You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Des Moines Legendary Mod - My opinion on it.

15 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,040 battles

Finally got the legendary mod. Here's what the mod is supposed to do:

shot-18_07.20_00_22.48-0280.thumb.jpg.b0bbfe48d8df128f7ce0e88b99920b79.jpg

Rudder shift time -20%

Time to reach full speed -50%

Reduction of radar operating time - 10%

Note that the mod is located in the 6th slot. So that nerfs either your reload time or range extension. So you're stuck with stock values for reload speed and range (5.5 sec/15.8 km).

There are two ways you can use the enhanced propulsion module: Stack it with propulsion mod 2 or steering gears mod 2.  I didn't bother trying  to stack steering gears mod2.  It would give the Des Moines a 5.5 sec vs a  6.9 dev rudder shift, but that would only work if the Des Moines have shell ballistics like the Moskava or Zao. It will not turn the DM into an open water cruiser.

Stacking it with propulsion mod 2 is interesting. 0-27 knots takes about 3 seconds. 27-33 knots takes another 3 seconds. Deceleration times are the same. 

What does this mean? It means means now you can really be an island humper. Sit next to an island, fire at the offending red ship. Go into reverse and duck behind your island waifu when 6 ships lock on to you. You only lose a quarter of your HP pool rather 1/2. Wait till they lose contact. Zoom out/crash stop and resume firing.

I consider the legendary upgrade more of a side grade. You gain the ability to sprint at the cost of reload speed/range. I consider range to be the one thing I miss the most. I would had preferred that the mod be slotted in either slot 4 or slot 5.  It is great for island hugging, but that means you'll be dependent on the presence of maps with islands and knowing where to park the DM to great effect. Useful for random, but I wouldn't recommend it clan battles/ranked.

Members
1,642 posts
2,155 battles

I don't have the Des Moines yet but heard somebody say it wasn't worth it. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,749 battles

Can you sell legendary upgrades for credits? It's not really an upgrade, as you say, so if I arrive at it, I won't use it. 

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

3 seconds for 0-27 would be extraordinary. Consider that shell flight times are often somewhere in the region of 5-10 seconds; one could use this mod to consistently dodge all shells in open waters. One could sit broadside to a yammy in open waters, and still dodge all her shells even if one only starts accelerating 2-4 seconds after she fires. Frankly I can't even image how gimpy that must look. Still, if it's true, that might make it worth while, even for clan and ranked battles. You could really bait BB shells so hard it's not even funny.

PS I once heard that the normal acceleration mod only affects acceleration from 0-6 knots. Does the same apply to this legendary mod?

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

reminds of playing the mino and I hit forward to dodge a torp only to find out I'm at 30knts and 2 squares removed from my smoke.....

See the source image

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
3 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

3 seconds for 0-27 would be extraordinary. Consider that shell flight times are often somewhere in the region of 5-10 seconds; one could use this mod to consistently dodge all shells in open waters. One could sit broadside to a yammy in open waters, and still dodge all her shells even if one only starts accelerating 2-4 seconds after she fires. Frankly I can't even image how gimpy that must look. Still, if it's true, that might make it worth while, even for clan and ranked battles. You could really bait BB shells so hard it's not even funny.

PS I once heard that the normal acceleration mod only affects acceleration from 0-6 knots. Does the same apply to this legendary mod?

As a Yamato user I greatly PROTEST!!!!!! lol

[INTEL]
Members
6,667 posts
25,801 battles
10 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Can you put this mod on a DD?

No. Each T10 ship can earn one Legendary Module Each one is different and only for said ship.

Edited by alexf24

[INTEL]
Members
6,667 posts
25,801 battles

I compiled a little list with notes from Flamu's review of Legendary Modules, so I see which ones I am interested in pursuing (I have all T10 ships except  CVs which I don't do).

My list says:

Des Moines: No. Garbage module.

So I am in no hurry for that one and will not use.

There are others I am interested in (still working on them), e.g. Zao, Henri, Hindenburg

Edited by alexf24

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,621 posts
8,912 battles

The DM mod makes playing it Open water a little easier but that’s not how many people will play the DM, your going to give up range or reload. I am a DM main for both CB and KoTS and the better accel can save you if your not quite in cover from being blapped and or if your trying to help shoot at a target.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,040 battles
6 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Does the mod affect deceleration as well? 

That it does. 33 to 0 knots takes 6 seconds overall. 33-27 takes 3 seconds. 27-0 takes another 3. That also makes it useful for dodging torps.

6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Can you sell legendary upgrades for credits? It's not really an upgrade, as you say, so if I arrive at it, I won't use it. 

Dunno about that.

5 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

Well, that was what the note for this upgrade said in the game website. There are numerous factors you'll have to consider on whether you can dodge/tank the shells thrown your way.  My opinion (since I have not tested it and I don't want to) is that it's easier to doge torps using the legendary mod than it is to dodge shells.  The DM's maximum engagement range with the mod (15.8 km) means shells flight times will be shorter and you're a bigger target than at 18.3.  If you compare the Zao's legendary mod with the DM's, it's a far better mod for dodging shells:

1. You have a 2.8 sec Zao rudder shift vs 4.8 sec maximum DM rudder shift. You can achieve that by stacking SGM2 with the legendary mod DM mod.

2. The Zao legendary mod doesn't ask you to give up something really important. You still keep the range and reload times for the Zao.

I've been able to dodge/tank shells AFTER they've been fired comfortably. Not sure if it can be done with the DM.

42 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I compiled a little list with notes from Flamu's review of Legendary Modules, so I see which ones I am interested in pursuing (I have all T10 ships except  CVs which I don't do).

My list says:

Des Moines: No. Garbage module.

So I am in no hurry for that one and will not use.

There are others I am interested in (still working on them), e.g. Zao, Henri, Hindenburg

Note that Flamu didn't say why it's garbage. Flamu is a min/max sort of guy and giving up something useful for the upgrade i something that he (or I for that matter) would like. The mod does work consistently in the island humping mode since you're able to back up and go behind  an island faster. the real problem I have in support of a dd capping is that the reds decide I'm an easier target to shoot at rather than the DD I'm supporting.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,040 battles
30 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

The DM mod makes playing it Open water a little easier but that’s not how many people will play the DM, your going to give up range or reload. I am a DM main for both CB and KoTS and the better accel can save you if your not quite in cover from being blapped and or if your trying to help shoot at a target.

You can "sprint" to a covering position far quicker definitely.

Members
1 post
6,513 battles

note - it does NOT decelerate any faster.  34.6 (speed signal) to 0 takes about 30 seconds.  33-0 is about 28 seconds I believe  That is going from full power to full reverse.   Also, the writeup on it is incorrect.  While it does take off real quick, about the speed of most dd's, it's not 0-27 in 3 seconds.  I believe that's a typo, it does about 0-10 in 3 seconds, 0-27 in 8 seconds..  0-30 in 10 seconds.  This is stacked with Propulsion Mod 2.  I've been running in for about a week now.  As others have side, it's not really an upgrade, but I do like some aspects of it, and has saved me multiple times, especially on the backing up real quick to dodge torps.

FYI, I tend to play DM more open water and challenge caps, push dd's on caps.  I do sometimes sit behind islands if there's a large number of bb's, but I did not do so as much in past as it takes forever to slow down, and if you get pushed on sides, it takes a long time to get out of there..  not so much with this.