You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Asym_KS

Average Hours of Gameplay

21 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
795 posts

I'm new in WoWs.  A potato and I read the forums a lot for data and good information as to game play !  I appreciate the suggestions and help!

How many hours a day is the average player playing?  I've searched the forums and haven't found a good answer.  I'm a Six Sigma kinda of guy and now, after a few months of play, I'm seriously wondering about this.... 

Why?  Because, it's hard in a meritocracy to figure out what is expected and normal unless you know what a median value is....  What is the benchmark and where do you place yourself....

Any ideas?

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,621 battles

That varies greatly.  

I play between 1-2 hours a night when I actually decide to play WoWs, generally play more on CB nights.  Most of the time, I only play WoWs on CB nights now as well, so 4 days a week I'll play for 2-3 hours, then the remaining 3 days I won't play a single battle.  I'm sure you'll find people who play 5+ hours per day, then you'll find people that play 2 hours a week.  If you wanted to put a poll up and measure the results, you'd get a far better answer.  

Saying that though, playtime has no bearing on being a good player or not.  Anyone who wants to learn the game mechanics and better themselves, will.  You could have 15k battles and still be horrible, or have 500 battles and be a super unicum.  This game is all about positional awareness and game knowledge.  That comes from wanting to learn, not just sheer numbers of battles or playtime.  

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,412 battles

I go hot & cold on WoWs. Right now I am hot playing 1-2hrs a night & the full duration for CB being 4hrs on those nights. When I am cold (typically because I am playing something else) I will do just a cpl matches a week. 

[CAST]
Members
1,205 posts
7,381 battles

Play as much as you enjoy.  If it becomes work, then what is the point?  Sometimes I play a couple of hours or more, but on other days I don't play at all.  I generally average about an hour a day.  I tend to play more when clan battles are on.

[CK5]
Members
804 posts
6,562 battles

My play time has slowed down for the Summer to 1-2 hours a day at five days a week.  I do not play weekends.  When schools start up again in the Fall I may play a little more during the week but still avoid weekends.  When the game starts to feel like a chore to play, I will take a break every now and then for a couple of weeks at a time.  

[FOG]
Members
328 posts
4,841 battles

I tend to play about 1.5 to 2 a day on weekdays and about 2-3 hours on weekends. Usually play most days, unless traveling.

Members
567 posts
75 battles

There are people who play this game virtually every waking minute, i know some players with over 20k battles. Then you have folks that take 6-12 month breaks and come back. Married with kids folks who only squeeze in a match or two a day. It's all over the place. The better benchmark is where are you skill wise after 1000 games, 2000 games etc.

If you can't break 50% win rate after 2000 games played and you're really trying hard every game, I'd start to get concerned about why the mind has not been able to pick up the game mechanics and adapt. Each percentage point above 50% you can go by 2000 games is a reflection of just how above average your IQ and self respect is.

There's also tradeoffs. If you level tall (just go up one or two lines or only play mostly one ship type) you may be really good with those ships at the cost of sucking in others. If you level wide, you might end up more of a jack of all trades, although playing as many ships as you can generally results in higher overall skill because the added in depth knowledge gives you a huge advantage when fighting against ships you know the capabilities of.

Because of so many variables, the way i apply respect to players is not about whether they are above or below average but whether or not their performance history charts are all moving in a steady northeast direction showing they respect themselves enough to care about improving the quality in all that they do, a desire to be better than their previous self. That is the true mark of a winning and healthy mindset.

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 1

Members
9,970 posts

It's just a a game....

Why worry about what other people do? The player base is older and heavily casual, with a few gamers inserted for maximum playtime. I play a few games a week these days.

[DAY]
Members
1,179 posts
11,734 battles

no game at all if im tired from day time work

up to 8 hours even im still energetic after i get home

up to 15 hours on weekend if there's something i find that's worth the grind

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,412 battles
1 hour ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Because of so many variables, the way i apply respect to players is not about whether they are above or below average but whether or not their performance history charts are all moving in a steady northeast direction showing they respect themselves enough to care about improving the quality in all that they do, a desire to be better than their previous self. That is the true mark of a winning and healthy mindset.

With few exceptions those that preen the most about their scores arent playing in the same league the rest of us are.  They typically have hundreds of games in a handful of top tier ships. Contrast that with the rest of us that are still grinding our way through through the various nations, playing with ships that arent fully upgraded & routinely uptiered & its not comparing apples to apples. 

Then the notion of respect, frankly how or why someone would expect to give or get respect for how they play a video game is lost on me. So you're great at a video game, so what? That & $1.06 will get you a small coffee at McDonald's. Translation: Its worth nothing. If you want to impress me show me what you have done with your life. 
While this game no doubt has a large percentage of "kids" playing it, its the old duffers like myself that keep WG running. We got the disposable income to keep buying their stuff. What goes along with that is a greater sense of whats important in life. That is to say while we do not revel in sucking & generally we do try to do well we are fully cognizant that the coffee in McDonalds is still going to cost use $1.06 no matter what our PR is. 

• Cool 4

[PSP]
Members
6,268 posts
8,904 battles
Just now, MizzenMast said:

If you want to impress me show me what you have done with your life. 

Many of the people here have so much life experience that they literally could have been the heroes in the games that the kids play. In fact, some here have actually served on the ships that are in the game.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,672 posts
3,824 battles

I used to play like 8 hrs a day when it first came out, nowadays it's barely about 1-2 hrs a day

Though back when the Narai farm was present I played about 4 hrs a day farming more than 100k free xp a day or even 200k. Good times.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I have been playing almost constantly since it was fully released. I have also played it throughout Closed Beta. I did not play during Open Beta. I will get annoyed at times and go on a one or two week hiatus. I am still enjoying the game and I only got a Tier X Shimakaze. If anything, I probably play about 4 hours a day. Just enjoy yourself and play the game.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
12 hours ago, MizzenMast said:

With few exceptions those that preen the most about their scores arent playing in the same league the rest of us are.  They typically have hundreds of games in a handful of top tier ships. Contrast that with the rest of us that are still grinding our way through through the various nations, playing with ships that arent fully upgraded & routinely uptiered & its not comparing apples to apples. 

Then the notion of respect, frankly how or why someone would expect to give or get respect for how they play a video game is lost on me. So you're great at a video game, so what? That & $1.06 will get you a small coffee at McDonald's. Translation: Its worth nothing. If you want to impress me show me what you have done with your life. 
While this game no doubt has a large percentage of "kids" playing it, its the old duffers like myself that keep WG running. We got the disposable income to keep buying their stuff. What goes along with that is a greater sense of whats important in life. That is to say while we do not revel in sucking & generally we do try to do well we are fully cognizant that the coffee in McDonalds is still going to cost use $1.06 no matter what our PR is. 

It's not about respect over a video game, it's respect of the team construct and of other people's time. If you play a solo video game, knock yourself out. Do whatever you want. But joining a team in any capacity is engaging in a social contract that you will participate with the intention of fulfilling your percentage of your responsibility toward achieving the goal (winning).

Discounting it by tossing out the "it's just a game" card is only ever done when justifying poor behavior/decisions. Trivializing it by comparing to real life is one of the most common acts of deflection. Importance and relevance has a different measuring stick when comparing games to real life, but that is using slight-of-hand to derail the debate.

We're strictly talking about the measure of importance/relevance on matters within the confines of the game. Making an effort to improve and respect other peoples' time is far more important than, say arguing with someone over choosing one Tier1 captain skill over another.

• Cool 1

Members
38 posts
2,705 battles
11 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

It's not about respect over a video game, it's respect of the team construct and of other people's time. If you play a solo video game, knock yourself out. Do whatever you want. But joining a team in any capacity is engaging in a social contract that you will participate with the intention of fulfilling your percentage of your responsibility toward achieving the goal (winning).

...name checks out

(sorry I just couldn't resist)

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,671 battles
On 7/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

That varies greatly.  

Pretty much the same with me.

Although I gave up on the CB portion.

Some days I play for a few hours , but then not play at all for weeks at a time. 

I tend to binge and burn out regularly . Lol

[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,757 battles
12 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Discounting it by tossing out the "it's just a game" card is only ever done when justifying poor behavior/decisions. Trivializing it by comparing to real life is one of the most common acts of deflection. Importance and relevance has a different measuring stick when comparing games to real life, but that is using slight-of-hand to derail the debate.

We're strictly talking about the measure of importance/relevance on matters within the confines of the game. Making an effort to improve and respect other peoples' time is far more important than, say arguing with someone over choosing one Tier1 captain skill over another.

Last night there was so much sill play that I thought about submitting a few replays.

Like triple yammy div to D on North? hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahha.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
440 posts
18,709 battles

sometimes a few hours a week if I have a lot going on. Other times I have logged as much as 20 hours in a week (I'm not proud of that or the amount of time I have wasted playing this) But I would rather play this then watch TV most nights in my down time. 

Members
569 posts

I play on very rare occasions in the live server. 

I play mostly on the PT server. 

Presently I am avoiding the Live server to get free stuff when I do return.

The PT gives me my time for stress free gaming. {Kinda like the Army Reserves 1 weekend a month All Expenses Paid}