You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
prevans

SFW version of the forums (i.e. no suggestive anime)

110 comments in this topic

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles

I regularly browse the WOWs forums while I'm at work.  When people come into my office they can see my computer screen and I'm what I'm doing.  There have been times when I've received some funny looks when I'm reading a post on these forums.  All person looking at my screen can see is an anime picture of some jailbait girl licking a popsicle (see, e.g. the post about which Tier 10 DD you think is best). 

I posted about a similar concern last year. At that time, there was a way to disable avatar pictures and signature lines in the settings, but that seems to have been disabled.  It also wouldn't address the issue of the pictures in the posts themselves.

I don't have a problem if you're into anime or whatever, and I know there's a whole partnership with the HSF and ARP things, but the pictures are often highly suggestive and really not safe for work.  I come at WOWs from the military history buff side of things and don't want my colleagues thinking I have some anime fetish because of the forums. 

Short of not looking at the forums at work (although I'd have a similar problem with my spouse at home) can we please have a way to disable anime content on the forums?

• Cool 22
  • Funny 7
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 8
  • Angry 1

Beta Testers
109 posts
1,347 battles

You can use adblock to block any avatar image you choose, especially  those annoying gifs.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

This is a game made by a company who has partnered with several anime creators. There are a lot of WoWS players who like anime and will continue to like anime. It isn't going to get "silenced" anytime soon. 

Edit to clarify- I completely understand the OP's point, but I feel like it would cause a little disagreement is all. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

I suspect you will be attacked for this very reasonable request.

You will be accused of being intolerant and not open minded. You will be a "bad person" because of your beliefs/morals do not align/approve of their actions.

It's ironic, because attacking your personal beliefs is itself intolerant.

• Cool 12

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
418 posts
Just now, CarbonButtprint said:

This is a game made by a company who has partnered with several anime creators. There are a lot of WoWS players who like anime and will continue to like anime. It isn't going to get "silenced" anytime soon. 

In my opinion, anime don't really fit into the game. The game is based on real historical events and putting anime undermines the historical basis of the game. I am not saying this to attack people who like anime in the game, I am just saying my honest opinion.

• Cool 6

[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
2 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I don't think that it's about silencing anything.  The OP is just making a request for there to be an option to turn off avatar pictures to make his browsing "safe for work".  That said, I'm not so sure that that would be enough, given that some will post other pictures or vids that have anime thumbnails.

• Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles

As someone with such a profile picture and occasional picture posting history, I support this.

In fact, a text-only or click-to-view-media mode would be a welcome addition to most forums.

• Cool 2

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Already he is accused of "silencing" people.

From a reasonable request to be able to personally disable anime. He isn't asking to ban it outright.

He's just asking for the personal freedom to avoid something that interferes with his beliefs.

EDIT: I also predict an avalanche of anime gifs/images.  Classy.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Cool 5

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles

A lot of forums have a "disable images" feature, which would work fine.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Given that I am also at work looking at the forums, I have not seen any noticeable "suggestive" anime pictures. As some people can tell, I have been on the forums on the weekdays almost constantly lately. The only "suggestive" anime pictures I have noticed are the one I posted from earlier and this one.

Ryuujou.(Kantai.Collection).full.2053358.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,302 battles
2 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

Already he is accused of "silencing" people.

From a reasonable request to be able to personally disable anime. He isn't asking to ban it outright.

He's just asking for the personal freedom to avoid something that interferes with his beliefs.

EDIT: I also predict an avalanche of anime gifs/images.  Classy.

I'm pretty sure he was only asking about a way to disable embedded images and video thumbnails. The only person grandstanding here is you.

OP, you can do this by using the "Textise" add on for firefox or "Text only mode" for chrome.

• Cool 1

Members
1,642 posts
2,152 battles
13 minutes ago, Leopard_IX said:

In my opinion, anime don't really fit into the game. The game is based on real historical events and putting anime undermines the historical basis of the game. I am not saying this to attack people who like anime in the game, I am just saying my honest opinion.

You are 100% correct. It has nothing to do with a game such as this and my biggest curiosity was never anything about game mechanics or matchmaking or any of that it was always why does this game attract so many those types. (I know now its because of all the strange collaborations) 

Sad part is that this thread will probably get locked in a couple days because that's just what they do. A while back somebody made a thread asking why there was so much of this stuff in the game and they (the people who like it) came down on him hard turning the thread into a ****storm. They called him "intolerant" and "insulting" and eventually the mods had to either lock and outright delete the thread, forgot which they did. 

Image result for in before the lock

Edited by Edselman
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,414 posts

I’d love to be able to totally disable the cartoon “art”. I think it’s freaking weird and I don’t appreciate that it’s all over the place. I’m glad that it is available to its fans and understand the game makes money with that subject matter. I strongly feel it should be off by default and folks choose to enable it rather than have to guess how to turn it off.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,414 posts
Just now, Edselman said:

You are 100% correct. It has nothing to do with a game such as this and my biggest curiosity was never anything about game mechanics or matchmaking or any of that it was always why does this game attract so many those types. (I know now its because of all the strange collaborations) 

Sad part is that this thread will probably get locked in a couple days because that's just what they do. A while back somebody made a thread asking why there was so much of this stuff in the game and they (the people who like it) came down on him hard turning the thread into a ****storm. They called him "intolerant" and "insulting" and eventually the mods had to either lock and outright delete the thread, forgot which they did. 

It was my thread. It spiraled into a dumpster fire of emotion and oddly twisted intolerance-hypocrisy in a matter of hours. It wasn’t my intention and I could not reign it back to civility. It was deleted. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, thebigblue said:

I’d love to be able to totally disable the cartoon “art”. I think it’s freaking weird and I don’t appreciate that it’s all over the place. I’m glad that it is available to its fans and understand the game makes money with that subject matter. I strongly feel it should be off by default and folks choose to enable it rather than have to guess how to turn it off.

Anime is life. Honestly there is not a lot of anime picture posts here. There is some memes of anime here and there and then actual memes but there ain't much here. Otherwise we may as well remove all profile images and signatures.

• Bad 2

[PSP]
Members
6,256 posts
8,898 battles

If the people coming into your office at work haven't seen anime yet then they have never been on the internet.

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,668 posts
3,924 battles

Step 1. Stay out of Off-topic subforum then

Step 2. Get back to work

Step 3. Get ready to be bombarbed by anime.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
1,346 posts
13,069 battles

This topic always reminds me of the Alabama election campaign. 

A vocal minority advocated for Roy Moore and even more actually voted for him :)

The rest of us were like "wt f"

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

Let's steer away from "anime is life" vs "it's freaking weird" - the OP merely asked to have an easy method to turn it off.

Like we already do in game.

I mean, the "you can turn it off if you don't like it" is one of the most effective arguments of the pro-anime camp.

Why not extend the same approach to the forums?

• Cool 3

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
2 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Step 1. Stay out of Off-topic subforum then

Step 2. Get back to work

Step 3. Get ready to be bombarded by anime.

Step 4. Stop worrying and love the (anime) bomb.

Step 5. ????

Step 6. Profit!

[SIDE]
Members
1,414 posts

Cats, well endowed girls in tiny mini skirts and unbuttoned shirts, high school fleet, azure lane, lady boys. It’s almost like we never see it....

Again, I’m glad it’s available to its fans. I don’t see why it shows up all over by default. Should be a mod or setting to ENABLE it.

Its a war game. It’s not like I’m playing older scrolls or fly rim or whatever those dragon elf games are called expecting to see team fortress characters by default.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1