You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Gearing buff

19 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
Members
304 posts
6,302 battles

So has anyone completed the missions to obtain the new hull for the Gearing? If so was it worth it?

[SALVO]
Members
17,094 posts
17,761 battles

New hull?  What new hull?  You mean the Unique upgrade module?

[PQUOD]
Members
304 posts
6,302 battles
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Crucis said:

New hull?  What new hull?  You mean the Unique upgrade module?

yes

Beta Testers
2,136 posts
3,620 battles
25 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

yes

meh at best... you give up so much to outspot 1 trash tier ship.

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles

It isn't a "hull" per se but an upgrade module that replaces your current stealth module. It lowers detection range from 5.9 km to 5.6 km to the detriment of reducing your torpedo reload by 5% and your gun reload by 15%. I can't see that this module is in any way shape of form anything but a nerf in random games.

With radar you are almost never going to get 5.7 km away from anything undetected anyway. The only benefit to the module would be simultaneous detection of a Shimikaze. In practical circumstances you almost always are moving forward when you are detected and thus detect the Shimikaze right after you are detected anyway.

The only reason I'm not selling it for 2.5 million credits is in hope that they will make it better in an upcoming patch. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
304 posts
6,302 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It isn't a "hull" per se but an upgrade module that replaces your current stealth module. It lowers detection range from 5.9 km to 5.6 km to the detriment of reducing your torpedo reload by 5% and your gun reload by 15%. I can't see that this module is in any way shape of form anything but a nerf in random games. With radar you are never going to get 5.7 km away from anything undetected anyway. The only reason I'm not selling it for 2.5 million credits is in hope that they will make it better in an upcoming patch. Even lowering the reload nerf to 10% (which you could counter with another module and/or skill) might make it worthwhile in some specific circumstances.

Ty

[KRAK]
Members
1,290 posts
13,733 battles
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

So has anyone completed the missions to obtain the new hull for the Gearing? If so was it worth it?

No. It is not worth it. I have it and the Khab legendary modules and both are garbage. You trade off so much to gain so little.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
304 posts
6,302 battles
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, Vaffu said:

No. It is not worth it. I have it and the Khab legendary modules and both are garbage. You trade off so much to gain so little.

I have changed back. As Snargfargle mentioned. In T10 battles it is a mute point because there will always be radar cruisers.  That negates any .3 visual concealability in the game. I tried it and it actually hindered me because guns and torpedoes were slower loads

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I got the Shima one, played 1 game, took it back off. Absolute trash. I have 9 others in the works which I may get before the heat death of the universe.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,885 posts
10,675 battles
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Vaffu said:

Isn't that basically the issue with almost all these modules? Very few seem to be a step forward or even sideways. Most seem to be a giant leap backwards. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

Yeah, the point of the unique upgrade is to not be a no-brainer choice.

although it is on some of the ships.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
564 posts
5,215 battles

Yea gaining what 300m concealment for a hit to your damage output doesn't really seem to worth it.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

I mean, not to point out the obvious or anything, but if you try a different captain build with the modified Gearing hull, you get more gun firepower than your typical Gearingkaze

In fact, I took BFT on modified Gearing there, but I'm not even sure that's necessary, seeing as it does 21.96RPM.

jppd9wI.jpg

Edited by MrDeaf

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
On 7/18/2018 at 10:42 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

On 7/26/2018 at 3:58 PM, Hanger_18 said:

meh at best... you give up so much to outspot 1 trash tier ship.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, Snargfargle said:

It isn't a "hull" per se but an upgrade module that replaces your current stealth module. It lowers detection range from 5.9 km to 5.6 km to the detriment of reducing your torpedo reload by 5% and your gun reload by 15%. I can't see that this module is in any way shape of form anything but a nerf in random games.

With radar you are almost never going to get 5.7 km away from anything undetected anyway. The only benefit to the module would be simultaneous detection of a Shimikaze. In practical circumstances you almost always are moving forward when you are detected and thus detect the Shimikaze right after you are detected anyway.

The only reason I'm not selling it for 2.5 million credits is in hope that they will make it better in an upcoming patch. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:50 PM, Vaffu said:

On 8/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, Panic512 said:

Yea gaining what 300m concealment for a hit to your damage output doesn't really seem to worth it.

Gearing Modified Hull slot 5

It gives -15% detectability, +5% max dispersion of shells fired at you, +15% main gun load time, +5% torpedo reload time.

The Slot 5 Concealment Systems mod 1 gives you -10% detectability and +5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3 second main gun reload
7.2 second main gun 180 degree turn
106 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 90.1 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 81.1 seconds reload)
136 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 115.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 104 seconds reload)
5.94km with camo, CE skill, & CSM1 upgrade in slot 5.
+5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3.3 second rudder shift
2km assured acquisition of enemy ships

The Slot 5 Unique Upgrade 
3.45 second main gun reload (slot 6 MBM3 gives 3.036s reload, 8.3 second main gun 180 degree turn) 
111.3 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 94.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 85.1 seconds reload) 
142.8 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 121.4 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 109.2 seconds reload)
5.61km with camo, CE skill, & Unique Upgrade.
+5% to the max dispersion of the ships shooting at you.
3.3 second rudder shift

Check out the comparison below to see what you gain in spotting range vs T10s. Looking at just the T10s, it doesn't seem to do much, but when you look at the MM spread, the upgrade jumps the Gearing over a bunch of DDs in spotting range.

T-10 Spotting ranges (with CE module, CE skill & camo) Gearing+ is the one with the Unique Upgrade

Daring WIP  5.5km

Shimakaze   5.59km

Gearing+  5.61km

Yueyang  5.83km

Gearing  5.94km

Grozovoi  5.98km

Z-52  6.08km

Harugumo  6.23km

Khabarovsk  7.86km

Spotting ranges across the MM T8-T10 (with CE module, CE skill & camo) Gearing+ is the one with the Unique Upgrade

Asashio 5.37km

Kagero  5.37km

HSF Harekaze  5.37km

Daring WIP  5.5km

Jutland WIP  5.5km

Lightning WIP  5.5km

Yugumo   5.52km

Shimakaze   5.59km

Gearing+  5.61km

Chung Mu  5.66km

Loyang  5.8km

Hsienyang  5.8km

Black  5.8km

Fletcher  5.8km

Kidd  5.8km

Benson  5.8km

Yueyang  5.83km

Akizuki 5.94km

Kitakaze  5.94km

Z-46   5.94km

Gearing  5.94km

Grozovoi  5.98km

Z-52   6.08km

Ognevoi  6.08km

Harugumo   6.23km

Z-23   6.23km

Udaloi A  6.76km

Kiev 7.07km

Udaloi B  7.23km

Tashkent  7.38km

Khabarovsk  7.86km

Other slot 5 modules

Gearing with Target Acquisition System mod 1 in slot 5
3 second main gun reload
106 second torp reload (10.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 90.1 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 81.1 seconds reload)
136 second torp reload (16.5km torps, slot 6 TTM3 gives 115.6 seconds reload, add in TAE skill and get 104 seconds reload)
6.6km with camo & CE skill.
3.3 second rudder shift
3km assured acquisition of enemy ships
+20% to range that you spot ships
+20% acquistions range of torpedoes, stacks with vigilance

Gearing with Steering Gears mod 3 in slot 5
3 second main gun reload
6.6km with camo & CE skill.
2 second rudder shift and with SGM1 you have a 1.6 second rudder shift
-80% steering gears repair time (I could not find the repair time in the Wiki) 

So you give up at roughly 0.45s reload, roughly 5 seconds 10.5km torp reload, roughly 7 second 16.5km torp reload, but get 0.33km better concealment. Depending on what slot 6 module you use, you can get back close to the gun or torp reloads.

Edit, I got more detailed on the Gearing Unique Upgrade, so I wanted to update this thread.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles

Installed the Module just to see if it would work. It was an abysmal failure. I spent ten minutes under planes and radar, as usual, so the module didn't do me any good there. Then, I I detected a Shimi first -- and then he detected me a split second later. With the lower DPM I failed to sink him and he got away. Finally, I had ten seconds to go on a torp reload when in close proximity to a Montana. However, that ten seconds cost me as the Shimi I failed to kill came back and spotted me and that was that.

Really, I think that whomever designed these modules really has little clue as it how the game is currently played and the massive preponderance of radar. In a game recently there were no fewer than five radar ships and a CV. Good lick sneaking withing 5.6 km of anything there.  The second a radar ship is detected it pops radar. If you are not 10 km away then you are toast. The module is essentially worthless as it now is spec'd. The only reason I'm keeping it is in hopes that it will be buffed. Right now it's going to be demounted.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
26 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Installed the Module just to see if it would work. It was an abysmal failure. I spent ten minutes under planes and radar, as usual, so the module didn't do me any good there. Then, I I detected a Shimi first -- and then he detected me a split second later. With the lower DPM I failed to sink him and he got away. Finally, I had ten seconds to go on a torp reload when in close proximity to a Montana. However, that ten seconds cost me as the Shimi I failed to kill came back and spotted me and that was that.

Really, I think that whomever designed these modules really has little clue as it how the game is currently played and the massive preponderance of radar. In a game recently there were no fewer than five radar ships and a CV. Good lick sneaking withing 5.6 km of anything there.  The second a radar ship is detected it pops radar. If you are not 10 km away then you are toast. The module is essentially worthless as it now is spec'd. The only reason I'm keeping it is in hopes that it will be buffed. Right now it's going to be demounted.

The Unique Upgrade increase your torp reload by 5.3 seconds with 10.5km torps and 6.8 seconds with 16.5km torps, so if you died with 10 seconds left on your torps, you would still have died without the Unique Upgrade.

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles
12 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The Unique Upgrade increase your torp reload by 5.3 seconds with 10.5km torps and 6.8 seconds with 16.5km torps, so if you died with 10 seconds left on your torps, you would still have died without the Unique Upgrade.

That was approximately 10 seconds. I saw a 6.6 on the torp reload icon when I was taken out.

However, I still think that the Devs were working under the old meta when designing the upgrades. It's a whole different game for DDs with 4-6 radar ships per match.

As I've said too; I can't think of a time when a Shimi had me spotted while in a Gearing and I didn't also immediately spot him.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles

Updated the Gearing numbers above with comparisons to other slot 5 modules.

[PSP]
Members
6,313 posts
8,935 battles

I've been using the module in Ranked, which has a bit different meta than Random. In Ranked, the teams are more likely to concentrate fire upon your spotting. Therefore, I've been having some luck with detecting other DDs first and having the team land a few shells on them before they detect me. Team fire makes up somewhat for the lower DPM when you have the module in place. It's hard to say whether I actually like it or not. Sure, the 5.6 km concealment is nice; however, that 15% extra DPM potential goes a long way and you can tell the difference when you don't have it.  Since I generally get something like 200 hits a match, that's 30 hits I'm missing out on. 

Edited by Snargfargle