You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

I know this is boring, but.......

34 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Alright, please don't bash me for saying this, but I just can't help but notice it. School's been out for more than month in Canada and the US, no matter which state / province you're in. I was bracing for the summer holiday, but to my pleasant surprise, I've had a bearable 4 weeks with some high points, such as breaking my all-time damage record, all time frags record, and finally maintaining a steady 52% win rate. Improvements, improvements, keep them coming. I've been relatively pleased in the last couple of weeks with the quality of teams (except weekends, Fridays, and Mondays), at least by holiday standards. However, starting this week (perhaps as early as this past weekend), things have inexplicably taken a turn for the worse. If we blame it on the kids, they've been out of school for more than a month. I avoided last Friday, I avoided the weekend and Monday, started playing again yesterday and boy it's just as bad, perhaps worse than some of the weekends I've played in the last 1.5 months. Today was another rough day. The aggregate sum of many teams and players I've seen in the last 2 days makes me think they could enter the Mensa for fail teams / players. You know it's usually a bad sign when you either ask for a plan, suggest one, and try to brainstorm some tactical decisions, and you're met with silence. Then, you still have that faint hope that at least some of your team mates KNOW what to do and where they're going. Then you check the scoreboard and see 5 ships down in 6 minutes. You fight, you do your best, and as expected, you end up #1 or #2 on the scoreboard in a game that you consider to be somewhat / well below average.

If there are any missions going on that's bringing out these specials, please let me know. My performance has taken a significant downward spiral because it seems that people don't want to play the game as it's intended to be played. They don't care about winning, damage, kills, caps etc. i do realize that WG is a for-profit company and needs customers, but one of my biggest gripes with the game is how it's overly forgiving towards these specials, who will be a detriment whether they're at Tier 5 or Tier 10. As fun as it is to shoot at potatoes, too many of them on both teams just kills all motivation. It is emotionally draining knowing that I try hard, and that I'm among the few, if not the only player on my team that is half-decent. I'm for the inclusion of missions, but perhaps the format can be reworked to ensure that players still focus on winning / normal things rather than forsaking victory just to complete the missions.

I'd be all for setting limits on the purchase of premium ships. For example, if someone wants to buy a Mass, they need at least one Tier 8 tech tree BB. If someone wants to buy a Z-39, they need at least 1 Tier 7 tech tree DD etc. I see a lot of Mass players with absolutely no idea that they're meant to be brawling. They sit far back at least 10-11km from the nearest cruiser / DD while their cruisers and destroyers succumb to the enemy crossfire while trying to stall the enemy at cap or pushing it.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[STW-M]
Members
2,053 posts
5,874 battles
3 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

If there are any missions going on that's bringing out these specials, please let me know.

Well, there was the Indianapolis marathon going on recently (which just ended about 3-4 days ago), so perhaps there were people who thought they might be able to get a free premium ship and having not read the requirements that popped in.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with my personal progress than with any sort of win rate. For example, yesterday, out of the 7 battles I played, I only won two of them, but my PR on WoWs Stats still increased, so I'm happy regardless.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

Nah, 's not just you. Personally I've noticed a massive increase in Lemming teams this week. I try to look at it as it makes the instances when I get a good or great team even more enjoyable-and I have had a number of those lately as well.

What's been annoying for me is I just started 5 new ship lines- Russian CA's, British CA's and BB's, and French CA's and BB's. I've been at T6-7 for the past 2-3 months collectively (I got to that point in December, then took a 6.5 month break starting late January and have been back since some time in June), and being back with people who don't know the game at all in T3-4. So not only is it newbies, it's a large number of high school newbies who don't know anything and also don't give a damn.

Like there was one battle where there was this Kaiser who was staying waaaay back, at the extreme edge of his range, or out of range completely, not helping at all. I figured he was new, so I'm just like 'Kaiser, close in, you're a brawler, not gonna do jack from back there.' Guy responds 'BBs don't do well in close, if I close in I die.' >_< I'm like 'you're very new, I take it.' "Well it's T4 so obviously" Again >_< So I proceed to explain to him that people start new lines all the time, low tiere =/= newbie necessarily, German BBs are brawlers, make sure to angle, stay bow or stern on and you'll bounce a ton of shells, do some research before your next battle cuz each ship in each nationality and each type play differently...he says 'OK we'll see how this goes'...and then proceeds to stay broadside to like 3 Red BBs and gets wasted. Like what did I JUST tell you? -_-

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

These past two days I've really felt like the game would be better if guys like that one in the German BB were held hostage until he could reach a certain threshold in gameplay, LOL. What they don't realize is in a multi-player online game there are stakes involved. They might not give a damn, but it's the players who give a damn that have to clean up after them. As much as we love to have good games, it gets tiring time after time when we realize no matter how much we do our team mates can't even show that little bit of gratitude for our contributions by at least pulling their act together for the win (I don't understand how killing almost half / more than half of the reds and racking up a ton of damage, perhaps taking a cap or two, is not contributing to the win). I've watched a number of videos from Panzerknacker and WoWS Replays today, those players had splendid personal performances that are a pipe dream for me at this moment in time, but their team just couldn't get their [edited]act together towards victory.

For the sake of my WoWS sanity I wouldn't be completely opposed to the opening of summer tuition centers, hagwon style, across the US and Canada so parents who can't afford / don't want to take their kids on vacation abroad can send them there instead of ruining the day for us regulars. Their fun, our nightmare, as I always love to say. My uncle's seeing another woman, and one time she brought her 11-year old son over to the house. He watched me play WoWS, and wanted to play my Atlanta. I firmly said NO, he begged and begged, and five minutes later he went back to playing Clash Royale on his iPad.

How do these suckers find any enjoyment? Even when I was a pre-teen / teenager I simply stopped playing something I couldn't get decent at.

[SIDE]
Members
1,251 posts
8,868 battles
14 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Nah, 's not just you. Personally I've noticed a massive increase in Lemming teams this week. I try to look at it as it makes the instances when I get a good or great team even more enjoyable-and I have had a number of those lately as well.

What's been annoying for me is I just started 5 new ship lines- Russian CA's, British CA's and BB's, and French CA's and BB's. I've been at T6-7 for the past 2-3 months collectively (I got to that point in December, then took a 6.5 month break starting late January and have been back since some time in June), and being back with people who don't know the game at all in T3-4. So not only is it newbies, it's a large number of high school newbies who don't know anything and also don't give a damn.

Like there was one battle where there was this Kaiser who was staying waaaay back, at the extreme edge of his range, or out of range completely, not helping at all. I figured he was new, so I'm just like 'Kaiser, close in, you're a brawler, not gonna do jack from back there.' Guy responds 'BBs don't do well in close, if I close in I die.' >_< I'm like 'you're very new, I take it.' "Well it's T4 so obviously" Again >_< So I proceed to explain to him that people start new lines all the time, low tiere =/= newbie necessarily, German BBs are brawlers, make sure to angle, stay bow or stern on and you'll bounce a ton of shells, do some research before your next battle cuz each ship in each nationality and each type play differently...he says 'OK we'll see how this goes'...and then proceeds to stay broadside to like 3 Red BBs and gets wasted. Like what did I JUST tell you? -_-

Grab him, take him into a training room, tell him to watch Ichase's how-to youtube channel and talk to him after the game. All of these are better than telling a new player in-game, how to improve.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
Just now, _Rumple_ said:

Grab him, take him into a training room, tell him to watch Ichase's how-to youtube channel and talk to him after the game. All of these are better than telling a new player in-game, how to improve.

Well, he was at Tier 4. Doesn't it leave you speechless when you see someone in a Bismarck / Tirpitz / Scharnhorst sniping? You ask them why they're doing that and tell them the right way to play, they tell you they've landed hits at that range before and tell you to STFU?

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

子曰:傻逼的命不是命。

Confucius says: The lives of [edited] are not lives.

Got a chat ban today because some moron's feelings were hurt when I called him out on being that guy in a YOLO DD, the one out of two DDs on the team.

[SIDE]
Members
1,251 posts
8,868 battles
6 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Well, he was at Tier 4. Doesn't it leave you speechless when you see someone in a Bismarck / Tirpitz / Scharnhorst sniping? You ask them why they're doing that and tell them the right way to play, they tell you they've landed hits at that range before and tell you to STFU?

If they are rude, then they can proceed with their subpar under 50% winrates. It's too late at mid to high tier. But at tier 4, you can give pointers. I've been told to mind my own business to ignored to thanks for the advice. You can't let a few spoil things.

Edited by _Rumple_

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
4 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

If they are rude, then they can proceed with their subpar 50% winrates. It's too late at mid to high tier. But at tier 4, you can give pointers. I've been told to mind my own business to ignored to thanks for the advice. You can't let a few spoil things.

At tiers 3-5, if someone does something incorrectly, I still have the patience to teach them what little I can teach. However, if I see the same at Tiers 6 and above, I'm far less merciful.

For example:

If someone in an Izyaslav thought a DD's job is to yolo cap and die, I'd tell them they must strive to live for as long as possible, because a DD's value as a spotter, torper, and capper goes up the longer he survives. Many late game changers have been because of good DD play.

If I see someone in a Leningrad, Gadjah Madah, Kidd, Fletcher etc. do the same, then I won't hesitate to go all out on him and his mother.

I've been called autistic a few times. I've been told to kill myself. I wonder how many of these low-lifes feel when I tell them I actually have autism symptoms yet I'm still better than perhaps 70% of the playerbase. 

[ICE9]
Members
828 posts
49 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Personally, I'd be more concerned with my personal progress than with any sort of win rate.

Pretty much this.  It's a team-based game, and as in real life societies, over-all results and statistics are massively weighted my the prevailing character of the population.

There are sub-sets, of course, like clan wars/battles and high-powered divisions that can raise the quality of teams but in general you're stuck with the whims of MM.

I prefer to measure success by asking one question: was that fun? If yes, great. If no, what can I do to have more fun? You can define "fun" any way you want to suit yourself.

That's what we're here for, right?

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Well fun for me involves doing the best I can, dealing damage, getting kills, caps, that even if I end up dying I feel like my performance was worth a darn. Fun for me does not involve the definition of fun for the vast majority of players who never come to the forums, never learn etc. That's my subjective definition of fun, but I'm sorry to have offended the god that is 70-80% of the playerbase because I believe this definition of fun should more or less be the objective definition. It's not like they can't have fun. If they want their definition of fun there's PvE and low tiers.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
12 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Maybe...if he showed the intelligence to try to actually follow through on what little advice I could give in the heat of battle. I mean...'Stay facing the enemy and you're a tank' is pretty simple to follow, no? And yet he just stays broadside...feel like there's not much I can do at that point XD

11 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Yeah...the 'whole fear of getting those T7-10 paintjobs scratched' is just ridiculous lol. What truly was a sight to see is when I was in my Bayern supporting a Gneis against a Nelson at close range...Gneis got with in secondary range and I just stared dumbfounded at the unholy firestorm Gneis unloaded. Took the Nelson down from 90% health to 40% with JUST secondaries in seconds.

[SIDE]
Members
1,251 posts
8,868 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

At tiers 3-5, if someone does something incorrectly, I still have the patience to teach them what little I can teach. However, if I see the same at Tiers 6 and above, I'm far less merciful.

For example:

If someone in an Izyaslav thought a DD's job is to yolo cap and die, I'd tell them they must strive to live for as long as possible, because a DD's value as a spotter, torper, and capper goes up the longer he survives. Many late game changers have been because of good DD play.

If I see someone in a Leningrad, Gadjah Madah, Kidd, Fletcher etc. do the same, then I won't hesitate to go all out on him and his mother.

Yeah, I agree. I get a little salty at times also...but sometimes people make mistakes, especially in DD's(I know I do), so one DD match might be bad, while you play really well in the next. I try to refrain from calling out someone at high tier until I can check out their profile to see if they are consistently bad in a ship.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
3 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Yeah, I agree. I get a little salty at times also...but sometimes people make mistakes, especially in DD's(I know I do), so one DD match might be bad, while you play really well in the next. I try to refrain from calling out someone at high tier until I can check out their profile to see if they are consistently bad in a ship.

And usually when you check the profiles of players like these they perform extremely poorly, or at most, significantly below average across ships, classes, and tiers. We all have bad matches here and there, but these players are the common denominator in pretty much all of their performances.

Take me for example, there's pretty much an equal number of ships I can do at least somewhat well in, and ships I just can't make work, at least not for now. I focus on the ships I can play well at the moment, while learning new stuff and possibly revisiting the ships that I did poorly in, or picking up new ships that click with me. If I'm not good in a ship, I take a break from it / ditch it and just focus on the ships that have proven themselves to me because I'd rather not torture my team and myself through incompetence in that ship.

That's not the mentality these players have. Their tastes in ships are spread all over the place, and they bring their suckiness all over the place.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

And usually when you check the profiles of players like these they perform extremely poorly, or at most, significantly below average across ships, classes, and tiers. We all have bad matches here and there, but these players are the common denominator in pretty much all of their performances.

This was an OP I made a couple days ago. Real gem of a player, that one was.

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
5 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

This was an OP I made a couple days ago. Real gem of a player, that one was.

If you're not that good at the game yet but trying to learn, then that's perfectly fine with me. If you ask me for a couple of pointers I'll help you to the best my ability. However, a player like the one you posted stats of is beyond salvation, and all that's left for them is to die a fiery death at the hands of whatever shoots at them. Then, they cuss and blame others for their incompetence. "Why did no one support me?"

Well it's because you camped your gun and steel behemoth far from the battle while everyone else was getting torn into pieces, and now you're the only ship left on the team!

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

If you're not that good at the game yet but trying to learn, then that's perfectly fine with me. If you ask me for a couple of pointers I'll help you to the best my ability. However, a player like the one you posted stats of is beyond salvation, and all that's left for them is to die a fiery death at the hands of whatever shoots at them. Then, they cuss and blame others for their incompetence.

Indeed. Crap like that is why I'm so ecstatic when I end up with a team that REALLY works together. Had one of those the other day, two other BB skippers ended up working especially close with me, and the other team was pretty good too, so it was a really good, close match. Then oddly enough 2 games later we end up on the same map...but the other two are on the enemy team. One of em ended up trying to ram me when I took his health down, JUST missed me so he's tailing me at a distance of about 5 feet, and my secondaries take him down. We all had a good laugh, gave each other kudos. I think that's the most fun I've had in game since I got it lol.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,412 battles
33 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

BBs firing HE the entire match (non-RN BBs)

The hell you say... Potato BB drivers plz ignore BBsquid. He doesnt know what hes talking about. Plz continue to fire HE at everything & ignore those shiny white dots coming at you shaving off huge chunks of you HP. They were just flukes, RNG giving you a bad turn. 

Psst... shutup BBsquid, you ruining it for us! :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Members
112 posts
887 battles

Not all tier 3-4 players are trying to suck. I'm about to get my first tier 4 and I'm still quite new. I've watched youtube videos on how to play each class and try to follow the advice. I try to learn something new every battle. I still run into islands, and do a lot of crapthat would have most vets shaking their heads in frustration. I may have even put a couple torps in the side of a teammate (for shame). I'm sticking mostly to co-op for now at the advice of others. If you're a more experienced player in a lower tier fight, by all means light up comms with advice or tactics. In every one of my admittedly few battles I find comms remarkably silent.

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,412 battles
5 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

Not all tier 3-4 players are trying to suck. I'm about to get my first tier 4 and I'm still quite new. I've watched youtube videos on how to play each class and try to follow the advice. I try to learn something new every battle. I still run into islands, and do a lot of crapthat would have most vets shaking their heads in frustration. I may have even put a couple torps in the side of a teammate (for shame). I'm sticking mostly to co-op for now at the advice of others. If you're a more experienced player in a lower tier fight, by all means light up comms with advice or tactics. In every one of my admittedly few battles I find comms remarkably silent.

Glad to hear it & at the number of battles youve got honestly we dont expect much other than having the right attitude which it sounds like you do. Pay attention & learn all you can & you will do well in this game. 

Use a common sense filter about advice in game. There are a whole lot of arm chair admirals that have no clue what they are doing let alone be able to give good advice but they are also the 1st to tell you what you are doing wrong. Instead ask questions here. Almost everyone here is helpful & knowledgeable with relatively few of the "get gud" crowd.

Members
112 posts
887 battles
6 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

Glad to hear it & at the number of battles youve got honestly we dont expect much other than having the right attitude which it sounds like you do. Pay attention & learn all you can & you will do well in this game. 

Use a common sense filter about advice in game. There are a whole lot of arm chair admirals that have no clue what they are doing let alone be able to give good advice but they are also the 1st to tell you what you are doing wrong. Instead ask questions here. Almost everyone here is helpful & knowledgeable with relatively few of the "get gud" crowd.

That's pretty much what I've been trying to do. sticking with co-op is working as I find it much more forgiving when I do screw up. A few people recommended Notser's videos, so I've been sticking with those. I haven't figured out how to be all sneaky in a DD like he recommends, but I'm still finding them the most enjoyable type to play so far.

[YORHA]
Members
3,328 posts
6 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

First bit of advice I can think of is use Co-op ONLY to learn your ship.  The play style and tactics you need to develop in co-op will get you rapidly deleted in PVP.

Secondly for early tiers (III-VI) at tactic that worked for me in BBs and CA/CLs is to learn how, in the early stages, to move up, do damage and then withdraw to safety.  The key to doing well is damage + survival.  In the early stages of the game there are a whole mess of ships to shoot at you so that is the time to do what damage you can and then move back to safety.  Once the bad guys settle on another target re-engage.   Now I am not saying move back to the map border, but back to your visibility limits (ie you are undetected).  If you can't get undetected then you moved too far up in the first place.  If you stay undetected all the time you moved too far back.  When the red herd thins out that is the time to move up and stay up (using common sense) and push.

Oh...and in a BB or CA/CL never never go alone (at least in the first 12-15 minutes of a battle).  Even if the team is lemming training in the early stages go with them. A single ship can take on another single, or maybe even two, but anymore than that and you are an XP pinata for them.

Focus Damage alone = so so game for you but loss for team

Focus Survival alone = bad game for you and loss for team (and a lot of negative karma).

Focus Damage + Survival = Success

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,926 battles
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

First bit of advice I can think of is use Co-op ONLY to learn your ship.  The play style and tactics you need to develop in co-op will get you rapidly deleted in PVP.

Secondly for early tiers (III-VI) at tactic that worked for me in BBs and CA/CLs is to learn how, in the early stages, to move up, do damage and then withdraw to safety.  The key to doing well is damage + survival.  In the early stages of the game there are a whole mess of ships to shoot at you so that is the time to do what damage you can and then move back to safety.  Once the bad guys settle on another target re-engage.   Now I am not saying move back to the map border, but back to your visibility limits (ie you are undetected).  If you can't get undetected then you moved too far up in the first place.  If you stay undetected all the time you moved too far back.  When the red herd thins out that is the time to move up and stay up (using common sense) and push.

Oh...and in a BB or CA/CL never never go alone (at least in the first 12-15 minutes of a battle).  Even if the team is lemming training in the early stages go with them. A single ship can take on another single, or maybe even two, but anymore than that and you are an XP pinata for them.

Focus Survival alone = bad game for you and loss for team (and a lot of negative karma).

and objectives, JCC. Im sure you inferred that but just wanted to spell it out. Dealing damage, mitigating received damage while playing to the objectives =team win and good XP

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
30 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

At least you're trying, that's all that matters at the lower tiers. And even high tier players make mistakes or have a bad match/day. Hell I'm T7 now and I *still* run in to an island now and then because a battle gets so hectic and I'm zoomed in while trying to dodge, and just *happened* to not look in the proper direction when zoomed out to see I'm about to become the proverbial beached whale XD

I would recommend though, of the things you mentioned, REALLY working on torp friendly fire if that's still an issue. Know your ranges, check your surroundings, and if there's the slightest possibility a friendly can turn into your torps path, toss out a warning in chat. At least then even if they turn into them, when they go to yell at you in chat, they'll see the warning they missed and (hopefully) go "d'oh!". 9 times out of 10, a torp friendly fire will be the torp launcher's fault...and people do NOT take kindly to being torped by a friendly XP

As far as comms being silent...well, at lower tiers, it's because people are still learning, or DGAF. Higher tiers, it's because people generally know what they should be doing anyway, or it's people who DGAF who've made their way up...and they're a lost cause anyway, though at higher tiers you will start to see more people coordinate at the very start. I said earlier it's been a struggle making my way up a new line and being back in the lower tiers-there seems to be far more of the 'DGAF' crowd than people like you. Being a bit more experienced, I've been trying to toss out polite advice when I see a player or team doing something very obviously unhelpful (leaving one side of the map undefended, starting to YOLO, staying too far back to be effective, etc), very few people have responded.

9 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

That's pretty much what I've been trying to do. sticking with co-op is working as I find it much more forgiving when I do screw up. A few people recommended Notser's videos, so I've been sticking with those. I haven't figured out how to be all sneaky in a DD like he recommends, but I'm still finding them the most enjoyable type to play so far.

Man, if you can get even half decent as a DD skipper, every team you're on will end up LOVING you-and the enemy will die cursing you to every kind of hell there is XD Also keep in mind different nationalities of DDs play VERY differently (true for every ship type, but especially true for DDs)

Edited by Stormie1126

Members
112 posts
887 battles
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Great advice! Thanks. I've already recognized some areas I'm lacking. I'm still not entirely sure how to best utilize a cruiser. I'm thinking my assessment of where to position is pretty bad as I fairly quickly find myself in a hoard of destroyers and end up doing the torpedo dance for most of the battle. I plodded away to get my first BB and hated it. Slow, horrid reload time, didn't enjoy it at all. Felt like I was throwing rocks at a pride of lions while riding a lame elephant. I enjoy the knife fight style of the DD's. Get in, torp the hell out of something, run away. I'm a little distraught that apparently the lowly DD gets nerfed at higher tiers. I'll try to suck it up and take a couple beatings to figureout the cruisers.