Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Gneisen-ooooooooh.

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I haven't played the G-man for awhile so got a few more games in it and figured out why.  The guns are just... just so, so bad. 

6 of them... 

colorado has 8, scharn has 9, nag has 8... ashitaka has 10... normandie has 12 I think. 

Gneis has an armor profile that makes it really tough to deal with at close range but good grief the guns are are so bad the shells miss the end of the barrel half the time. 

give it a sigma of .8 for all I care- but do whatever you need to do so it misses everything at 20km but murders under 12. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
7 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

True, I don't miss mine at all.

That's it though- it could be a keeper but good lord those guns are pandemic level bad. 

Edited by _ENO_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,081 battles

Currently sitting in my port, unused since I got the Bismarck.

The main guns are so horrible, also the fact that you have to face Scharnhorst with the historical guns. Every time that happens I feel cheated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
210
[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
775 posts
63 battles

This ship is the most brilliant brawler...yet only found on the backline. 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=4988274

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,072 posts
4,518 battles

I loved the gneisenau. Once I learned to close the distance to 10km or less it was a blast. Guaranteed citadels with almost every salvo, the trolling armor and melting secondaries was just the best. My love for it and the Bismarck has convinced me to buy their sister ships. 

That being said I have a weird thing where I love and do relatively well in the ships everyone hates and fail miserably with the ships everyone swears is the best in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,617 posts
3,582 battles
5 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I loved the gneisenau. Once I learned to close the distance to 10km or less it was a blast. Guaranteed citadels with almost every salvo, the trolling armor and melting secondaries was just the best. My love for it and the Bismarck has convinced me to buy their sister ships. 

That being said I have a weird thing where I love and do relatively well in the ships everyone hates and fail miserably with the ships everyone swears is the best in the game.

Nah,  the Gneisenau is actually considered quite good overall.  She just requires getting closer than a lot of people are comfortable getting,  which is understandable.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
719 posts
9,924 battles

Well there is a bright side.  Myogi is receiving a 2.0 sigma buff and it has the same amount of guns as Gneisenau, but better dispersion (I know right?)  IF it turns out to be a success, then that would promote the same buff to Gneisenau.  I doubt they'll buff the German ship at the last second in these upcoming group patches (because Frd.G seems to take more president than this one) but again, let's see how Myogi works out after the buff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
210
[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
775 posts
63 battles
8 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Well there is a bright side.  Myogi is receiving a 2.0 sigma buff and it has the same amount of guns as Gneisenau, but better dispersion (I know right?)  IF it turns out to be a success, then that would promote the same buff to Gneisenau.  I doubt they'll buff the German ship at the last second in these upcoming group patches (because Frd.G seems to take more president than this one) but again, let's see how Myogi works out after the buff.  

Gneisenau has torpedo tubes and an FAA No Fly Zone. Tuning the rifles for rear echelon admirals would not be wise in the current configuration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,642 posts
2,159 battles

With the Gnen, you don't rely on your guns but pretty much everything else: your speed, your armor, your secondaries, torpedoes, decent AA. The Gnen has about everything going for it except main armament. Something great about the Gnen is that the bow has that 70mm belt across it so other BB guns have some difficulty getting through the bow. The guns aren't so bad if you get in close, the ship is a brawler and a good one at that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
719 posts
9,924 battles
4 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Gneisenau has torpedo tubes and an FAA No Fly Zone. Tuning the rifles for rear echelon admirals would not be wise in the current configuration.

Just trying to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
719 posts
9,924 battles
Just now, Edselman said:

decent AA

There is nothing "decent" about AA stronger than Bismarck herself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,841 posts
5,608 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

normandie has 12 I think. 

Wrong tier, Lyon sits at T7 for the French BBs, and she has 16 guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
210
[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
775 posts
63 battles
13 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Wrong tier, Lyon sits at T7 for the French BBs, and she has 16 guns.

Reminds me of this clip.

 

 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,128
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,880 posts
4,757 battles

You are an oversized destroyer than is capable of mowing down pesants, and running away from the authority.

Spec for secondaries and speed, let the match drawn down...hoist the windmill of friendship and pillage.

If she could take the 11inchers on that long hull shed be OP as hell! It's that speed man, abuse it.

...oh and the 30 hermalins strapped to your side.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,613 battles
16 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

You are an oversized destroyer than is capable of mowing down pesants, and running away from the authority.

Spec for secondaries and speed, let the match drawn down...hoist the windmill of friendship and pillage.

If she could take the 11inchers on that long hull shed be OP as hell! It's that speed man, abuse it.

...oh and the 30 hermalins strapped to your side.

And you will run away from the authority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[WOLF8]
Members
351 posts
6,224 battles

Nothing says wasted potential like a Gneis more than 10km from his target.  It’s frustrating to see teammates play them from the rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,128
[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,880 posts
4,757 battles
1 hour ago, Unabletony said:

And you will run away from the authority

Oh no, you go at them at 32 knots and they try to run from you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

You are an oversized destroyer than is capable of mowing down pesants, and running away from the authority.

Spec for secondaries and speed, let the match drawn down...hoist the windmill of friendship and pillage.

If she could take the 11inchers on that long hull shed be OP as hell! It's that speed man, abuse it.

...oh and the 30 hermalins strapped to your side.

This is the thing. I'm not an idiot and I know how to shoot... yet I can bracket at 8km and most salvos are 1 round contact- many overpens. 

This is ludicrous given the power creep across various lines. A slight polish is all I'm asking for and that I think is warranted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
4 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I loved the gneisenau. Once I learned to close the distance to 10km or less it was a blast. Guaranteed citadels with almost every salvo, the trolling armor and melting secondaries was just the best. My love for it and the Bismarck has convinced me to buy their sister ships. 

That being said I have a weird thing where I love and do relatively well in the ships everyone hates and fail miserably with the ships everyone swears is the best in the game.

I suck with Budyonny and VMF DDs, actually most all Russian ships I have ever played but Bogatyr and Svietlana, does that count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[FML]
Members
1,785 posts
10,166 battles
5 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

I haven't played the G-man for awhile so got a few more games in it and figured out why.  The guns are just... just so, so bad. 

6 of them... 

colorado has 8, scharn has 9, nag has 8... ashitaka has 10... normandie has 12 I think. 

Gneis has an armor profile that makes it really tough to deal with at close range but good grief the guns are are so bad the shells miss the end of the barrel half the time. 

give it a sigma of .8 for all I care- but do whatever you need to do so it misses everything at 20km but murders under 12. 

 

 

What? I think you’re doing it wrong. Gneisenau is a speedy, armoured destroyer whose primary weapons are her torpedos, her secondary battery helps soften the target on the way in, and the large calibre guns are an ad-hoc situational tool. 

Personally, I love the Gneisenau - it’s one of the most fun ships in the game. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[FML]
Members
1,785 posts
10,166 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

You are an oversized destroyer than is capable of mowing down pesants, and running away from the authority.

Spec for secondaries and speed, let the match drawn down...hoist the windmill of friendship and pillage.

If she could take the 11inchers on that long hull shed be OP as hell! It's that speed man, abuse it.

...oh and the 30 hermalins strapped to your side.

 

2 hours ago, Unabletony said:

And you will run away from the authority

Whilst I am amused by the references to Yuro’s Scharnhorst YouTube video, they apply to the Scharnhorst much more so than the Gneisenau.  The key difference is large gun calibre - at 11 inches, Scharnhorst isn’t powerful enough to gun duel battleships (hence running from the authorities), but at 15 inches Gneisenau can do citadel damage to many/most battleships in her MM spread. Similarly, Gneisenau  isn’t as good at hurting DDs (peasants) simply because of 50 per cent fewer shells in the air. 

Thats what I reckon, anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

What? I think you’re doing it wrong. Gneisenau is a speedy, armoured destroyer whose primary weapons are her torpedos, her secondary battery helps soften the target on the way in, and the large calibre guns are an ad-hoc situational tool. 

Personally, I love the Gneisenau - it’s one of the most fun ships in the game. 

Yeah. Your average hit% is 35. In Gneis it's like 27% or so. Mine in Gneis is 33%. It's still crap. And no. I'm not "doing it wrong" like some "dude" that has 1000 battles. 

I'm not a [edited]idiot... I know how to shoot. The thing is abysmal. I think they can tighten the vertical dispersion a little... At least address it overall considering they've added another battleship with nearly 3 times the number of guns. 

And I'm sorry- anyone who is going to say that its primary weapons are the 3 torpedoes on each side at 6km is a [edited] [edited].

Edited by _ENO_
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-K-]
Members
615 posts
4,918 battles

This vessel is my most popular T7 troll CV ship.

No CE on it, AFT and Manual Defensive Fire for aircraft, give it a AA rating of 96. My best is 38 planes in it, aiming for that 45, plus its gun whilst terrible at long range, once you get to that below 14 km range it does dish the damage out.

Id take this boat out again any time, more so if I see a CV I love to bait them to drop me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×