Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

About "that' Ship - Nueve De Julio and History

10 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

Ok guys.. first some rules.  Play nice.  Everyone.  Be sensitive of other peoples opinions.  Whether you agree or not.  This has been a big talk, but I am giving my opinion on this as a lot of people who had never heard of or known this ship's past rushed to conclusions, etc.

I have no problem with it in game.  Many from Argentina don't.  Some do.  Buy it or don't.  All ships have a history, some more dubious.  In the end, this is a game about ships.  Not the governments that used them.  If that were the case, we wouldn't be playing in German ships as we all know what they did.

• Cool 17
  • Bad 1

Members
1,640 posts
7,479 battles
26 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Not the governments that used them.  If that were the case, we wouldn't be playing in German ships as we all know what they did.

Are ships really representative of their governments?

It seems quite the vague link to make, can't we all just enjoy ships without controversy in the first place?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,240 posts
12,789 battles

"The ones that attacked Pearl Harbor and were responsible for the start of the war" - the war had been going on for 2 years by that point. "But not for the Americans" No, but it was a world war, right?

That said, I do agree with Zoup and commend him on his articulate explanation of his point of view. This is a game about ships, not politics.

• Cool 7

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles

The past is the past for a reason, it's something that we can neither change nor undo.  Observing it, discussing it and learning from it are the only real options in regards to history. Trying to white wash it, or on the other hand,  erase it - are the actions of fearful people.  The choice of this ship is being protested by some, because they believe it is being disrespectful to the victims of an autocratic regime, but if they had not chosen this ship,  how many of us would have otherwise been aware of this incident and it's terrible cost on the citizens of that regime?  I had certainly never heard of it, but now when I see that ship I will think of it briefly - and perhaps be more conscious of the choices we make and the consequences they can have.

That is a better memorial than silence and ignorance.

• Cool 4

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,785 battles

Well said Zoup. Totally with you on this.

I have no beef with a ship in a game due to politics. That's silly.

If I did I wouldn't play German WWII ships or maybe IJN. Silly.

• Cool 1

[TAZ]
Members
399 posts

Just release the bloody thing and get it over with, people will buy it or not depending on their desires.

• Cool 1

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
650 posts
13,810 battles

The other side of the story would be the thousands of sailors who called her home and were proud to serve on her.  They should not be forgotten in this discussion as well.  While they may not have been pleased with how she was abused at the end of her life, I can bet you they were very emphatic in defending her name when ever called out.

It is a game.  As @NoZoupForYou said, buy it or not, play it or not.  It is strictly an individual decision.  Long Live USS Boise!!!

[VFW]
Beta Testers
51 posts
2,435 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

"The ones that attacked Pearl Harbor and were responsible for the start of the war" - the war had been going on for 2 years by that point. "But not for the Americans" No, but it was a world war, right?

That said, I do agree with Zoup and commend him on his articulate explanation of his point of view. This is a game about ships, not politics.

Well, this is the NA forums after all. That being said, you could argue WW2 was just a continuation of WW1. Or you could argue, Japan attacking the US had nothing to do with the war in Europe and had Hitler not declared war on the US (he was not treaty bound to do so), Roosevelt would have had to prove a hard case to declare war on the rest of the Pact of Steel considering the other two major powders had nothing to do with the Pearl Harbor attack. Or that Pearl Harbor was a result of our pressuring Japan to stop its war in China that had been going on way before the war in Europe.  

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,025 posts

I'm having trouble seeing the relation between a black site murder boat for political dissidents of an oppressive regime and the use of military power to strike military targets in the largest war in human history.

• Cool 3

[WGA]
Administrator
696 posts
251 battles

Folks as stated in other places we understand there is some passion around this topic and we can appreciate that.  The forums however are just not the best place to air political differences that may surround this ship.  As always thank you guys for your feedback. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 4