Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Formidable

So I don't get Queen Elizabeth...

10 comments in this topic

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles

I haven't played her heaps, but I'd play her more if I understood her.

Despite not having Warspite's erroneous WW1 era fully-stocked torpedo magazines ahead and behind the main turrets (without the WW1 torpedo tubes to make that vulnerability worthwhile, I might add), QE feels more 'squishy'. She seems to take more citadels, though by my reading is she had a slightly better balance of deck armour and bulkheads in her rebuild (lessons learnt from Warspite).

Ok, her turret traverse is crap because Wargaming reasons. There is nothing that can be done about that except to pre-aim the ship. But I'm used to that. I've been doing it with Warspite since Beta before it was buffed.

However, her 15in guns seem to produce more  overpen / shatter per salvo than Warspite. And is her sigma different?

Her DP secondary suite would be nice if there were more carriers in game. So clearly that is also a reduction in available DPS. And removes her from the "brawler" category of Warspite.

Anyway, I can go out and consistently produce more than 100k results in my Warspite. In QE, I'm lucky to equal my own hitpoints.

So anybody know why QE just feels such an uncomfortable "fit" when compared to the likes of her sister ship Warspite, and her stablemate Hood? How does someone play to her strengths?

I'll keep practicing. But QE just feels ... odd, with no clear performance parameters.

7bb774bed959ecf1e08a841fe3575f81.jpg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,854 posts
17,446 battles

I didn't like QE either, nor do I do well in her, but as I have been on the receiving end of many who do, I just put it down to me just being unskilled in how to play her correctly.

Members
321 posts
2,719 battles

If you used the warspite first then I would find it hard to believe you enjoy any tier 6 battleships. The big seller on the warspite is that its got pin point accurate guns, that thing could probably snipe a needle out of a haystack. The QE requires a very active playstyle its one of the few UK BB's capable of damaging heavily armored ships with AP but it still doesn't have as good of AP as the other nations so you often will be switching back to HE. I cant think of anything negative to say about the armor, its does its job and keeps you from getting blapped in one salvo, it can even effectively shrug off tier 8 BB rounds if you angle correctly. I see alot of hate for the QE but honestly its never given me problems, just feels like another seal clubber like the rest of the british line.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,722 posts
3,603 battles

I liked her enough that I may buy her back, I found her AP to be pretty nice at wrecking most ships unless I'm in a T8 match. I used the Main Armaments mod that increases traverse but slows the reload, I think it made the reload 31 or 32 seconds but it made the ship a heck of allot more comfortable to play. I would rather take a slightly slower reload than trying to swing my turrets on something that is just moving fast enough to keep in front of them.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,599 posts
3,891 battles

You need to get a little closer with the Queen Elizabeth than with the Warspite.  If you're firing at her longer ranges, you need to do things like aim at the turrets, or switch to HE.  At closer ranges, she does just fine.  I one shot a Scharnhorst (from about 80% health) at about 6km yesterday.  We were both surprised.  5 of 8 shots hit.  No citadels either.  So the QE's guns can get the job done.

EDIT: Also, I think that image is Valiant, Queen Elizabeth and Warspite, in order from closest to farthest. :)

[BBMOD]
[BBMOD]
Members
4 posts
2,477 battles

I find it hilarious that on the wiki it's described as, "Queen Elizabeth possesses adequate speed for her tier, and has a solid armor belt married to hard-hitting, accurate guns with good firing angles."

[UN1]
Members
676 posts
2,498 battles
On 7/18/2018 at 11:04 PM, HMS_Formidable said:

I haven't played her heaps, but I'd play her more if I understood her.

Despite not having Warspite's erroneous WW1 era fully-stocked torpedo magazines ahead and behind the main turrets (without the WW1 torpedo tubes to make that vulnerability worthwhile, I might add), QE feels more 'squishy'. She seems to take more citadels, though by my reading is she had a slightly better balance of deck armour and bulkheads in her rebuild (lessons learnt from Warspite).

Ok, her turret traverse is crap because Wargaming reasons. There is nothing that can be done about that except to pre-aim the ship. But I'm used to that. I've been doing it with Warspite since Beta before it was buffed.

However, her 15in guns seem to produce more  overpen / shatter per salvo than Warspite. And is her sigma different?

Her DP secondary suite would be nice if there were more carriers in game. So clearly that is also a reduction in available DPS. And removes her from the "brawler" category of Warspite.

Anyway, I can go out and consistently produce more than 100k results in my Warspite. In QE, I'm lucky to equal my own hitpoints.

So anybody know why QE just feels such an uncomfortable "fit" when compared to the likes of her sister ship Warspite, and her stablemate Hood? How does someone play to her strengths?

I'll keep practicing. But QE just feels ... odd, with no clear performance parameters.

7bb774bed959ecf1e08a841fe3575f81.jpg

They're both a bit different from each other.  While I haven't played the QE yet, this info might help:

• Warspite has her own unique dispersion table shared only with the Hood and Vanguard, whereas the QE is on the US/UK dispersion table which probably gives you more horizontal dispersion.  Both have a 2.0 sigma.
  • Warspite has standard AP fuse times, whereas the QE has the reduced AP fuse times found on other tech-tree British warships.  This means you're less likely to get devastating citadels unless the target is flat broadside to you.  QE does have much superior firing angles
  • QE has superior HE performance having a slightly higher fire chance, more HE shell damage, and superior penetration (1/4 rule vs 1/6 rule on the Warspite).
  • QE has much better firing angles than the Warspite, but slower turret traverse speed.

Basically, along with the Hood and Vanguard, the Warspite is an uniquely British AP boat.  They're on their own unique dispersion table to provide greater accuracy for a 4x2 turret arrangement, but they lack the HE performance (except Vanguard) that the British tech-tree line has.  The QE, like the other British tech-tree boats, is designed for players who enjoy micro-decision making and choosing when to strike and what shell type to strike with.  The dispersion, while good, is designed to spread the HE shells over a little bit wider of an area and start more fires in a single salvo, but yet still being good enough to use AP when necessary. 

Hope this helps.  :)

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
694 posts
3,211 battles

QE was somewhat a letdown. She was decently armored but not as good as other tier VI BBs. It couldn't long range fight because it only shot 8 shells that weren't overly accurate, it couldn't short range fight because the turret traverse sucked and it was fat. In mid range combat is was only mediocre, as the fire ability wasn't too good with the long reload and small shell count and the AP didn't really punch through like it should have. 

Tiers III-VII are great in the british BB line, with the exception of the QE. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,455 battles

I got QE after Warspite, and it feels really strange. They're very close and far apart at the same time.  It's like the uncanny valley, except for ships.  

Sign in to follow this