Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Getting better with the Gearing

10 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles

Haven't got  Kraken yet but I did my fair share this game at least. It was intense at first but about the biggest scare I had mid-game was was when a friendly Iowa rammed me in smoke. It was pretty intense at the last too. As you can see, I play the Gearing as a gunboat.

shot-18_07.18_21_43.24-0480.thumb.jpg.977a8daae1c1c8ee95f5310e8360c78e.jpg

https://m.mediafire.com/view/f31530lj2b27nlu

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
13 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Haven't got  Kraken yet but I did my fair share this game at least. It was intense at first but about the biggest scare I had mid-game was was when a friendly Iowa rammed me in smoke. It was pretty intense at the last too. As you can see, I play the Gearing as a gunboat.

shot-18_07.18_21_43.24-0480.thumb.jpg.977a8daae1c1c8ee95f5310e8360c78e.jpg

https://m.mediafire.com/view/f31530lj2b27nlu

Nicely done, I still think Gearing should be a tier 9 and Fletcher be the tier 10.  I don't much care for Gearing either way lol.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

The ram... quite often it's deliberate... for some strange reason, some players believe  your smoke is for them. Myself, I cannot convince myself to stay inside my own Gearing smoke any more; just not worth it. I use it to strategically relocate or (more often than not) to screen the team. Plays crap with my personal performances as I get sunk more often but it's betterer that way. :cap_win:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
42 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Nicely done, I still think Gearing should be a tier 9 and Fletcher be the tier 10.  I don't much care for Gearing either way lol.

I don't think Gearing should be a tier 9, but I do wish that we would have gotten a tier 10 USN DD that was an improvement and a continuation of what Fletcher is instead of a ship which plays so differently.

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles
12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The ram... quite often it's deliberate... for some strange reason, some players believe  your smoke is for them. Myself, I cannot convince myself to stay inside my own Gearing smoke any more; just not worth it. I use it to strategically relocate or (more often than not) to screen the team. Plays crap with my personal performances as I get sunk more often but it's betterer that way. :cap_win:

Many times I smoke to bait other DDs into firing torps. Other times it's for the cruisers, who can really take advantage of 12 km or so smoke. Unfortunately, if there  is a BB around, even though he will be detected in the smoke the instant he fires his guns, he will usually want to push me out of it and take it for himself.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I don't think Gearing should be a tier 9, but I do wish that we would have gotten a tier 10 USN DD that was an improvement and a continuation of what Fletcher is instead of a ship which plays so differently.

The Gearing is tankier and has a better gunfire. It's not as nimble as the Fletcher, nor does its torpedoes reload as fast (although it can now be equipped now with Fletcher torpedoes). The ships definitely do play differently. I tend to prefer the Gearing though as I like to brawl. I like those long-range torps too; especially as with the new radar meta, DDs have an effective concealment of 10 km most of the time.

Edited by Snargfargle

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

The Gearing is tankier and has a better gunfire. It's not as nimble as the Fletcher, nor does its torpedoes reload as fast (although it can now be equipped now with Fletcher torpedoes). The ships definitely do play differently. I tend to prefer the Gearing though as I like to brawl.

Yeah ... lots of ship preferences come down to play style choices.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
11 minutes ago, Umikami said:

That's kind of half the reason why I sold my Gearing, I actually wasn't happy with it what so ever.  Heck I wasn't even happy with my Shimakaze.  How ever the IJN gun boat line for dds is kind of my go to now.  Maybe once they add in some fixes maybe I'll play Gearing again but as it sits now no.  Those who can do well in her then yea more power to them I for one am a potato in Gearing.

[LANCE]
Members
307 posts
3,246 battles

I prefer my Fletcher over the Gearing but you’re right about the Gearing having more fun power. For my torps on the Gearing I use the long range ones but have the Capt skill that shortens the range but adds the speed! They’re still 12.5km range IIRC but now go 71kts so you can sit out of radar range and still have effective torps!

[PSP]
Members
6,243 posts
8,881 battles

This game, it seemed my torpedoes had magnets in them. The team was excellent too, all of them. If I could team with teams like this all the time there would be no stopping us!

shot-18_07.19_13_40.41-0926.thumb.jpg.fbf80425998e7ef89afd60905c11eab9.jpg

Sign in to follow this