You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PhantomXT

Poll: Permanent Camouflages and the Community

Permanent Camouflages and the Community  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you purchase permanent camos for their historical aspect when applicable?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Besides Tier X camos, do you consider buying permanent camouflages for their perks?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you acquired or considered acquiring any permanent camouflage?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Do you agree with the idea that there is an aesthetic value when buying permanent camouflages?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Would you like to see more community-made or alternative permanent camouflages?

• Yes
    • No

19 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
Supertester
32 posts
8,518 battles

Here you will find a poll regarding premium/permanent camouflages. Leave your thoughts below!

I’d also like to add several open questions for the discussion:

• Would you change the perks of Tiers IV-IX camouflages to be in accordance with the benefits of Tier X camos and each tier’s economy?
  • What are your thoughts regarding the benefits of Tier X camos?
  • Are there any permanent camouflages you don’t like aesthetically? Which ones?

Thank you for your time.

”Ad Astra Per Aspera”

Phantom out.

[PVE]
Members
9,733 posts
7,466 battles

PhantomXT said:

Would you change the perks of Tiers IV-IX camouflages to be in accordance with the benefits of Tier X camos and each tier’s economy?

According to this chart, the T3 tech tree perma-camos (and any T1, T2 or T4 that are added), do not benefit from the -10% service discount. While it would only be a few hundred silver, I would still let them benefit. I would boost the T9 perma-camo to -30% service cost, but the others are fine.

PhantomXT said:

What are your thoughts regarding the benefits of Tier X camos?

The -50% service cost and the +20% credits can make T10's profitable to play. Factor in premium time as well and even a potato like me can make credits.

PhantomXT said:

Are there any permanent camouflages you don’t like aesthetically? Which ones?

I wasn't so thrilled with the Gnevy Christmas camo when I got it in the RU DD split. It has grown on me now. 

5MDjXkp.jpg

If there was a Twilight Sparkle or Hello Kitty, or some other silliness, perma-camo with good bonuses, I wouldn't care what it looked like.

Alpha Tester
1,960 posts
49 minutes ago, PhantomXT said:

I used to like the Measure 32 scheme.

Spoiler

782641b6-6deb-11e6-abbe-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

But now that it's available on almost every USN tech tree & premium ship, it has gotten boring seeing the same camo scheme over and over again (the pattern is different on each ship, but it's still Measure 32). Would be nice if WG could diversify the historical camos. Ships like Atlanta, Sims and Helena are supposed to look like this:

uss_atlanta_cl_51__november_1942____meas

uss_sims_dd_409__may_1942____measure_12_

uss_helena_cl_50__july_1942____measure_2

WG seems to have a fetish for gaudy, dazzle patterns over solid colours.

Then there's Massachusetts. During testing her camo was Measure 22, which was how she looked when she fought Jean Bart at Casablanca. But based on "popular demand", WG gave it the same old Measure 32 just before it went live. It was never implemented though. Oh well, at least there's Alabama, though she doesn't have the secondary gun gimmick.

WzBmAKE.jpg

The only perma camo I've ever bought is Cleveland, but only because it was on discount and I wanted to take advantage of the CL split which gave Pensacola's perma camo for free. But the camo I hate the most aesthetically is Red October.

Spoiler

If I could replace this fugly piece of crap...

17a56ad2-a301-11e7-b770-d89d6715223c.jpg

...I'd choose the historical one on Imperator Nikolai.

or42nr.jpg&key=da81eb50e804ba182b8ed5220

Edited by Wolcott
  • Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,489 posts
3,435 battles

I want more visual replacer camouflage, like the Halloween, Starship, Kobayashi, FREEDOM camouflages.

I just wish WG was a bit more reasonable on cost; since WG's versions don't have the same super bonuses as Kobayashi camouflage do, and not as valuable as a result.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
4,025 battles
51 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

The only perma camo I've ever bought is Cleveland, but only because it was on discount and I wanted to take advantage of the CL split which gave Pensacola's perma camo for free.

This.

Q2: *Including* T10 camos...  I don't have any T10's yet, but I won't be spending real money to paint them once I do.

Q4: Everything has an aesthetic value.  The question should be if that value rises to a monetary one.

Q5:  Should have an "I don't care." option.

Until they give us something we can do with Elite XP trapped on a ship (besides spend money to convert it), permanent camos for tech tree ships have no monetary value to me (especially at current prices).  Even if they provided us with something we can do with that resource, I doubt I would buy them unless the price was a lot lower.  The only reason I bought for Cleveland was the double-benefit of T6 permanent camo for half price, plus a free permanent T8 camo later.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,531 posts
8,120 battles

and here i sit, waiting for WG to implement a full color palate for all camos of all nations. Dont get me wrong, they are taking steps in the right direction, its just too bad you can only change the base camos to 1 of 2 colors. Why cant i customize the color scheme of the frosty fur camo, etc...?

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

I bought Yamato's (since I missed out on the HSF version) and I also bought New Orleans's before the split since I was planning on getting one for baltimore anyway. I also bought one for Kiev and Akizuki when they were on sale, but I haven't had the credits to use my Kiev yet. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,798 posts
15,249 battles
1 hour ago, PhantomXT said:

Here you will find a poll regarding premium/permanent camouflages.

Some of your questions should have had a "I don't care" option, for example the one about player designed camo. I try to use only realistic camo, though I admit it is difficult because of the added benefits of some of them, but I really don't care where they come from.

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles
1 hour ago, Wolcott said:

I used to like the Measure 32 scheme.

Reveal hidden contents

782641b6-6deb-11e6-abbe-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

But now that it's available on almost every USN tech tree & premium ship, it has gotten boring seeing the same camo scheme over and over again (the pattern is different on each ship, but it's still Measure 32). Would be nice if WG could diversify the historical camos. Ships like Atlanta, Sims and Helena are supposed to look like this:

uss_atlanta_cl_51__november_1942____meas

uss_sims_dd_409__may_1942____measure_12_

uss_helena_cl_50__july_1942____measure_2

WG seems to have a fetish for gaudy, dazzle patterns over solid colours.

Then there's Massachusetts. During testing her camo was Measure 22, which was how she looked when she fought Jean Bart at Casablanca. But based on "popular demand", WG gave it the same old Measure 32 just before it went live. It was never implemented though. Oh well, at least there's Alabama, though she doesn't have the secondary gun gimmick.

WzBmAKE.jpg

The only perma camo I've ever bought is Cleveland, but only because it was on discount and I wanted to take advantage of the CL split which gave Pensacola's perma camo for free. But the camo I hate the most aesthetically is Red October.

Reveal hidden contents

If I could replace this fugly piece of crap...

17a56ad2-a301-11e7-b770-d89d6715223c.jpg

...I'd choose the historical one on Imperator Nikolai.

or42nr.jpg&key=da81eb50e804ba182b8ed5220

I'm all for more historical camouflage options, such as the above, although I would hope more would be earn-able through some missions by playing the ship, a permanent campaign or so.

I don't like how Massachusetts ended up with a scheme she never used, it would have been nice to have the historical measure 22 kept. Like how Missouri has the option of both MS22 and MS32. Alabama could have her 1942 camouflage as well as an option. Just having the never used MS32 is a bit annoying, and detracts from the appeal of the ship to me. Same goes for Hood.

With all the gaudy colours and designs being favoured, the previous plain and boring single colour schemes can find a place, and I am rather interested in getting Cossack to have an option of switching the scheme taken from HMS Matabele for the pre-war Mediterranean White, with a red funnel band and neutrality stripes on B turret. 

Again, I only bought one perma camo, which was Cleveland's, so I get could two for the price of one, though I probably shouldn't have bothered, since I view T6 Pepsi in a rather poor light, and the bonuses for Cleveland's camo at T8 don't outweigh the hundreds (almost thousand) of special camouflages I have stacked up. It also doesn't help that Cleveland has a scheme she never used, despite having numerous schemes to choose from, with her numerous sisters.

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,411 battles

I don't buy perma camos for any tree ships below T10 now (aside from the NC, home state and all that jazz).  WG has a nice habit of releasing a premium that basically overlaps the role and style of the tech tree ship, is generally comparable or better in performance and has the benefit of not needing their own commander, so I've stopped buying perma camos under the assumption that there will eventually be a premium that makes the tree ship redundant and the perma camo for said tree ship a waste of money.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I bought the hiryu permanent camo, because i play the ship a lot, have a 19 point captain on it, and earn a ton of XP with it. So rake in the elite captain XP.

Members
3,787 posts
14,050 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I wasn't so thrilled with the Gnevy Christmas camo when I got it in the RU DD split. It has grown on me now

I have that on Nurnberg and Cleveland and those are the only camos I use on those ships. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

The only permanent camouflage(s) I actively dislike (and thus won't inflict on my ships) is the French battleship camo. Even if it does have some small basis in history, in-game the general pattern is just ugly as sin in execution.

Alpha Tester
1,960 posts
9 minutes ago, Trainspite said:

I don't like how Massachusetts ended up with a scheme she never used, it would have been nice to have the historical measure 22 kept. Like how Missouri has the option of both MS22 and MS32. Alabama could have her 1942 camouflage as well as an option. Just having the never used MS32 is a bit annoying, and detracts from the appeal of the ship to me. Same goes for Hood.

I've already given my feedback to @Pigeon_of_War to bring back Mamie's Measure 22 as an alternate camo option. Nothing more I can do beyond that. Measure 12 would've been a nice alternative, but WG's choice of camos are just strange. WG seems to dislike early war camos. The only ships I can think of that has Measure 12 are Fletcher and North Carolina's stock hull.

You can bet the upcoming Alaska will also be in Measure 32, and the pattern is very similar to Mamie's never implemented camo.

19 minutes ago, Trainspite said:

With all the gaudy colours and designs being favoured, the previous plain and boring single colour schemes can find a place, and I am rather interested in getting Cossack to have an option of switching the scheme taken from HMS Matabele for the pre-war Mediterranean White, with a red funnel band and neutrality stripes on B turret. 

I wouldn't bother if I were you. We all know what WG did to Hood's historical Atlantic grey. But if by some miracle WG does implement Cossack's historical camo, I'll salute you.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

To each his own, but for $25 I can buy tons of flags or camo or other things to be used on all ships rather that on one ship that I may mothball shortly. many of the camo's earned in game are better than perm camos and can be used effectively on all ships depending on the mission or campaign.

Granted I have several that do have perm camo from in game contests but the only Major purchase was the Hindy and I don't play it anywhere near enough to justify the doubloons, but it does like sexy as heck.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

Every time a perm camo discussion pops up I use my soapbox to ask WG to include a new reward... a random tier token, say from a super container that is a permanent camo for any ship I want to put it on "one time only". Lets say I get a tier 7 token...I could use it on my new Helena or a Fiji.

Sure the drops could be rare, but I doubt anyone would complain if they could make their fav ship in a tier have perm camo....

See the source image

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
1 hour ago, Wolcott said:

The only perma camo I've ever bought is Cleveland

That's the first perma-camo I ever bought (as opposed to winning, e.g. the Normandie one), but I got it for nothing because of the half-price sale just before the Split; I had just enough doubloons that I had won in the game, and knowing that it would become a T8 camo (at six times the value I paid for it) made it easy to spend them.

Once I had seen the benefits of perma-camo, I went out and bought it for all the tech-tree ships I intend to keep.

[SALVO]
Members
17,068 posts
17,716 battles
2 hours ago, PhantomXT said:

Here you will find a poll regarding premium/permanent camouflages. Leave your thoughts below!

I’d also like to add several open questions for the discussion:

• Would you change the perks of Tiers IV-IX camouflages to be in accordance with the benefits of Tier X camos and each tier’s economy?
  • What are your thoughts regarding the benefits of Tier X camos?

Thank you for your time.

”Ad Astra Per Aspera”

Phantom out.

1. "Would you change the perks of Tiers IV-IX camouflages to be in accordance with the benefits of Tier X camos and each tier’s economy?

If WG improved the sub-tier 10 prem-perma-camos to be the same as tier 10 perma camos, I think that you would have to expect an increase in the price of those sub-tier 10 perma camos.  Also, while some people will pay for perma camos for sub-tier 10 ships (whether with the current benefits/prices or other), I'm not really one of those people.  I don't keep a lot of non-tier 10 ships.  Some, but not a lot.  (Flipside, I have a lot of premium ships.)

2. "What are your thoughts regarding the benefits of Tier X camos?"

WG damned well better not nerf the benefits of tier 10 perma-camos.  I've paid quite a bit of real coin on tier 10 perma-camos.  I currently have all of the tier 10 ships, with the exception of the 2 CVs and the Worcester (which I'll have very soon).  And I have perma camos on all but 5 of the tier 10 ships (not counting the CVs that I don't have).  And I won't bother buying perma camo for the Yammy because I have that free HSF camo for her that's almost as good as the perma-camo.  Anyways, I have a lot invested in tier 10 perma-camos and would be rather … annoyed … if they nerfed a camo that I paid real money for.

3. "Are there any permanent camouflages you don’t like aesthetically? Which ones?"

I don't like the perma camos that should really be considered as skins rather than just camouflage paint jobs of the existing model.  The current Baltimore and Cleveland "perma-camo" is an example of this.  So it the beer can camo for the Roma, and the Maid of Orleans camo for the Richelieu (and the Gascogne, IIRC).  I just don't like these "camos" that are really skins.  I like the ships to be as they were.

I will say that I would mind the Freedom camo less if not for the damned eagle over the bridge.  And the Beer can on the Roma looks ridiculous on an otherwise gaudy, but tolerable camo.  I will say that I don't really get the Kobyashi camo being on the Roma at all.  It makes some sense on IJN ships.  But one would think that a really "special" camo for Italian ships would be more Italian themed.  Not necessarily a "patriotic" Italian theme, but something that comes off as pure Italian.  (Or, heck, even a "Roman" theme, might be amusing.)  At least, the Freedom camo/skin is an honest to goodness American themed skin.

And the Maid of Orleans camo would look better if the hull was painted up nice to go along with the (silly) gold appliques. (Yes, I know that there's a mod that paints the exposed hull sections white, IIRC.  That's pretty much what I wish they'd done or would do with the Maid camo/skin.)

[BUNNY]
Supertester
32 posts
8,518 battles
1 hour ago, Trainspite said:

I'm all for more historical camouflage options, such as the above, although I would hope more would be earn-able through some missions by playing the ship, a permanent campaign or so.

Again, I only bought one perma camo, which was Cleveland's, so I get could two for the price of one, though I probably shouldn't have bothered, since I view T6 Pepsi in a rather poor light, and the bonuses for Cleveland's camo at T8 don't outweigh the hundreds (almost thousand) of special camouflages I have stacked up. It also doesn't help that Cleveland has a scheme she never used, despite having numerous schemes to choose from, with her numerous sisters.

It would definetly be a nice feature to have different camos available for USN ships (for example, have both of North Carolina’s camouflages available without changing the hull). 

35 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Every time a perm camo discussion pops up I use my soapbox to ask WG to include a new reward... a random tier token, say from a super container that is a permanent camo for any ship I want to put it on "one time only". Lets say I get a tier 7 token...I could use it on my new Helena or a Fiji.

Sure the drops could be rare, but I doubt anyone would complain if they could make their fav ship in a tier have perm camo....

One can hope!