You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TimmyGuy

Unable to Spot While in Smoke? Ships CLOSE!

10 comments in this topic

[IW]
Members
14 posts
7,385 battles

Hello..I'm a newbie to the forums so please forgive me if this has already been addressed/answered. I did search but no luck.

I just played and while sitting in smoke very close to an island 2 cruisers (I believe, maybe one was a BB) sailed right past me within like 3-4km. I could NOT see them and I knew they were close. After popping out of smoke, because it was ending, I immediately spotted both ships and of course they spotted me 2 so I died. It was almost as if neither team knew each other even existed, they didn't turn and run away or rush smoke or anything like normal. This is not a line of sight issue either, the island was NOT between me and them when they passed. However it was when I smoked up. They sailed past as if there was no smoke over here/there/close by. This has happened a couple times but I thought it was a me or just a one time glitch. All other times while in smoke I can spot ships much further away and/or just as close. Am I missing something? 

Seems like a line of sight glitch---there was NOTHING between the ships when they passed me, but I did activate smoke when the island was between our ships. Is this expected behavior? 

Thanks to any replies!

[SYN]
Members
345 posts
6,169 battles

When you’re in smoke, it’s your teammates doing the spotting.  Smoke works both ways.  If you’re in smoke and your teammates can’t spot them, you don’t see them.

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles
42 minutes ago, TimmyGuy said:

Hello..I'm a newbie to the forums so please forgive me if this has already been addressed/answered. I did search but no luck.

I just played and while sitting in smoke very close to an island 2 cruisers (I believe, maybe one was a BB) sailed right past me within like 3-4km. I could NOT see them and I knew they were close. After popping out of smoke, because it was ending, I immediately spotted both ships and of course they spotted me 2 so I died. It was almost as if neither team knew each other even existed, they didn't turn and run away or rush smoke or anything like normal. This is not a line of sight issue either, the island was NOT between me and them when they passed. However it was when I smoked up. They sailed past as if there was no smoke over here/there/close by. This has happened a couple times but I thought it was a me or just a one time glitch. All other times while in smoke I can spot ships much further away and/or just as close. Am I missing something? 

Seems like a line of sight glitch---there was NOTHING between the ships when they passed me, but I did activate smoke when the island was between our ships. Is this expected behavior? 

Thanks to any replies!

You can spot them at 2KM or 3 KM if you have assured acquisition instead of concealment. You can see them with a plane, Sonar and Radar too. You need a team member to spot otherwise. You get torped in smoke if you sit in it any way. Your smoke can also block the the team from spotting, if you are in front of them, pop your smoke and stay in it, then no one can see anything. Always think before you smoke and know what you are using your smoke for. Is it for the team? Then you will need to spot. Is it for your self and to shoot from? Make sure the team will be spotting for you or it's kind of useless and always know, there will be torps coming, maybe. Is it to escape being concentrated on and breaking contact? Best to show up way away from your smoke the next time you are spotted or fire your guns.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
1,255 posts
8,868 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You can spot them at 2KM or 3 KM if you have assured acquisition instead of concealment. You can see them with a plane, Sonar and Radar too. You need a team member to spot otherwise. You get torped in smoke if you sit in it any way. Your smoke can also block the the team from spotting, if you are in front of them, pop your smoke and stay in it, then no one can see anything. Always think before you smoke and know what you are using your smoke for. Is it for the team? Then you will need to spot. Is it for your self and to shoot from? Make sure the team will be spotting for you or it's kind of useless and always know, there will be torps coming, maybe. Is it to escape being concentrated on and breaking contact? Best to show up way away from your smoke the next time you are spotted or fire your guns.

Good advice.

Edit: +1.

Edited by _Rumple_

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
4 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

When you’re in smoke, it’s your teammates doing the spotting.  Smoke works both ways.  If you’re in smoke and your teammates can’t spot them, you don’t see them.

To piggyback on this, @TimmyGuy if any of your teammates are in the same smoke or behind an island, but have a plane up, this too could spot enemies.

However, the detection for surface acquisition has a different (closer range/harder to detect) than spotting with a plane.

Community Department
2,108 posts
520 battles
8 hours ago, TimmyGuy said:

Thanks to any replies!

Hi! Here is still actual video I recomend to use. Liked it for simplicity and visibility:

[IW]
Members
14 posts
7,385 battles

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info! I did and still do watch videos, read articles, etc to improve my gameplay. I still dunno how I missed the smoke spotting disadvantages LOL Regardless, thanks again all!

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,804 battles

Also, remember to press "H" to see how far you can be spotted through smoke when firing.

This range applies whether or not you are in smoke, they are in smoke, or you are BEHIND a smoke cloud.

One other thing: due to some idiocy on WG's part, the "range to be detected upon firing" continues to be applied in a completely broken way when you enter/exit smoke.  What this means, is this:

1. You're in smoke, firing away. Nothing is inside your smoke-firing-detection range, so you're unspotted.
  2. You decided to leave the smoke.
  3. You stop firing a couple of seconds before leaving the smoke
  4. As soon as you exit the smoke, your detection range blooms up to the normal "detection upon firing" range for at least a couple of seconds.
  5. This means, you will USUALLY get detected when leaving smoke, if you've been firing inside that smoke, and don't leave at least 5+ seconds between your last shot and exiting the smoke.
  6. This detection is brief - usually only 1-2 seconds, before the normal "non-firing" detection is enforced, but it's a bug that you're spotted at all, and can be VERY lethal to you.

Also, this happens:

1. You're outside smoke, shooting, and are spotted.
  2. You duck into a smoke screen, and your detection range now drops to the "inside smoke" detection
  3. You don't fire anymore after entering the smoke
  4. However, you leave the smoke fairly quickly, and BAM!, You get detected again
  5. This is because your normal "firing detection range" gets applied for a full 30 seconds AFTER the last time you fire, regardless of whether or not you enter and leave smoke, pass behind an island, or whatnot.   It's dumb, it's stupid, it's completely broken, but it is what it is.

[IW]
Members
14 posts
7,385 battles

Thanks for the reply! Like smoke is any good anyways LOL After this post, and all your kind educational points, I realize...Unless there is a CV in the game using planes to spot me and bomb me, I use smoke as a diversion tactic or to help a struggling teammate.

Maybe late in the game when you can sit in smoke without fear of RADAR then you can fire from smoke and enjoy all the easy firing. Thanks!