You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

I feel like we missed something along the way..

21 comments in this topic

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

Reading through a lot of the comments on the forums including my own i feel like we missed the key word to this game and that's the word "FUN". I know saying this i'm probably going to get flames from people saying that "fun is different for each person" and while that may be true, it would be hard to see fun in most of the posts on the forums these days. It makes the game seem so black and white in appearance.

"You win or lose there's no between! Bad teams or bad ships, it doesn't matter! It's a barrier to my (us, we) our fun!"

It's so easy to get lost in the stats of the game and forget that what drew most us to the game to begin with wasn't stats but ships. But boy one seems to go with the other these days. "You are your stats" seems to be a common mantra, and while true the stats seem to undercut the very reason why we are here sometimes, which is just to have fun. That's why i play or thought i did until i found myself staying out of randoms solo in order to secure a better win rate though.

But...but fun? Ships!

I do love this game. It's usually up on my comp all day in the background behind other things to play with clan mates. But now i've found that i don't have "fun" solo anymore and it made me pause to think a moment for why i play and what "fun" really is. How do you guys see it?

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 6

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,302 battles

I would imagine most of the people actually having fun aren't on the forums other than in Off-Topic or Historical Ship Discussion, because they would be off having fun.

So naturally you get an unusually high concentration of salt here. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
6 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

I would imagine most of the people actually having fun aren't on the forums other than in Off-Topic or Historical Ship Discussion, because they would be off having fun.

So naturally you get an unusually high concentration of salt here. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Ah not worrying about it really. Just pondering on the word fun and this game. The more you play this game the more fun evolves it seems. At first you are content to actually hit ships and then as you get better and play more you begin to look for citadels in every shot. That's how i'm thinking about it right now i guess. Not so much the salt content. That's not the game, that's just human nature.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 2

[LWA]
Members
47 posts
4,191 battles
39 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Reading through a lot of the comments on the forums including my own i feel like we missed the key word to this game and that's the word "FUN". I know saying this i'm probably going to get flames from people saying that "fun is different for each person" and while that may be true, it would be hard to see fun in most of the posts on the forums these days. It makes the game seem so black and white in appearance.

"You win or lose there's no between! Bad teams or bad ships, it doesn't matter! It's a barrier to my (us, we) our fun!"

It's so easy to get lost in the stats of the game and forget that what drew most us to the game to begin with wasn't stats but ships. But boy one seems to go with the other these days. "You are your stats" seems to be a common mantra, and while true the stats seem to undercut the very reason why we are here sometimes, which is just to have fun. That's why i play or thought i did until i found myself staying out of randoms solo in order to secure a better win rate though.

But...but fun? Ships!

I do love this game. It's usually up on my comp all day in the background behind other things to play with clan mates. But now i've found that i don't have "fun" solo anymore and it made me pause to think a moment for why i play and what "fun" really is. How do you guys see it?

Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but the irony between the display picture of a salty guy going "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and the topic of "we should have fun" is mildly amusing to me. 

Edited by Musouka
  • Funny 3

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,050 battles
Just now, Musouka said:

Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but the irony between the display picture of a salty guy going "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and the topic is mildly amusing to me. 

Ok, at least I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
Just now, Musouka said:

Not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but the irony between the display picture of a salty guy going "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" and the topic is mildly amusing to me. 

I'm not mad about a loss or anything like that.

The topic basically boils down to or at least my feeling on it is, i miss the simple fun i used to have. And i'm looking to find it again if i can. Do others feel the same way?

[LWA]
Members
47 posts
4,191 battles

There's nothing wrong with the topic or the goal, just noting that your display pic contrasts it in a humorous way.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles

Fun is a lot like happiness in that it's not what most people think it is.

Fun is an activity that produces enjoyment. Enjoyment is a feeling of satisfaction. You general are satisfied when you achieve your goals. Therefore, you can be satisfied (i.e., have had fun) after doing something that is not necessarily pleasurable due to a sense of accomplishment. 

• Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
Just now, Musouka said:

There's nothing wrong with the topic or the goal, just noting that your display pic contrasts it in a humorous way.

Oh. Yeah i was just looking at it, and now i see what you mean. Derp. :cap_haloween:

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Fun is an activity that produces enjoyment. Enjoyment is a feeling of satisfaction. You general are satisfied when you achieve your goals. Therefore, you can be satisfied (i.e., have had fun) after doing something that is not necessarily pleasurable due to a sense of accomplishment. 

Well said. That i think is what has changed for me. It went from pewpew to win win and its like wait...where did that change?!

I used to spam grind randoms without much thought. Now the idea makes me cringe. It's like nope nope. Then i realize i'm not having fun and just staring at the dock waiting for clan mates to show up and wonder where i went wrong.

Edited by xalmgrey

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,448 posts
11,755 battles

What is you definition of fun?

Playing solo, I have fun ships and a couple of grinding ships.

Playing in division, we have fun together and frustrations together. We all know that randoms are stacked against divisions and the best team is the red one, right?....

Seriously, I find I play different in division and sometimes the ROLE I play in division isn't as fun as solo, but the camaraderie makes up for it.

Clan Wars, win or loose, dam it I finally have Teamwork. And yes, we have fun even if we lose.

Let me give you a few examples.

Solo play fun ships: Umikazi, Derzki, kamikaze, Atlanta and Schornhurst. No matter the outcome of the game, these ships are downright fun to sail out of port.

Divisions: the other day I hooked up with a couple of new clan mates and they were grinding tiers 5 to 7. It was fun pulling my premiums and keeper ships out and playing those lowered tiers, whilst getting to know these guys.

Clan Wars, Wednesday we didn't have our regulars on, so 5 new members got to play CW for the first time. 5 wins and 3 close losses.  Just hearing those guys enjoying a new experience was fun...

Having fun in a game is what you make of it and what you TAKE OUT OF IT... it is all in your mindset.

If you not having fun, change something up, heck play Co-Op to get out of the funk.

If I could I'd post Jingles meme, why are mad, it's just a game....

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,837 battles

Fun is fun, I wouldn't play if it wasn't.

I admit its more a perverse fun taking out my RN CLs or a brawling BB, but when I personally play well regardless if result its fun.

The models, actions that a ship can do make me come back to this game over and over.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
39 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

What is you definition of fun?

Playing solo, I have fun ships and a couple of grinding ships.

Playing in division, we have fun together and frustrations together. We all know that randoms are stacked against divisions and the best team is the red one, right?....

Seriously, I find I play different in division and sometimes the ROLE I play in division isn't as fun as solo, but the camaraderie makes up for it.

Clan Wars, win or loose, dam it I finally have Teamwork. And yes, we have fun even if we lose.

Let me give you a few examples.

Solo play fun ships: Umikazi, Derzki, kamikaze, Atlanta and Schornhurst. No matter the outcome of the game, these ships are downright fun to sail out of port.

Divisions: the other day I hooked up with a couple of new clan mates and they were grinding tiers 5 to 7. It was fun pulling my premiums and keeper ships out and playing those lowered tiers, whilst getting to know these guys.

Clan Wars, Wednesday we didn't have our regulars on, so 5 new members got to play CW for the first time. 5 wins and 3 close losses.  Just hearing those guys enjoying a new experience was fun...

Having fun in a game is what you make of it and what you TAKE OUT OF IT... it is all in your mindset.

If you not having fun, change something up, heck play Co-Op to get out of the funk.

If I could I'd post Jingles meme, why are mad, it's just a game....

I really think Snargfargle pretty much nailed my thinking:

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

To me it tells me i need to reevaluate why i'm playing. At first it was the ships and such, spamming randoms working my way up tiers. After a while though it stopped being enough, so i looked for a clan. Got into the Lone Wolf clan (which is great if you want to be solo for clan benefits) and for a while i was. But something was missing after a while. Grinding tiers stopped feeling rewarding the higher i got. Started reading about the game, got a little more informed about the various armor schemes, and lay outs of various ships etc and then joined SYN for Clan Battles. Huge difference.

It's weird but the more i read into the game the less i was enjoying just the baseline experience while at the same time becoming a better player and learning. And then i learned i didn't like what i was seeing for stats. Suddenly the game went sideways on me. And if you surround yourself with good players, ones view on the game can change drastically.

Edited by xalmgrey

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Paying attention to stats and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

Also, nobody is getting rich playing warships...there is zero reason to play this game if you aren't having fun.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles
32 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Paying attention to stats and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

Also, nobody is getting rich playing warships...there is zero reason to play this game if you aren't having fun.

If you are an old-school gamer, you will remember when games were almost entirely based on stats because back in the day we didn't yet have fancy graphics. While I don't dwell on my stats, they are a way to assess how well I am playing and certain statistical values are a goal to try to achieve. Just like anything, however, one can manipulate stats. I have a purple "unicum" account I started that has amazing stats. I don't play it -- I just played 70 games to see what a normally good player could accomplish on a re-roll. Essentially, any good player can become a stats "unicum" on a re-roll. 

Win rate 68.12% 
Super Unicum
Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,346 posts
13,069 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You're confusing fun, enjoyment, happiness and satisfaction

Fun is gratification (usually immediate), delayed gratification is not fun even if it brings more rewards in the end

If grinding is not fun and is painful, then the absence of grinding is more fun and less painful

The removal of pain is RELIEF … not necessarily true happiness or even real accomplishment (self-realization)

Think of this game more as an addiction and you'll arrive at the right conclusions

Edited by Commander_367

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,864 posts
12,608 battles

@xalmgrey Great points! Fun yes indeed I have plenty even when things go bad and others get disgusting in chat. None of that bothers me at all. I have no concern for others stats god bad or ugly and I don't give a rats a$$ what others think of mine! I am an old man who has been war gaming for over 60 years and I have always done that for fun! I still do this for fun and to those who come unglued when a battle goes haywire my advice is chill out dude This Is Only A Game and no one is going to drop dead during a SimuA$$Whooping!

That is all Carry on!

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
5 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

I'm not mad about a loss or anything like that.

The topic basically boils down to or at least my feeling on it is, i miss the simple fun i used to have. And i'm looking to find it again if i can. Do others feel the same way?

I stopped focused grinding, I just play what I wanna play, I ignore missions that suck too much of my life, I pretend Campaigns aren't there...... If stuff gets done, great, if not... it's a game, not a lifestyle.

It literally will take me a year to grind from Gadjah to YY, but I don't care. YY will have probably been nerfed into dust by the time I get to it, why break with tradition now?

I play a lot of Clemson, because it's a fun ship. Same with Gremmy and Atlanta (Sims too I guess). If I didn't have those ships to take my frustrations out in I am not sure I'd still be playing or even remotely interested. I also try to division as much as I can considering it's a lot more fun to share the misery of a trainwreck game with buddies so you can all laugh about it together. Solo... not so much.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

I have a lot of fun playing this game. I could say a lot about all the different aspects of this game that I find fun. But I think it all boils down to attitude. Only you can control your own attitude, and if you can have a good attitude about this game then there are plenty of things about it that are fun.

All else is secondary -- if you want to have fun, then you can.

Maybe you (you in the generic sense) need help to have more fun: learning certain information about how things work, learning to be a better player, playing with other players, working with a clan to achieve a certain level in Clan Battles, divisioning up to grind Operations, etc. If so get that help or support.

But at the end of the day, I guarantee you this game is fun if you allow it to be, so relax, take a deep breath and go do whatever is fun in the game.

[P.S. one thing that has added to the fun for me is voice comms. Being able to chat with people adds a lot. Meeting strangers who are friendly and give really good advice and invite you to play together when they see in the game is great. Discord is better than the game client voice chat because you can talk to people who you aren't divisioned with and you can keep talking when your game crashes. And Discord is extremely easy to use.]

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,412 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Snargfargle nailed it. IMO westerners have this notion that they need to be happy. Happiness is fleeting, what we should be asking ourselves is are we content? 

[PSP]
Members
6,262 posts
8,901 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

The removal of pain is RELIEF … not necessarily true happiness or even real accomplishment (self-realization)

Socrates, when his chains were removed just prior to is execution, stated much the same thing. However he also said that he had been, and was, happy, even when in pain. In his eyes happiness was doing the best you could in order to serve your society, even if that society turned on you and ordered your execution. BTW, they were executing a legitimate war hero, as Socrates was an experienced and respected hoplite who had served his city in several wars. This is one of the episodes that turned Plato against democracy, for he realized that democracy can become a tyranny of the easily-swayed masses.  

• Cool 1