Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sulghunter331

AA/Flak Fire Graphics

17 comments in this topic

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
875 posts
7,230 battles

Just watched a recent Flamu video on the boat game made by Gaijin, and in several parts, I saw how the AA guns were going off, sending off storms of tracers and flak shells. This really drove home, for me at least, just how pedestrian WoWS's AA graphics are. I've been playing since CBT and I feel as if AA graphics have fallen since then to what it is now. Does anyone else feel as if the AA graphics are too tame now, and that CBT era AA was better?

Does anyone know any mods that makes AA look more interesting?

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
7 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Just watched a recent Flamu video on the boat game made by Gaijin, and in several parts, I saw how the AA guns were going off, sending off storms of tracers and flak shells. This really drove home, for me at least, just how pedestrian WoWS's AA graphics are. I've been playing since CBT and I feel as if AA graphics have fallen since then to what it is now. Does anyone else feel as if the AA graphics are too tame now, and that CBT era AA was better?

Does anyone know any mods that makes AA look more interesting?

The difference is mainly that AA guns in game don't start shooting until aircraft get into range; where in reality if you saw an aircraft and could get bearings; everything opened up to pre-blanket the incoming vector with as much smoke and chaos as possible to deter and make aircrafts life that much more difficult.  The 'storm' you're seeing is as much a deterrant to attacks as it is an effective wall keeping planes out.  This forces enemy aircraft into another, less favorable vector where their chances of doing damage are less; which at that time it's more for the flight leader to determine if the risk of loss outweighs the possible damage they can do.

Unfortunately, planes in the game are robots.  They have no way to judge if their attack is going to be effective.  They just get sent to slaughter when we tell them to.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

I agree that WG should really turn up the AA effects (as an option as not to ruin potato pc framerates) but you have to consider the camera angles. Since the viewpoint of the player sits pretty high up in the air, you need to consider the fact that overdoing it could possibly cause visibility issues. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,486 posts
3,435 battles

WG has been aware of some of the lackluster visual effects, and have commented on it in the past. It's just not a major priority when most of their art/visual team(s) are focused on new content, especially ship lines. It's already rare for them to do full HD overhauls, that they've slowly been doing off and on.

The other part is that the simplicity of it was intended to allow toasters to still run the games and at least have a visual cue that their AA is even working, but haven't actually done a full HD pass on it for the higher spec systems.

Alpha Tester
3,436 posts
3,871 battles

The difference is that Gaijin is running on an engine designed to handle huge numbers of modeled projectiles at once, while WG isn't. WG is also more conscious about targeting low-spec machines, which comes with costs in terms of CPU-hungry content.

At the same time, I wouldn't trust Gaijin to design or balance a simgle-player linear FPS, much less handle making a multiplayer game with multiple extremely different types of units/player experience. Expect lazy and poorly balanced modes, balance decisions that repeatedly result in FoTM picks, power creep, and general high-grade incompetence.

[SBS]
Members
2,463 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, YamatoA150 said:

The other part is that the simplicity of it was intended to allow toasters to still run the games and at least have a visual cue that their AA is even working, but haven't actually done a full HD pass on it for the higher spec systems.

I'm pretty sure you're right.  In N. America most players have decent computers, but that's not the case in all parts of the world.

[RTR]
Beta Testers
306 posts
1,742 battles

Maybe an adjustable option? I saw the same video (loved the AA barge...hilarious) and felt cheated. I mean, those are all DD's and TB's, yet they still blazed the screen!

Really makes me jealous that I don't get a similar light show when my AA goes off in this game. 

Still not going to bother starting a whole different game just for the coolness of that AA painting.

Alpha Tester
3,436 posts
3,871 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

I'm pretty sure you're right.  In N. America most players have decent computers, but that's not the case in all parts of the world.

While that's true, the flipside is that it is possible to make a lot of projectiles cheaply in CPU terms, and WG St. Petersburg/Lesta has the experience to do it. I would very strongly bet that the core reason is that BigWorld is simply not designed to handle that.

Members
569 posts

I often wondered why the AA was so insignificant in World of Warships.

Sure we get the burning planes crashing into the sea but no indication of the severity of the "Wall of AA".

it would be a Great addition to the Battle IMO.

[LEGIO]
Members
2,990 posts
5,408 battles

Got a link to this video? I might be interested just to bring back memories of the wall of AAA you'd face in the IL-2 series going after the Tirpitz.

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
875 posts
7,230 battles

Fair enough, ever since I put together my own rig, I sometimes take for granted its performance. Still hope that the devs figure something out.

In the mean time, does anyone know of any mods that makes AA look a little less dull and sparse?

9 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Got a link to this video? I might be interested just to bring back memories of the wall of AAA you'd face in the IL-2 series going after the Tirpitz.

Spoiler

Thus far, only destroyers and torpedo boats, just imagine the fireworks that'd come off of a USN battleship...

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,263 battles

They really need to revamp the AA vfx. I feel it's the most lacking part of WoWs atm.

Members
1,296 posts
21,038 battles

I'd like to see the AA more like combat camera footage from WW2.  The AA wasn't a laser line to the target, but followed an arc as the target moved.

Members
2,122 posts

Game needs a new engine. WG needs to stop with the CPR and just bite the bullet.

Can you imagine physics based water, fire, smoke with tessellated damage and global illumination? It would be amazing beyond words.

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles
55 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Fair enough, ever since I put together my own rig, I sometimes take for granted its performance. Still hope that the devs figure something out.

In the mean time, does anyone know of any mods that makes AA look a little less dull and sparse?

Reveal hidden contents

Thus far, only destroyers and torpedo boats, just imagine the fireworks that'd come off of a USN battleship...

They do actually have light cruisers available at the moment, but I don't imagine them going much further.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,852 posts
12,593 battles

@sulghunter331 WG reduced the AA graphics and sounds long ago because it was over working compus on the low end of the system requirements. That was a good move to keep from losing customers that cant afford to upgrade their compu nor buy a new one. I am one of those customers. It will take me 2 or more years to safe up enough to buy a more powerful compu. So I hope that they never add anymore compu killer code.

• Bad 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,486 posts
3,435 battles
37 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@sulghunter331 WG reduced the AA graphics and sounds long ago because it was over working compus on the low end of the system requirements. That was a good move to keep from losing customers that cant afford to upgrade their compu nor buy a new one. I am one of those customers. It will take me 2 or more years to safe up enough to buy a more powerful compu. So I hope that they never add anymore compu killer code.

It doesn't mean that WG can't re-add it back as part of an HD pack or HD setting. I mean, we have optional HD Audio, optional foliage, and a number of other things that can be turned on and off. They just need to make it more efficient, computer resource-wise.

Sign in to follow this