Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Getting the Z-23 to work

4 comments in this topic

Members
416 posts

I want to like the German DD line. I really do. I've read a lot of great things about the Z-52, but can't seem to make the Z-23 work. I understand that this ship should be a jack-of-all-trades, but hearing this doesn't make it any easier to play.

• The concealment seems high relative to other Tier 8 DDs, and is noticeably worse when you are uptiered. Plus the whole radar thing.
  • Neither the 128mm nor the 150mm feel super comfortable. You trade a high ROF and low fire chance for more damage and a lower ROF. Shredding ships with AP is neat and all, but if I'm that close I'm probably regretting things.
  • The torpedoes don't cause a ton of damage, and still require you to get pretty close in the current radar meta. At least they reload kind of fast.
  • The maneuverability is...not great.

Has anyone been grinding through this ship since WOW became radar fest? Has radar even bothered you? Most of the write ups I see are more than a year old, which is pretty much ancient history considering that there have been so many changes since 2017.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
316 posts
11,840 battles

Here is a video of my Z-23 during Ranked season 8 battle. It was a pretty awesome match up, where we should have lost. If I could find my other Z23 videos, i would post them. But this one is great.

Z-23 has it's own unique playstyle. I personally like to go with the 150mm guns over the 128.

[FML]
Members
1,754 posts
10,126 battles
4 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I want to like the German DD line. I really do. I've read a lot of great things about the Z-52, but can't seem to make the Z-23 work. I understand that this ship should be a jack-of-all-trades, but hearing this doesn't make it any easier to play.

• The concealment seems high relative to other Tier 8 DDs, and is noticeably worse when you are uptiered. Plus the whole radar thing.
  • Neither the 128mm nor the 150mm feel super comfortable. You trade a high ROF and low fire chance for more damage and a lower ROF. Shredding ships with AP is neat and all, but if I'm that close I'm probably regretting things.
  • The torpedoes don't cause a ton of damage, and still require you to get pretty close in the current radar meta. At least they reload kind of fast.
  • The maneuverability is...not great.

Has anyone been grinding through this ship since WOW became radar fest? Has radar even bothered you? Most of the write ups I see are more than a year old, which is pretty much ancient history considering that there have been so many changes since 2017.

I am on my Z-23 grind currently. Still rocking the 128s, but I think they’re standouts with their fast torp reloads. That, and the sonar for cap contesting, ofc.

Still, having said that, I don’t feel as comfortable compared to the Loyang, which fills a similar role...

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I should probably go back and run the 23 again, being more patient and trying to really make it work. 

When I ran the 23 I used the 150s, same as i did the Gaede and i have always liked those guns. Just gotta make sure you don't miss too many shots is all!

Sign in to follow this