Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Seaman_Rookie

CV Squadron Sound Bug

3 comments in this topic

[STW-A]
Members
161 posts

To the CV Captains who lose their Squadron sounds:

Since update 7.1 in mid February, I've been losing the CV Squadron sounds on my first CV game most of the time, requiring me to restart the game client to restore them. On a good day, I might not have to restart at all, but on a bad day, I've had to restart over 9 times before the cv sounds stayed on. (Like a squadron saying "group 2 under attack" when it enters a red ship's AA bubble.)

I've made a summary of my problems, and the procedures I tried before, during, and after seeking help with WoWs Support on the NA server. If you have been having the same CV Squadron sound problems, I hope this summary can help.

Since I've been using the Training Room procedure on every WoWs client launch, my CV squadron sounds have been much more reliable. I would still welcome any suggestions, as my 'pre-flight checklist' is somewhat long. (but it still beats an unknown number of client restarts needed every day!)

Seaman_Rookie (NA)

The CV Squadron Sound Bug -
-------------------------
Often in my first cv game of the day, I lose my CV squadron sounds for the rest of the match. (By "CV Squadron sounds", I'm referring
to the sounds that the airplane squadrons make such as "Group 2 ready" "Group 3 under attack" "Group 5 returning to ship")
To restore these sounds, I have to restart the WoWs client, but then I can just lose the sounds again in the next cv battle.
(Which would need another client restart, etc.)

If I can make it through the first game without losing my cv squadron sounds, I can play without losing sounds for as long
as my game client is open. Hours, or even the next day, as long as I leave my WoWs client open, the bug will not happen.
But once I close and reopen the WoWs client, then I can lose my cv squadron sounds again on the first cv game.

A short YouTube video that shows this bug is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkB-Najytg0. At the 1:50 mark, the sounds
"Group 6 under fire" and the announcer saying "enemy cruiser sunk" overlap. There are no more cv squadron sounds for the rest
of the video, though everything else is working OK.

I have 3 computers capable of playing WoWs, a custom-built machine (Intel 6-core, 32 gig RAM, GeForce 970, running Windows 10),
and 2 potato HP P7-1446 machines, one running Windows 10, the other running Windows 8.1. All 3 machines have this problem.
(My custom-built machine since version 7.1, mid Feb 2018. I tested my 2 Hewlett-Packard machines in versions 7.4/7.5 as part
of my investigation.)

Most recently, on Public Test 7.7, I played 5 times.  I lost CV squadron sounds on 4 client starts on the first coop or senario battle,.

When the Bug occurs:
-------------------
While the occurance of the CV Squadron sound loss may seem random, there is a definite pattern. If the timing of the overlap of
the announcer's voice, and the cv squadron sounds is just right, then the bug occurs.

I've found the most consistent way to reproduce this bug is by the following procedure:
1. Start WoWs (any region or Public Test)
2. Select a CV with AP bombs (like the Midway)
3. Start the Training Room with nice AP bomb targets, like tier 10 cruisers.
(small map, 12v12, unarmed nonmoving bots)
4. Soften up a cruiser with a torpedo strike to bring it's HP down enough so 1 AP bomber can finish it.
5. With 2 STACKED AP bombers on ALT attack, sink the cruiser with an ALT drop.
6. Squadron sounds "group 5 returning" and "group 6 returning" overlap with announcer's voice "enemy cruiser sunk"
7. This causes the bug, and CV squadron sounds are lost in game from that point onwards.
(Still have sounds? Continue to sink red ships by torping and bombing and see if the sounds are lost with a few more
ships. Remember... you want to sink ships by torps and bombs, not by flood or fire.)

There are many other situations where the cv squadron sounds can overlap the announcer's voice to cause the loss of
sounds, but I've found the above procedure to be the most repeatable way.

Summary of my Support Ticket with WoWs NA:
-----------------------------------------
Prior to submitting a ticket to support, I experimented with various in-game sound settings -- low / high / ultra, as well as
national voice, no horns, no F-key voice commands--all with no effect. I also did a clean install of the game client, also without
effect. I have 5 copies of WoWs on my computer, each in its own separate directory: NA, EU, CIS, SEA and the PT.
All of my game clients started losing CV Squadron sounds starting with the update to 7.1. (So I had a 2 week period where I lost
sounds only on the Public Test 7.1, but not on the NA / EU / CIS, and SEA clients running version 7.0x.)

Over the course of 5 weeks, I tried various procedures under the direction of Support NA. As with my own prior efforts,
none of these procedures made any difference.
-- updated audio driver
-- updated graphics driver
-- used "msconfig" to disable all processes other than Microsoft services
-- deleted the file named "preferences"
-- From the WoWs launcher, used "Check and Repair".
-- Never had any mods installed
-- WGcheck tool reports sent
-- Started Windows 10 in safe mode, but without any sound drivers, unable to evaluate effect.
-- Reset network connection (flushdns, winsock reset, etc.)
-- WG accessed my account, but did not find any issues
-- Adobe Flash and Java were up to date.
-- I did not/could not modify Windows 10 NET, Visual C++, or DirectX 11.
-- Checked Windows 10 firewall settings - no problems.
-- Used pingplotter (with usual results, Chicago to San Jose is the majority of my ping 40 on NA) However, my ping to
EU/CIS is about 100, and SEA 180. All clients have the same sound issues.
-- Uninstalled WoWs, Downloaded CCleaner, cleared the registery, then reinstalled WoWs NA

On my own, I replaced the hard drive with a fresh install of Windows 10, updated the audio and graphic drivers, installed the
Firefox browser, and then downloaded WoWs. First game still lost cv squadron sounds despite computer having nothing more than Windows 10,
Firefox, and WoWs.

What to do with the CV Squadron sound bug?
-----------------------------------------

As a cv main, I've had to deal with many frustrating games of lost cv squadron sounds. From trial and error, here is what
I've come up with:

If you're in game, and you've lost cv squadron sounds, the only way of restoring them is to restart the game client (even if midgame.)

To minimize the chance of losing cv squadron sounds, there seems to be a set order of events that need to occur in your
first cv game. In general terms, you want the announcer and cv squadron sounds to NOT overlap, then later that same game you
want them to definitely overlap before the game ends. Trying to do anything controlled in a random battle, or
even in a coop battle is difficult, so I went to the training room.

For the past couple of months, I've been using a set procedure every time I start up my game client, and before my first cv
game. So far, its about 95% effective in preventing the cv squadron sounds from being lost.
This procedure involves (1) getting the announcers voice to NOT overlap cv squadron sounds by sinking a ship,
then (2) to make the announcers voice overlap with cv squadron sounds by sinking another ship, and (3) conclude the game.

Here is my specific procedure that I've been using for the past 2 weeks:
1. Select Midway CV (for the 2 squadrons of AP bombers)
2. Training Room
3. Map: Islands (because it's small), 20 mins, 12v12, tier 10, cv and cruisers only. Red team with unarmed, non-moving bots.
4. Game begins, start Midway starts heading toward the red ships, launch torp 4 and 5, bomber 6 and 7
5. Use torpedo squadron 4 to hit a red cruiser and start a flood.
6. Once squadron 4 is committed in it's torpedo run, and while the cruiser is flooding,
keep all 4 squadrons busy, so there are no cv squadron messages. (Fighters 2 and 3 are still on deck.)
(waypoints to the 4 map corner will keep them flying for as long as you need)
7. Red cruiser sinks, announcer says "enemy cruiser sunk"
8. With torpedo squadron 5, damage another red cruiser.
9. Before that cruiser sinks, 'secure the kill' with the 2 stacked dive bomber squadrons.
(announcer now says "enemy cruiser sunk" overlapping with "group 6 returning to ship" and "group 7 returning to ship")
10. End the training room session either by time running out, sinking enough red cruisers for the reds go under 0 points,
or (my favorite) ram the nearest red ship with your cv and let yourself flood and sink.
NOTE: using the ESC key, or tk'ing yourself does NOT work to prevent the bug.
11. Return to port. Now I'm ready to play other cv games with a much, much smaller chance of losing my cv squadron sounds.

This procedure seems equally effective on all the servers: NA / EU / CIS / SEA / PT.

Note: Other carriers, and other red ships can be used for the above procedure, as long as the red ships sink with the
same announcer/squadron sound timing. (with IJN carriers, you can use a longer torpedo drop to dev strike the red ship rather
than flood, as long as your torp squadrons are busy flying around the map and not saying anything when the torps strike.
Also, 'securing the kill' with stacked IJN bombers are a little trickier than with AP bombs. If the ship isn't sunk
by the bombers, then try with another red ship before the training room ends.)

In Conclusion:
-------------

I hope this information is helpful to the other CV captains who may be having similar problems. Please, please let me know if anyone finds a better
solution for this problem than what I've just posted.

Thanks,
Seaman_Rookie (NA)

[USFTW]
Members
192 posts
1,963 battles

You are forgetting a crucial point: no-one plays CV anymore:Smile_popcorn:

Sign in to follow this