You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Ashitaka for operations and co-ops?

14 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
275 posts
5,205 battles

First off, the most unfortunate thing about this ship is the name:  aSHITaka

Really WG, couldn't you have consulted your English speaking employees before assigning such a name?  :Smile_teethhappy:

Unfortunate name aside, I'm on the fence.  Opinions are varied and most seems to think it is bad for random games but some think it is good for operations/co-ops.  Since I play mainly PvE, and don't have any premium IJN battleship, will this be a good buy?  I'll use it mainly to run operations, which is another unfortunate thing because the only operation this ship can run is the current Ultimate F.U (I mean Frontier).  Naria is off rotation and IJN battleships aren't allowed in Hermes.

How does this ship stack up in PvE?  Thanks.

Edited by bigbearbeear

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles
45 minutes ago, bigbearbeear said:

Really WG, couldn't you have consulted your English speaking employees before assigning such a name?  :Smile_teethhappy:

What were they supposed to do?  There were 4 ships in the Amagi class:  Amagi, Akagi, Atago, and Ashitaka (later renamed to Takao).  Obviously, Amagi, Atago, and Takao couldn't be used, since they're already being used.  I suppose that Akagi could have been used, except that they may have wanted to reserve the name for future use, because the Akagi was converted into a CV.  That left them with Ashitaka or a completely fictional name.

And frankly, I think that focuses on those 4 letters out of the entire 8 letter name is just looking to be offended.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
420 posts
12,951 battles

Ashitaka does well in co-op, but you need to understand her.  She is not going to play like German BBs.  Her turrets are slower, but her guns are more accurate, but I have had AP failures on battleships at 12+km, so you may need to get close to deal with them (frankly, this really means being patient as the bots will mindless charge.)  She is a fast ship, so she can get out of trouble in a hurry.  By the same token she can get into trouble in a hurry, so you need to maintain your situational awareness.  She has rather poor AA, so be especially mindful if there are CVs in your battle.

For operations Ashitaka could be used in a pinch, but there are better battleships suited for both Ultimate Frontier, and Narai.

Here is LWM's review:

Edited by HamptonRoads

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,412 posts
3,337 battles

She's marvelous in Coop since she's got speed and firepower to crush bots in short order. You just gotta be careful not to show broadside when a bot is pointing its guns at you, or you might eat a citadel or two. Enemy bot CV's may come after you and there may not be not much you can do besides a mad wiggling WASD hax for torpedo beats... but I've lived through such encounters before so it's not an impossible ordeal or anything. If you can, using her speed to go after the bot CV right away can be a worthwhile tactic to consider, to ease the burden... I've done it before at least once, lol. Her guns really hurt, so she can fairly quickly dominate the opposition, provided that RNGesus bestows a favor on you, lel.

For Coop play, she's perfectly fine, IMHO.

[SALVO]
Members
17,034 posts
17,659 battles

I bought the Ashitaka because of today's sale.  I had the bad luck to have her first battle be a random with tier 9's.  We had a garbage team, but crap happens.  What I laughed at was some schmuck ragging on me for spamming HE at a Musashi, of all things.  This freaking ship's AP supposedly has difficulty with same tier BBs.  And I'm facing a Musashi, a ship with, IIRC, tier 10 armor, plus it was angled.  I might as well have shot spit balls if I'd chosen to use AP.  So I used HE and did a respectable amount of damage to the Musashi, whom I had pretty much no choice but to shoot at for a long time, given the circumstances of the battle.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,340 posts
14,832 battles

Also, don't get hung up on the negative review.  She's got heavy, accurate guns.  Planes will occasionally feast.  At the end of the day she can still be fun in randoms.  Just watch the minimap.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,485 posts
3,435 battles

She's great for Co-Op, and some Operations where T7s BBs are permitted. Moreso if one has the Kobayashi Camouflage for very generous XP/Credit gains.

The biggest and most obvious reason being; the AI usually targets BBs last, unless they were detected first or the closest target, then they switch down to cruisers and DDs if they're detected.

Ranked would be interesting, only because she's a literal glass cannon, but there's also fewer CVs and fewer enemies likely to focus her down.

Randoms is where she has issues. In high-tier matches, she's an easy target, eating pens from any angle. In matches where she's top tier, she can do fine, as long as there isn't a CV ready to nuke her.

[CAPGO]
Members
524 posts
3,312 battles

I played few games with Ashitaka in coop today, All I can see is that she is a glass canon. Her armor is the biggest weakness but her guns felt really good.

I think her fire power is among the best in its tier and her armor is the absolute worst. 

In other words, she will do great in operations where you are not focused by AIs.

If you can position well and have a good situational awareness, she will do just fine in random battles too I believe..

Edited by 0806sung

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I bought it just now too- 26 bucks Canadian? Sure. 

But it I did it anticipating that buff they were talking about bringing an amagi salvo without the armor. Armor I can do without but what I'm hungry for are many, accurate guns. 

Slow reload may hamper some operations but the ability to overmatch has its benefits. 

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,380 posts
5,070 battles

Ashitaka is meh, but with the upcoming buff it will be pretty nice.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
3 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

Ashi - 

Taka - 鷹

Just a name 

Members
94 posts
1,374 battles

I picked her up. Shes pretty darn fugly, aside from the nice standard IJN camo. Like a large okhotnik with a small pagoda on the bow. Play co op, bottom tier right away. Did ok ish with about 30 k dmg. The next match was mindless fun at it's best, I was top tier in a tier 5 dominated match. Plenty of Texas's (texases?) to munch on and the last bot alive was the shitetaco itself of which most of the green team didnt really want to run up on. Aiming sys mod and dmg control mod help a bit

The guns. Oh the guns... it feels really nice firing those fat suckers and taking nice chunks of hp away (when they pen). With adrenalin rush in full swing I almost feel dirty.

Edited by Schnauzahpowahz

[SYN]
Members
14,441 posts
10,418 battles

WG is testing out buffs that give it equal firepower to Amagi

As in, the guns will be very modern, compared to the ship itself.

[WOLF6]
Members
188 posts
2,172 battles
3 hours ago, bigbearbeear said:

You are pronouncing it wrong.

The name is 愛鷹.  Like most of the BBs of the era, it is named after a mountain in Japan.

The 'i' is nearly silent.  The 'a's are all pronounced the same, like " say ahhhhh". 

AhshTahKah.

Couldn't you have consulted a Japanese speaker before inserting your foot in your mouth? /s

Name aside, play her like the Battlecruiser she is;  She can't tank, and will get cit'd if you show broadside.