You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Ashitaka question

25 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,600 battles

I've heard there buffing her guns to Amagi levels in the near future. Would she be worth picking up for this reason when she's at half price. I know she isn't the best ship but she seems like she can be fun at tier 7. What does everyone think?

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
25 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I've heard there buffing her guns to Amagi levels in the near future. Would she be worth picking up for this reason when she's at half price. I know she isn't the best ship but she seems like she can be fun at tier 7. What does everyone think?

I didn't care too much for her, but honestly I barely played Ashitaka enough to form a concrete opinion...just my initial impression(dispersion seemed unusually bad, AA was bad, and the armor didn't really stand up).

I'd skip it for something better like Scharnhorst, unless you specifically want an IJN trainer.

Edited by _Rumple_

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,096 battles
22 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

If she got fully upgraded Amagi guns at T7, she would be in a pretty good place.  I have a hard time seeing that happening though.

[BNKR]
Members
709 posts
713 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If she got fully upgraded Amagi guns at T7, she would be in a pretty good place.  I have a hard time seeing that happening though.

They're testing that change in ST right now.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,543 posts
3,751 battles
5 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

They are testing that, my guess is they want to make a glass cannon Amagi at T7, which doesn't sound half bad really.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

Ashitaka is not that bad if played correctly, and is not up tiered.

shot-18.07.19_03.44.48-0435.jpg

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,042 posts
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

They are testing that, my guess is they want to make a glass cannon Amagi at T7, which doesn't sound half bad really.

Just now, db4100 said:

shot-18.07.19_03.44.48-0435.jpg

Ashitaka  is the ship of the day have fun  guys

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,466 battles

Its basically a squishy Nagato with an extra turret post buffs. The buffs are exactly what she needed and she definitely perform now.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,230 posts
4,207 battles

You know, I just had a thought. Maybe she's not really a downtiered Amagi; maybe she's an upgunned Ishizuchi. Give the Ishizuchi 410mm guns and you basically have this ship, don't you?

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

I didn't really have a bad time with her before.  The new shells will make Ashitaka a real contender at Tier VII, and I do like her camouflage scheme.  Especially in blue.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Grammar I does goodly.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
468 posts
11,896 battles

If you have other premiums in the Japan lineup like the Atago, Kii, Mutsu or Mushashi then there is no reason to get this ship, If you dont have a Japan premium and you are going up the BB or CN line then its a good option to train those captains and get some credit relief.   At WG prices its a bargain.

It is  not OP, as with ALL ships in the game, there is a way to play her to her advantages which in my opinion is medium range broadside HE salvos, or close range AP.    You will get rekted by CV's and will be an insta target limiting your credit and XP potential.  

• Cool 1

[MOOW]
Members
220 posts
15,091 battles

just picked her up......gud boat..

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,096 battles
1 hour ago, db4100 said:

I shudder to think of how she would stack up against T9s.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,412 posts
3,337 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You know, I just had a thought. Maybe she's not really a downtiered Amagi; maybe she's an upgunned Ishizuchi. Give the Ishizuchi 410mm guns and you basically have this ship, don't you?

My thoughts exactly. That's the impression I got when I got her and took her for a spin. It felt very uncanny to me on how resembling they are on that note.

I think she is a decent bote. She really packs a punch even without the upcoming buff, when her shells connect. A real "Ouch!"

Members
2,368 posts
7,654 battles

Right now? Not worth it. Its a bad ship, If you want to buy a Premium IJN BB, Mutsu, Kii and Musashi are much better. There are other T7 Premium BBs that are better and Nagato is amazing. 

But, if the buff to the guns really happen, this might become a good ship. Amagi has amazing guns at T8, and this firepower at T7 might be even better. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,798 posts
10,299 battles

JnOBpgW.png

https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/

If the Ashitaka does indeed get the shell upgrade to something like Amagi then it would be pretty tremendous for her. Going from 341 to 488mm of penetration at 15km is a big deal, especially when you're looking at say 343mm of belt armor on a Colorado. Ashitaka's outright incapable, and even ~300mm belts with a bit of angling will be proof against her, but at 488mm of penetration you'll be able to dig through even with the ship partially angled but outside of autobounce.

The Ashitaka looks squishy, but she's fast and all ships can be angled moderately well. There's only so much armor can do for you, angling and positioning are key facets of the game and Ashitaka does those just fine. The best way to avoid damage in this game is to delete the red ship sooner rather than later. Ashitaka will get a big leg up doing that.

Ten guns, IJN dispersion, overmatch, T7 matchmaking to go bully poor New York's, a 30kt platform. She looked to be mostly held back by the penetration, now, not so much.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,485 posts
3,435 battles

She'll be great for T7 Operations that permit BBs, and Co-Op. Reason being? The AI tends to target BBs last. She'll make a great Credit farmer for mostly free players if one gets her with her Kobayashi camouflage.

Random is a bit iffier; not many players want a nerfed Amagi on their side, unless it's T7 tops, where her armoring isn't a big deal. T7 Ranked would be interesting; she brings more firepower, but at the cost of armor and AA.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,230 posts
4,207 battles
12 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Right now? Not worth it. Its a bad ship, If you want to buy a Premium IJN BB, Mutsu, Kii and Musashi are much better. There are other T7 Premium BBs that are better and Nagato is amazing. 

But, if the buff to the guns really happen, this might become a good ship. Amagi has amazing guns at T8, and this firepower at T7 might be even better. 

Well that's the thing, isn't it? They dangled the gun buff in front of us and then put her up for sale at half price. 

The only thing holding me back is that like her little sister, the Ishizuchi, the secondaries load armour-piercing. So there's a reduced chance of module splashes and zero chance of fire starting, and angled cruisers closing in for torpedo runs are going to bounce 140mm AP. I've got Close Quarter Expert medals with the Ishizuchi when foolish low-tier cruisers attack close-in and broadside, but even at Tier 5 that's probably going to happen a whole lot less.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,398 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only thing holding me back is that like her little sister, the Ishizuchi, the secondaries load armour-piercing

Having a majority of secondaries firing AP is an IJN BB trait, it's partly why secondary builds on IJN ships are meh at best.  The strong point of the line are their main guns, so I wouldn't let that play into how you make your choice.  With that point being made about the IJN main guns being their strength, the Ashitaka absolutely needs the gun buff, otherwise it doesn't have a lot going for it.  The Nagato is just flat out a better choice currently.

Edited by Deviathan

[ARGSY]
Members
6,230 posts
4,207 battles
1 minute ago, Deviathan said:

The Nagato is just flat out a better choice currently.

True, and the Amagi is the Ashitaka a tier higher, with none of the weaknesses. But as a premium, the Ashitaka has that flexibility to share commanders with other ships devoid of penalty. And at half price, she's significantly better value.

Not saying I'm definitely going to get her; just saying that the savings make it attractive to have a beefier version of a ship I already enjoy.

[PVE]
Members
9,547 posts
7,456 battles

If I had the spare $21, sure. But unfortunately, not today.

Members
94 posts
1,370 battles

It's a good price and I could use a trainer for my kongo and line further on... they might've got me here 

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles

Every time I SWEAR that I will never spend another dime on this game, they do something like this and I just hand over my money. At $20 bucks she is a steal.