns only in self defense. 5.4 concealment is her strength.

• Cool 1