You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

Scharnhorst 50% Discount 7/20!!!!!

55 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

That's a hell of a deal for her! I'd get her if I didn't already have her on both NA and EU. 

Kinda wish you got her full gold amount for buying her on sale, though. I mean, when you buy her on sale, you're still getting a $50.00 ship. But if you already own her you only get $20.00 worth of gold. 

[FML]
Members
1,776 posts
10,159 battles
11 minutes ago, Merlox said:

https://asia.wargaming.net/shop/wows/specials/6810/

Daaaaamn, Finally I'll have this tomorrow!

Nice. 

I encourage people to get the Scharnhorst. It is an excellent premium - lots of fun, easy to use, flexible when top or bottom tier, as more often top tier, good credit earner, strong captain trainer, and provides different gameplay to tech tree ships (ie Gneisenau). 

And plenty of laughs when you run up to a hapless Colorado and shove torps up it.

If you only buy one premium ship, get the Scharnhorst. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DENY]
Members
347 posts
4,782 battles

Tempted but lately I only play my t10 and the mass most of the time

[SIDE]
Members
734 posts
3,298 battles
3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

Tempted but lately I only play my t10 and the mass most of the time

You should jump on and do some T6-7 battles. It's a whole different community and almost feels like a totally different game. (The somewhat lack of Radar, as well as the brawling goes through the roof) With a premium, you can transfer your Tech 10 captain to these ships. =)

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,481 posts
3,430 battles

Obligatory Yuro's video on Shiny Horse. The captain skill recommendation is outdated, but the rest of the video is still relevant. Caution: be wary of a... foul mouth at the beginning.

Spoiler

A very, very GUD BOTE. This ship was pretty much my top pick for running Tier VII Operations... it can really go anywhere, and do anything. 50% off sale is a freaking STEAL. I highly recommend anyone who does not have her yet to pick her up during this sale.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[DENY]
Members
347 posts
4,782 battles
28 minutes ago, Merlox said:

You should jump on and do some T6-7 battles. It's a whole different community and almost feels like a totally different game. (The somewhat lack of Radar, as well as the brawling goes through the roof) With a premium, you can transfer your Tech 10 captain to these ships. =)

I know I get the furataka out once in while , just not much in the German line right now , 

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,973 battles

Well well well...

I was planning to get Roma but now this? 

"Scharnhorst" + "50% off" = Instabuy. 

Its a good thing I held off buying this ship before, this is a nice deal.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,805 battles
53 minutes ago, Merlox said:

https://asia.wargaming.net/shop/wows/specials/6810/

Daaaaamn, Finally I'll have this tomorrow!

One of the most fun ships in the game.

Fast reloading guns.

German secondaries.

Torpedoes on both sides.

Fast.

If you look in dictionary at the definition of fun ship, her picture is there.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,481 posts
3,430 battles
35 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You only get silver now. They ended us wallet warriorsgold mining ability.

No, you get the doubloons, but the amount is reduced to reflect the discount. It says right there on the news page that announces the daily ship-for-sale.

Members
138 posts
13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

No, you get the doubloons, but the amount is reduced to reflect the discount. It says right there on the news page that announces the daily ship-for-sale.

Well. 

it was a reason not to spend money during summer sale.

its a kick to the quad for all long tine customers.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

How noob friendly is this ship?

What are its bad points? 

[-TC]
[-TC]
Members
308 posts
1,737 battles

If I would've known about this like 2 weeks ago, I would've waited till now to get the scharnhorst. But instead, I used 9500 doubloons I had to get her when I bought 25,000. Rip me.

But other than that.. she has been a fun ship. Only thing I don't like is the constant over-pen or shell shattering or bouncing. But, the torps come in handy as it'll save you in bat crazy scenarios during battle. And also a very good brawler in matching tiers.

Oh.. and her secondaries are excellent. 

Edited by DevilFreak_

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,481 posts
3,430 battles
Just now, BlailBlerg said:

What are its bad points? 

It's an overgrown destroyer that can fight DD's, cruisers, and BB's equally, with fantastic 20 seconds reload on the main guns, plus triple torpedo launcher on each side for shoving some fish up the face of any ship that comes too close, and great secondaries for going PEW PEW PEW while brawling, with good AA for making planes cry, plus the Certified German Turtleback Armor (tm), plus a good speed for going everywhere she needs to go.

Down side? It's German. So long range sniping isn't the forte. But who needs sniping when the bote is so awesome? LOL.

I say she's quite newbie friendly, though some people might frown if you just jump into mid tier without playing German BB's at lower tiers first.

Spoiler

My 2 doubloons.

[-WPG-]
Members
819 posts
3,401 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Nice. 

I encourage people to get the Scharnhorst. It is an excellent premium - lots of fun, easy to use, flexible when top or bottom tier, as more often top tier, good credit earner, strong captain trainer, and provides different gameplay to tech tree ships (ie Gneisenau). 

And plenty of laughs when you run up to a hapless Colorado and shove torps up it.

If you only buy one premium ship, get the Scharnhorst. 

Agreed. I was on the fence about it due to its relatively small BB guns. But I got so many doubloons from the Steam sales I took a chance. Without a doubt, if you get one premium it should be the Sharnhorst. It addresses the 3 main issues with BBs in general:

- BBs are slow. The Sharnhorst is fast. 

- BBs have slow rate of fire. 20 second reload even faster with AR. 

- Slow turret traverse. You don't need EM with the Sharnhorst. It's traverse is better than some cruisers. 

It has hard hitting torps with probably the best firing angles in the game.  It has good AA. It still cits cruisers easily. You're top-tier 70% of the time. You're tanky. If you run a secondary-build BB capain on it that's yet another weapon. 

Just get it. It's a good deal at full price. At this price you should eat ramen for a few days if necessary to afford it.  

Edit - I should add I have a 15 point captain on my T6 Bayern because how often I play him on the Sharnhorst.  It's an excellent captain trainer simply because it's one of those ships you play every day for the daily bonus, because it's so fun to play. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,028 battles

Is half price thing for Scharnhorst just cash or is it for Doubloons as well? Because I can’t spend any cash unfortunately. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles

LOL sorry for the guys the spent money for Ashitaka only to see Scharnhorst roll right in the day after!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,209 posts
14,630 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

What are its bad points? 

Broken Zeiss Optics (Unreliable gunnery).

As with other Tier VI-VII BBs, cannot bow tank the larger guns of some BBs, notably 406mm+.

If you spec for Secondaries, which is a highlight of German BBs, the gunnery is laughably bad at range.

AA is very mediocre and expect CVs to pick on you.

The ship is very forgiving in terms of survival.  Turtlebacks, speed, agility makes her sail very well and you'll feel safe.  Depending on how you build, you'll gain specific strengths and conceding weaknesses.

The typical Scharnhorst build is Secondaries, and as said before, your Main Battery will then become unreliable.

If you build for Main Battery, your Secondaries will not be kicka** for the knife fights, especially against DDs.  As a Tier VII, it's not surprising to get into knife fights with DDs because many DDs at Tier VII and below have awful detection ranges and need to get into <10km.

Again, overall a good ship.  She was the undisputed queen of Tier VII BBs for a very long time until Nelson and KGV arrived.  If you're an aggressive player, this is the ship for you.  When you see a proper opening to push hard, Scharnhorst will be a wrecking ball.  But do this at the wrong time and you'll get focus fired down.  But as a Tier VII, she will get ample opportunities to go fast and plow into some very slow ships that can't get away, and you'll have your way with them.

One of my funniest memories with this ship was coming around an island to surprise 2 New Yorks, watching their panic when they see me and their sailing becomes erratic and scattered.  Killed one after the other and there was nothing they could do to defend themselves.  They couldn't run.  They couldn't gun me down.  They couldn't angle to save themselves.  They got worthless armor.  They got sh*t guns.  They got sh*t secondaries.  It was like a Lion eating baby lambs.  As a Tier VII, this is what Scharnhorst can do when feeding on poor Tier V-VI ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,007 posts
4,451 battles

waiting for de grasse deal,maybe mutsu,a tier7 dd perhaps. that summersale is pretty good.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,414 posts
4,302 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL sorry for the guys the spent money for Ashitaka only to see Scharnhorst roll right in the day after!

As I type this, where I am now they are still offering the Ashitaka for 25 more minutes.

I am in the very good place of knowing not only what's currently here but also what's coming next. And seeing what's next makes me not want what's still here. :cap_like:

Depending on how you build, you'll gain specific strengths and conceding weaknesses.

The typical Scharnhorst build is Secondaries, and as said before, your Main Battery will then become unreliable.

If you build for Main Battery, your Secondaries will not be kicka** for the knife fights, especially against DDs. 

You know, it's really a pity they didn't give us an HSF Scharnhorst alongside the original, instead of the Graf Spee... (Granted, the ability to have the best of both worlds is probably WHY they didn't.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[13CLM]
Members
218 posts
1,229 battles

Damn, another arm twisting purchase for me. This will be the third ship I purchase from this sale. I really like the German lines, I'm up to to T7 in the cruisers, close to getting to T8. My best CPT is a 13-P German. I have the K Albert and Graf Spee using them CPT trainers. I really like playing the Graf Spee, she is an interesting ship. I've been eyeing the Scharnhorst for a while, should be nice add for my CPT training rotation.

[LUCK]
Members
1,315 posts
19,709 battles

One of my funniest memories with this ship was coming around an island to surprise 2 New Yorks, watching their panic when they see me and their sailing becomes erratic and scattered.  Killed one after the other and there was nothing they could do to defend themselves.  They couldn't run.  They couldn't gun me down.  They couldn't angle to save themselves.  They got worthless armor.  They got sh*t guns.  They got sh*t secondaries.  It was like a Lion eating baby lambs.  As a Tier VII, this is what Scharnhorst can do when feeding on poor Tier V-VI ships.

Lest we forget those glorious times that happen in Scharn such as passing between 2 ships and torping each both left and right- just because you can. Double strike is a bonus.

• Cool 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,007 posts
4,451 battles

secondary build scharn is pretty cool but i think the main battery is more reliable to deal with DDs instead of the "nerfed" secondaries.

[FOG]
Members
329 posts
4,845 battles
7 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Lest we forget those glorious times that happen in Scharn such as passing between 2 ships and torping each both left and right- just because you can. Double strike is a bonus.

Truth be told, whenever I have the chance to do this I always think of Yuro's "How to Scharnhorst" video....