You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alion

Model Building

16 comments in this topic

[90THD]
[90THD]
Beta Testers
78 posts
8,756 battles

I am a model railroader. I would like to model the repair dock facility. Are the drawings or graphic files available? I would be building this in O gauge or 1/48th scale.

Does World of Warships have any model kits available and who would I buy from?

• Cool 2

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,477 battles

World of Warships has Italeri branded ships in I believe 1:700 scale. For the harbor, you’d have to get a data miner or build from camera reference.

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
650 posts
13,814 battles

Something like this, maybe?

T8cxQs1.jpg

You can find a wealth of images to model your dockyard fairly easily through Google.  Good Luck and I would like to see pics of the process and results.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,246 posts
12,791 battles
1 hour ago, alion said:

1/48th scale

That's a very ambitious project.

Let's do some math.

A dry dock large enough to hold a 290m battleship, in 1/48 scale, is 6m long. The dock facility in WoWS has three slipways - granted, the drydock for the battleships / carriers is the largest of the three, but still. Your model would already have to be at least 6m long, bigger than that with all the facilities around it.

I wish you good luck.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,278 battles
1 hour ago, alion said:

I am a model railroader. I would like to model the repair dock facility. Are the drawings or graphic files available? I would be building this in O gauge or 1/48th scale.

Yeah, @Lert is right; in "O" scale it will fill your garage.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,682 posts
9,083 battles
33 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's a very ambitious project.

Let's do some math.

A dry dock large enough to hold a 290m battleship, in 1/48 scale, is 6m long. The dock facility in WoWS has three slipways - granted, the drydock for the battleships / carriers is the largest of the three, but still. Your model would already have to be at least 6m long, bigger than that with all the facilities around it.

I wish you good luck.

26 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Yeah, @Lert is right; in "O" scale it will fill your garage.

Unless the OP is a multi millionaire he would be using a lot of selective compression in building it and even then it would look best when placed as far from the view as possible.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,045 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

World of Warships has Italeri branded ships in I believe 1:700 scale. For the harbor, you’d have to get a data miner or build from camera reference.

I thought the scale was not consistent between the ship types?  Aren't destroyers in game far too large in comparison to the battleships?

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,664 posts
6,477 battles

I believe it was an issue with the camera being inconsistent due to FOV, and ships are properly scaled otherwise.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,891 posts
12,629 battles

@alion I am amazed that anyone would think of such a project and wish you all the luck in the world with it! 1/48 scale yea that is going to be a monster perhaps HO scale 1/87 might be more manageable.

@Fishrokk yes for purposes of the game the DDs are up scaled since if they weren't we would never see them and I believe the very large ships are scaled down just a little or else they would fill the screen in zoom even far away!

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

for purposes of the game the DDs are up scaled since if they weren't we would never see them and I believe the very large ships are scaled down just a little or else they would fill the screen in zoom even far away!

I wish they weren't so much. I feel like it throws me off that all the ships seem to be so close in size. I wish they were more accurately sized relative to each other.

Though I do understand that Cruisers and BBs really are about the same size and it's the armor and guns that distinguish them more than the size of the ship.

Nevertheless, I sometimes get confused when everything looks about the same size.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Beta Testers
78 posts
8,756 battles

I thank you all for your help and comment. I had to a shipbuilder and he informed me of the scale of each ship. I know the layout of the harbor would be huge. Size of my garage would be a good estimate. Worse when

I was considering adding a container ship slip. As far as the millionaire thing? I bought a lottery ticket. So I guess this was just a pipe dream.

I wanted to build this huge layout where fathers could bring there sons and "play". It was a noble idea, just not practical. I apologize for taking your time.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

No need to apologize. If we're browsing the forums we have plenty of time to share. It's awesome that you're out there thinking about this. Good for you!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,045 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Jester_of_War said:

No need to apologize. If we're browsing the forums we have plenty of time to share. It's awesome that you're out there thinking about this. Good for you!

Yeah - I mean, in "O" scale, it's an ambitious project based on size.  But in that scale you're probably counting on being able to purchase a lot of ready made objects to fill things out, right?  I mean, trees, cars, railroad, buildings, etc.

If you chose a smaller scale, it would be a completely different animal.  Sure, you lose some detail, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be just as rewarding a project for you.  If there aren't ready-made models to purchase for it, I have a friend who has gotten a small scale 3D printer (hobbyist-type) that would probably be able to turn out some amazing stuff.

[RAWR]
Members
482 posts
On 7/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, alion said:

Do you work in O gauge only? Or HO as well? Also three rail track of two?

Grew up with model trains. My grandfather would send my a Lionel locomotive or car (passenger or fright) each year for Christmas (sometimes my birthday). I like trains. xD

I embrace this video for how fun and crazy it it.

Edited by Phasferous

[90THD]
[90THD]
Beta Testers
78 posts
8,756 battles

I am running O gauge in three rail. I was informed that if I where to build a ship like the Cleveland it would be like 12 feet long and weigh over 200 pounds. I am 61 years old now. I used to run HO, but my eyesight is not

good enough to handle putting the trucks on the track. But living in a 900 square foot home I don't think I could build the harbor in O gauge. But boy it would sure be a sight to behold. I even found gantry cranes made by Lionel and 

a cobbled together way of making track for the cranes to run on. You can even run switchers under them on separate track. If I ever win a million bucks...……..