You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Labedoyere

Concealment ?

13 comments in this topic

[-V1-]
Members
158 posts
5,866 battles

Hello.....I have been having a dug moment when it comes to this.

I just got a dd whose Detect ability range by sea was 6.1 Up to this point i thought if i did not fire my guns they would not be able to see me unless i got closer than that.

I put on a camo and it changed to 5.9 .....Now they way i have been thinking up till now means to me that because of the camo i put on they can now see me at 5.9 as opposed to 6.1. It isnt much but with all the radar...every bit helps....How am i looking at this issue wrong?

Thank You

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

:Smile_hiding: Looks good to me. Use your minimap. If they are near your ring, they are close. If you shoot from range, they will see you. Nothing to it. You have 20 seconds to run if you do shoot until concealment goes back to normal.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
22 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

I just got a dd whose Detect ability range by sea was 6.1 Up to this point i thought if i did not fire my guns they would not be able to see me unless i got closer than that.

I put on a camo and it changed to 5.9 .....Now they way i have been thinking up till now means to me that because of the camo i put on they can now see me at 5.9 as opposed to 6.1. It isnt much but with all the radar...every bit helps....How am i looking at this issue wrong?

Thank You

That's accurate unless,

1. You fire while in line of sight of something in range - then your detection is your max range on your guns for 20 seconds before going dark again (continuous firing will reset this timer with every salvo)
  2. You're with in assured detection range, that's 2 KM by default (even in smoke/etc) but can be extended by various means like hydro and the TASM module (and goes through islands just like radar).
  3. You get radared/hydroed/plane spotted - press H and it will show you your air detection range radar and hydro values are per ship and radar distance of basically everything is something you MUST know as a DD captain.

It's worth noting you can also take stray shells meant for other ships you're like in between 2 Battleships fighting you can still get hit by random secondary fire or bad dispersion from main guns. Also if shells are in the air when you go undetected they can still hit you. If you sit in smoke and don't move you're also likely to get hit as there are mods that will show an X on the minimap where you last were detected and allow people to aim at exactly that spot.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

That's accurate unless,

1. You fire while in line of sight of something in range - then your detection is your max range on your guns for 20 seconds before going dark again (continuous firing will reset this timer with every salvo)
  2. You're with in assured detection range, that's 2 KM by default (even in smoke/etc) but can be extended by various means like hydro and the TASM module (and goes through islands just like radar).
  3. You get radared/hydroed/plane spotted - press H and it will show you your air detection range radar and hydro values are per ship and radar distance of basically everything is something you MUST know as a DD captain.

It's worth noting you can also take stray shells meant for other ships you're like in between 2 Battleships fighting you can still get hit by random secondary fire or bad dispersion from main guns. Also if shells are in the air when you go undetected they can still hit you. If you sit in smoke and don't move you're also likely to get hit as there are mods that will show an X on the minimap where you last were detected and allow people to aim at exactly that spot.

Also, with the rendering delay, you can have better concealment, but have the detected indicator pop up before they render. They'll still see you later than you see them, but you wandered into detection radius before any indication of a ship being there.

[B2P]
Members
517 posts
13,712 battles

Yeah, speaking of rendering issues, I hope they get that fixed soon.  With the Kronshtadt I should be able to get 2 salvo's off during a use of my radar, but due to rendering issues I can only ever get 1.

• Cool 2

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

Also, with the rendering delay, you can have better concealment, but have the detected indicator pop up before they render. They'll still see you later than you see them, but you wandered into detection radius before any indication of a ship being there.

Yep, this comes into play especially in ships with similar concealment.  IE a ship with 5.9 and a ship with 6.1.  If you're both steaming full speed towards a cap, both bow on where the closing distance will be at the maximum, the render delay will play havoc with trying to figure out why you're spotted but should have better base detection then what is spotting you.  It's this reason when in a DD I try to enter a cap at an oblique angle to where I think an enemy DD will be coming from.  Sometimes this is enough to where I can still maintain my concealment and pick up the enemy DD as they panic and start turning around.  Once that happens it's only a matter of positioning and speed control to stay within their detection range and screen them for the rest of the team to shoot at. 

[-V1-]
Members
158 posts
5,866 battles

Thanks for the info....But i still dont understand why i am more visible with the camouflage than i am without it. 

5.9 with and 6.1 without

[JUICE]
Members
820 posts
6,369 battles
8 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

Thanks for the info....But i still dont understand why i am more visible with the camouflage than i am without it. 

5.9 with and 6.1 without

You are not more visible with the camo. The .2 difference in the grand scheme of things is minimal at the speed a DD can travel. Don't get me wrong, every little bit helps but, there is a delay in the game rendering the enemy ships.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
4 hours ago, Labedoyere said:

Thank You

26 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

5.9 with and 6.1 without

I'm not sure you've quite described your issue. A 5.9 concealment is better than 6.1. It is. 

What's the problem?

[-V1-]
Members
158 posts
5,866 battles

ENO....

My problem was without camo it was 6.1 and when i put camo on it changes to 5.9

Now....Without the camo i am fine if i keep the distance of at least 6.1 from the reds

and when i put on the camo the distance change to 5.9 which is a little closer to the reds....I just thought that with the camo i have a wee bit more distance before i can be seen

[S0L0]
Members
226 posts
5,434 battles

I mean, yea it may seem to be very small (it's just a -3% detection change), but when it comes to DDs (when radar isn't part of the equation) every little bit count, besides it looks cool. :D

Members
3,490 posts
6,189 battles
20 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

ENO....

My problem was without camo it was 6.1 and when i put camo on it changes to 5.9

Now....Without the camo i am fine if i keep the distance of at least 6.1 from the reds

and when i put on the camo the distance change to 5.9 which is a little closer to the reds....I just thought that with the camo i have a wee bit more distance before i can be seen

.2 KM closer - that is it.

[WOLF6]
Members
196 posts
2,219 battles

Camo is a 3% buff to concealment.  It's right in the tooltip of the UI when you select a camo.