You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
StoneRhino

Izumo's buffs

36 comments in this topic

Members
2,283 posts
4,107 battles

In case people haven't heard. There is some talk about potential buffs to Izumo.

Namely increasing her deck armor and decreasing her detection.

I have kind of mixed feelings about it though.

Mostly the deck armor. @57mm she becomes immune to 203 HE rounds and can bounce Yamato AP.

HE is her main weakness. To the point that Azure Lane included it in their crossover

I know the general consensus is that she needs a buff. However I feel like part of the challenge of taking her out of port. Is playing around her weakness.

Even with my horrible stats in her I really can't blame the ship. There really has never been a game that I looked at her and thought "If only you were better that game would have been so different".

Just curious what other people think or if there are other buffs that you would rather see than the ones proposed?

Edit:

Here's mine.

LH3JOwh.png

Edited by StoneRhino
Added pic

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

She's a huge tub and I think this buff is quite warranted especially when you look at the other T9 bbs.

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

If they buff the Izzy I'll definitely buy it back.  Thought about doing it anyway.  I made the thing work well toward the end of the grind, once I ceased the error of bow tanking.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,219 posts
9,908 battles

if they were to swap that third turret around and increase durability to fire damage she'd be perfect.:fish_book:

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I was thrilled when I sold my Izumo.  I couldn’t have been happier to be done with that ship.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles

I'd say take that deck armor buff WG is giving, and give Izumo Nelson's gun layout.

Members
2,283 posts
4,107 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

She's a huge tub and I think this buff is quite warranted especially when you look at the other T9 bbs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't alsace, lion and conquerer all have 32mm decks.

Izumo's is just more noticeable because she has a lot of deck. However the other ships I listed have a lot of superstructure by comparison.

Make that deck a HE shield with her small superstructure she might jump from most vulnerable to least.

Then add in the fact that she will have the second highest horizontal armor value in the game; but also in the that covenanted USN style triple layers.

Members
2,283 posts
4,107 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'd say take that deck armor buff WG is giving, and give Izumo Nelson's gun layout.

Its not bad, lowered and turned around.

YVGI3nW.png

Edited by StoneRhino

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,820 battles

i just started my grind on her, only have the B hull so far. i have played through the Iowa, Lion, and Alsace. what can i say positive about the izumo? very accurate guns, not much else. horrible detection, slow, wonky turret layout, and a deck the size of some aircraft carriers and burns just as bad. a deck armor buff and detection range lowered will be gladly accepted by this player!!!!!

Beta Testers
1,323 posts
3,585 battles

Secondary monster works better at close range manual secondary build of course. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, StoneRhino said:

Its not bad, lowered and turned around.

YVGI3nW.png

She'd be able to angle and present her firepower quite well like that.  Combine that with the deck armor buff she got, she's be pretty good, actually.

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,820 battles

buffs or no buffs still the most annoying pos tier 9 bb i've played. deck armor is only on the upper deck, the bow and stern still light up like a dried out xmas tree. its still in need of a bit more buffing or better ye just replace it. i'm so about to burn real money to get past it, and i've never done that before. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,080 posts
14,468 battles
18 hours ago, motaz87 said:

buffs or no buffs still the most annoying pos tier 9 bb i've played. deck armor is only on the upper deck, the bow and stern still light up like a dried out xmas tree. its still in need of a bit more buffing or better ye just replace it. i'm so about to burn real money to get past it, and i've never done that before. 

Would you believe the bow and stern of other BBs are just as vulnerable to HE & Fires?

An HE spamming Cruiser Player like me knows :Smile_Default:

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,820 battles

i'm sure they all do,  but whats is the Izumos deal? what makes it good compared to the other tier 9 bbs? all the others i've played seem on par with each other. the Iowa(speed, and hard hitting gun) and Alsace(speed,  and killer secondaries) are very competitive. the Lion has stealth, super heal, and HE shells. what does the Izumo have? weird turret layout? yup! slowest tier 9 bb, check! still burns to a crisp. roger that! ship should be further buffed or at least get rid of the stupid B hull to make the grind slightly less painful!!!

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,538 battles

Even with the armour buff, she's still got far and away the worst and most infuriatingly inaccurate guns in tier. What they really need to do is rip off the 16" turrets and give it the 18" turrets from Musashi - that way she remains relatively inaccurate, and the gammy layout and huge hull make her different from Musashi, but still has the chance of doing at least something with that single shell hit most salvos cough up.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,584 battles

Give players a chance to win an Amagi mission that awards you enough free XP to skip Izumo lol

Members
2,283 posts
4,107 battles
11 hours ago, NTRabbit said:

Even with the armour buff, she's still got far and away the worst and most infuriatingly inaccurate guns in tier. What they really need to do is rip off the 16" turrets and give it the 18" turrets from Musashi - that way she remains relatively inaccurate, and the gammy layout and huge hull make her different from Musashi, but still has the chance of doing at least something with that single shell hit most salvos cough up.

Lol, 

The only problem with izumo's accuracy is her vertical dispersion. Which actually becomes better at longer ranges, when some speed bleeds off. The USN shs shells on the other have amazing vertical dispersion at all ranges.

Her unbuffed elite horizontal dispersion is better than Iowa/Missouri's fully buffed.  Iirc it's 245 buffed vs 240 unbuffed @ 22km ish. With equal sigma. 

Her high velocity shells are easier to aim and are very punchy.

Her armor layout is at least on par with the Yamato sisters. Better sometimes, worse at other times. For example an izumo angles against a Yamato better than a Yamato can against herself. They have the same weakspot except izumo's is much smaller and protected by a turtle back. While Yamato presents a flat citadel. If a Yamato angles wrong you can easily punish it in nearly any BB she faces.

If the angled "deck cheeks" of izumo was sloped like Yamato's then I think izumo would be the better tank.

Putting Musashi at tier 9 was a mistake I feel but don't mind fighting one in an izumo. At least not in that "Fine, I guess I get to take on that Yamato" feeling you get when all your allied BBs are cowering from one.

[NET]
Beta Testers
457 posts
3,820 battles

well after a number of games in i can still say shes a huge turd. my biggest gripe is a surprising one. it not the huge 32mm front deck, not the stupid rear facing gun. its the horrible rudder shift time. gotta be the most cumbersome tier 9 bb i've used. make her turn a bit better and get rid of one of the hulls.

[IW]
Members
14 posts
7,374 battles

The more I play her the more I like her. And when I started the 'grind' I absolutely hated this ship, but my scoring avg is going up now that i'm past the first say 10+ battles needed to get used to the steering and gun layout. It seems to burn easily so I've had to keep my distance.

[MANDO]
Members
11 posts
1,526 battles

Ok can we please get a WG employe to help us here, I and a large majority of players still feel like the Izumo needs even more of a buff. The third turret needs to be 360 maybe armor up the Full Bow instead of just a part of it and maybe a higher caliber for all 3 main turrets. I assumed after the buff it would fix how bad she is but sadly i was dead wrong i think you guys helped make it slightly less horriable but overall almost everyone i see play her does on average worse than even Teir 8 bb's in a Teir 10 game which should not happen. This is kind of a big deal she is the stepping stone to the ultimate BB and i honestly think alot of players want the Yamato but get to Izumo and just say screw it it's not worth the grind in this trash no offense. If you guys don't mind have the developers really look at her again and make her the shinning red sun Teir 9 she should be!

Members
2,283 posts
4,107 battles
21 hours ago, KahlDragonborn said:

Like im losing credits for trying to use Izumo smh this might push me over the edge guys :(

This can be a problem. I bought her perm camo when it went on sale and used my stores of economic camos before that. I also usually fly $$$ flags.

It allows me to run off and play stupidly without losing too much $$$.

With premium time it's next to impossible to lose credits. 

If you don't want to spend real money and don't have the flags. Then you will have to play more intelligently. Keep a screening ship in front of you, don't rush in and stay with the pack. Even if it's a lemming train, just go with it. 

Basically "Stay alive and do damage". Even those overpens add up if you can stay alive long enough. 

Once you figure out your "break even damage". You can play conservatively until you get it, then play more aggressive.

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,538 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 5:23 AM, StoneRhino said:

The only problem with izumo's accuracy is her vertical dispersion. Which actually becomes better at longer ranges, when some speed bleeds off. The USN shs shells on the other have amazing vertical dispersion at all ranges.

Her unbuffed elite horizontal dispersion is better than Iowa/Missouri's fully buffed.  Iirc it's 245 buffed vs 240 unbuffed @ 22km ish. With equal sigma. 

Her high velocity shells are easier to aim and are very punchy.

There is no range at which the Izumo's guns are good or accurate, and they are easily at their worst when trying to shoot at long range. When they're not missing, they're either overpenetrating cruisers or bouncing on battleships, with no middle ground. The only range the Izumo guns can consistently start hitting 4 shots per salvo or better at is less than 6km, and even with the improved armour, her massive detection range and ponderously large hull makes it exceptionally difficult to get into that range without bleeding all of your health in the process.

You can quote all the paper stats you like, when you actually use them in game the Iowa is significantly more accurate than the Izumo at all ranges, because there are more stats and calculations involved in accuracy than just the dispersion and sigma numbers they list in public.

[BOTES]
Members
38 posts
8,627 battles

The Izumo's guns were the only good thing about her, before the buffs. They're completely fine, you have some of the best accuracy for the tier, almost the best penetration, high alpha, decent gun arcs, not even too bad turret traverse. 

The deck armor change and the better concealment were huge tbh, the ship went from being fodder for any cruiser to having parts of the ship that shattered all cruiser HE along with a distinct lack of superstructure which makes it relatively hard for small caliber guns like DDs to get meaningful HE damage, and with a full anti-fire build she's definitely less vulnerable to HE spam than she used to be some time ago. This combined with generally good resistance to non-46cm AP and now improved stealth means that she's a reasonable hard ship to kill if you are careful about your positioning and can now finally disengage better while running a stealth build. Definitely an enjoyable T9 BB to play now, even if she's definitely still not as good as the Musashi. I've seen complaints about her 3rd gun turret, and yes while being an all-forward gun BB without a Nelson style layout is a missed opportunity, it's no worse than any other BB that has to angle to present a rear turret that's otherwise blocked by the superstructure. 

At this point I just hopes she gets a visual redesign to fix the mess that is her superstructure design.  

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,538 battles

Worst accuracy for the tier, not best. They are horrible shotguns that scatter everywhere, and last time I looked were in the bottom third for accuracy of all my battleships, tied with the likes of the Wyoming, and trailing by a long way often maligned ships including every single German battleship that I've sailed, which is up to Bismarck. The Iowa blows Izumo away for accuracy, and really I can't imagine how FdG, Lion, or Alsace could be any worse.

When people say the Izumo's big advantage is its guns, I seriously do not understand what ship they think they've been sailing.

As for survivability, the ship is still total [edited]and a trivial kill for any battleship, heavy cruiser, or destroyer due to the still terrible detection and ponderously huge size, it's just a tiny bit harder for light cruisers to demolish them.