You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Seaman_Rookie

Are there any Instructional Clans?

6 comments in this topic

[STW-A]
Members
161 posts

Ahoy Captains!

I have a friend who is interested in joining a clan, but he has some rather serious flaws in his gameplay.  He is a nice guy and will not swear or rant at anyone in game.  (He may be one of the calmest captains in the game!)  However, he also tends to show his broadside to anyone, and often focuses on that angled battleship 12km away while not noticing the 2 cruisers at 6km showing broadsides with only 1k hp left.  (just to give 2 examples, there are more.)

I'm wondering if there is a clan who's leadership enjoys guiding their members to improve their gameplay by reviewing and practicing basic gameplay mechanics?  A leadership that likes to take in below-average players and drill them to improve their game to the average level?

If you are a leader or member of such a clan, please reply to this post and feel free to put a link to your thread in the clan recruitment section.  I'm sure my friend, and many others like him, will appreciate a friendly clan who will accept their gameplay flaws and help them to become better players.

Thanks,

Seaman_Rookie

• Bad 1

[VFW]
Members
931 posts
21,152 battles

Rookie,

Many clans can help, but help comes from within.   Coaching a new or in-need player cost time and statics.   I've tried to coach many, but it really comes down to how much the individual is willing and able to learn.  Many say they want  to learn, but usually they just want to go PEW-PEW and hope for the best.

Some tools to help are the forums, YouTube (Flamu, Noster, Mejash....I recommend) and really asking questions of experienced/good players.

Good Luck,

I

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,771 posts
6,976 battles

POP discord is happy to welcome and assist players who are learning the game, join our discord, hang out, use our looking for div tools and library, ask for advice, friendly coaching atmosphere. This does not equal joining POP, that is apart, but it is a common route that many fresh POPstars have taken:Smile_Default:

https://discord.gg/PUwa4w

[BWC]
Members
242 posts
10,086 battles

We have formal as well as informal training that can help out new players as well as players with 6K battles.  We are a mature group that love to division up and strive to be the best we can, as a team and individually.  Most times when we division up, 2 out of the 3 will be in the top 2 and all 3 of us in the top 5 (their are exceptions of course LOL).  If this sounds like a good environment for you and your friend, please check us out.

30ztwuZ.png

“One Team, One Fight”

It’s not just a thing we say, but a path we walk every day.

Find out why at the-bwc.com

WHO ARE WE?

We are a veteran founded, owned and operated military-style, international, multi-game Outfit with over 10 years of continuous excellence in gaming. You can expect a highly organized unit that provides training, teamwork, and a professional gaming attitude. Roughly half of our members are active-duty military, prior service, retired, and/or combat veterans. We are not a guild, we are not a clan. We are an organization that stresses teamwork, unity, loyalty and fun.

A military background is by no means a requirement but understand that we are competitive by nature. We’re in this game for competition and fun, but we believe winning is fun and the two are never mutually exclusive.

BWC will expend concise, effective effort where and when it is needed in order to insure our success in all aspects of this game.

We are not just a Warships group.The BWC is highly active and fully supported in many other games such as Planetside 2, MechWarrior Online, Arma 3, Star Citizen and World of Warcraft. Some of the mentioned games are free to play and we encourage you to join us for them. 

Our ethos is “One Team, One Fight.” That posture colors every single thing we do as a gaming community and family.

Find out why at the-bwc.com

MANIFESTO

Commander’s Intent for BWC is to be the best Outfit we can possibly be in all facets of the game we choose to engage in.

We won’t restrict ourselves from using valid in game tactics and doctrine if those restrictions hinder our ability to consistently achieve victory conditions.

We are not the good guys. We are not the bad guys. We are BWC.

We’ll react to hostility and aggression as expected and as the situation warrants. This can be considered the core of our stance on how we’ll interact with the universe around us.

We make no promises, we stand by no pledges past the fundamental one we make to our brothers and sisters flying to either side of us.

We are in this together, as a team, and we will do what is required to support our existing habits of victory and success.

One Team, One Fight.

CHARTER

For over 10 years the members of the Black Widow Company, regardless of rank or position, have adhered to a detailed Standard Operating Procedure.

This SOP influences and governs everything we do as a professional gaming Outfit and has evolved as BWC has evolved as a gaming community.

As with all gaming properties that BWC engages in, there is also a game specific SOP that address the unique conditions and considerations required to achieve victory conditions and success within that gaming environment.

These unique conditions may be based on structure, game mechanics, Outfit goals and roles engaged in.

To find out more and discover how BWC SOPs work and how they apply to our presence in World of Warship, submit your application for membership at www.the-bwc.com.

The BWC accepts all applications at our website.

No applications will be accepted on this forum.

JOIN US AT http://the-bwc.com/

30ztwuZ.png

dark.png

Black Widow Company. "One team, One fight". 

Find out more at the-bwc.com, our Recruitment Thread or our BWC broadcasting channel.

• Bad 1

[KSC]
Members
41 posts
14,761 battles

ADOPT is a generally well regarded clan that makes it a mission to teach players how to improve.  I personally have a lot of respect for their group.  If your buddy is willing to listen and take instruction they may be able to help him out.

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

Why clans can't help people learn the game...

I hate to be discouraging, but don't expect a clan to make someone better. I made that mistake! After four or five months of diligent play with clan, including discord attendance almost every night, my stats (Win Rate and related stats) actually went down, rather than up. And it wasn't a bad clan, as clan's go - it's fairly well organized, and its leadership was trained in one of the finest leadership training programs in the world - the U.S.Army officer corps.

There are many reasons for my failure, and your mileage may vary. Nevertheless, failure stories seem to outnumber success stories.

In general clans don't have 24x7 instructors on call. At the very least, check and make sure that their well-regarded instructors play at the same time you do (or your friend does). They should have the time to "take on" new students. Even then, chances are low that the instructor has any professional knowledge of educational methods. People trained in how to educate others (especially adults) don't play this game much. Most instructors are volunteers, and more than a few do it for ego reasons. I would be amazed and pleasantly surprised if any WoWS clan instructors even knew about learning styles (such as the three primary categories - visual, auditory, kinesthetic). I would be bowled over if a clan had an instructor with an MA or PhD in education, actually put together lesson plans, and used evaluation techniques to improve their practices as a teacher. In other words, the people responsible for educating America's children are significantly "better" at teaching than anyone a clan can offer.

I discovered that I had to create my own educational program in WoWS.

Written material is very thin. On these forums, the various posts by "Little White Mouse" (LWM) can be informative. For definitive ships stats in the game, you can check out the official wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships. Unfortunately, World of Tanks and World of Warplanes is mixed into that same wiki, making the search feature of limited use.

Among video streamers, I found these were well-regarded and helpful: iChase, Flamu, Notser, and sometimes NoZoupForYou. Wargaming.net's own channel of instructional videos (https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/) can also be of some use. Before taking any new ship into battle, I have watched one or more videos about the ship. This helped me understand the ship's strengths and weaknesses, and to see it handled extremely well. Always bear in mind that the game has changed over the years, and therefore specific tactics, captain skill or ship mod recommendations may be out of date.

Finally and most importantly, after each battle I conducted an AAR (after action review) of what I saw of the battle. I often watched the battle after I was sunk, just to understand more about the overall course of events, and how victory or defeat happened. Experience is a good teacher only if you spend the time to learn from it. In my AARs, I concentrated on what I could have done to...

•              Increase the chance of victory.
  •              Stay alive, with attention to any unwise choices that sank me.
  •              inflict more damage on the enemy, with special attention to lost opportunities.

Following this program, I've found my stats are slowly rising. I only wish I'd started this earlier. By waiting until 1,000 battles, I have the "dead weight" of my past failures slowing down any increase in my stats, which can be discouraging when trying build stats good enough for some competitive clans. I suggest using "Warships Today" (https://na.warships.today/) for viewing stats. That site shows more recent stats compared to earlier stats, which should be a morale booster.

• Cool 1