You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
G_Potter

Question on how MM works

7 comments in this topic

[SUNKN]
Members
19 posts
10,585 battles

I have read that MM tries to balance divisions between the teams, such that there can be a maximum difference of 1 division between teams (for example, if team A has 2 divisions, team B must have at least 1 division, but not more than 3 divisions).  Does MM also evaluate the tier level or number of ships in the divisions that it is balancing?

Example case:

Team A has 1 division consisting of two tier VIII ships

Team B has 2 divisions, each consisting of three tier X ships

Does MM consider this balanced?  Or would it move one of the tier X divisions to team A?

Please note:  This is not a MM rant.  I have no data to support the example above leading to unequal win percentages.  However, I think it <could> lead to an advantage if you decided to always try to make a 3 person div, especially a 3 person tier X div.  If MM does not try to balance the number of ships/div and tier/div across the teams, then by maxing out your div, you would be at worst matched with the same, and at best matched with a -2 tier, 2 ship div.

This makes a HUGE assumption that teams are better with divisions, and I'm not sure I can say that with any confidence.  

Bottom line, just curious to see how 'smart' MM is

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
3 minutes ago, G_Potter said:

I have read that MM tries to balance divisions between the teams, such that there can be a maximum difference of 1 division between teams (for example, if team A has 2 divisions, team B must have at least 1 division, but not more than 3 divisions).  Does MM also evaluate the tier level or number of ships in the divisions that it is balancing?

Example case:

Team A has 1 division consisting of two tier VIII ships

Team B has 2 divisions, each consisting of three tier X ships

Does MM consider this balanced?  Or would it move one of the tier X divisions to team A?

Please note:  This is not a MM rant.  I have no data to support the example above leading to unequal win percentages.  However, I think it <could> lead to an advantage if you decided to always try to make a 3 person div, especially a 3 person tier X div.  If MM does not try to balance the number of ships/div and tier/div across the teams, then by maxing out your div, you would be at worst matched with the same, and at best matched with a -2 tier, 2 ship div.

This makes a HUGE assumption that teams are better with divisions, and I'm not sure I can say that with any confidence.  

Bottom line, just curious to see how 'smart' MM is

MM doesn't take into the fact with radar or there a division of shima or minos to balance for the other team vs that? I seen fail div get the match up with 10s like for example poor colorado class bb and his buddy who was in a tier 8 dd got into a tier 10 fight.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,675 posts
9,071 battles

Ship type, ship tiers, divisions, that is all that is factored.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,675 posts
9,071 battles
30 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

That is still ship type & tier but after three minutes the MM goes to the old  plus/minus one on the type rule which was making a lot of unbalanced matches.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,882 posts
12,626 battles

@G_Potter If you will look at the team listing while the map loads you should see in the upper right a check box. Enable receiving Division Invites. Check that box and other team members can invite you to division on the spot and you can also invite others to division with you. Unchecked you can not receive on the spot invites but you can make invites. to do so place your cursor on the spot where the division symbol would be and if an empty symbol displays click it and you have invited that player to division. If no blank symbol appears that player does not accept invites.

So if you see skewed divisions it is not MMs doing more likely it is players are forming on the spot divisions. You can also do this in battle if you have the time.