You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_tube_

Wreckage of the Dimitri Donskoi containing £100 BILLION worth of GOLD found off coast of South Korea with

34 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,217 battles

Beat me to it.... cheers. This news calls for a new T2/T3 Premium that makes 'boat loads of money' :P

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

So the story says it may contain essentially the payroll and expense account for the entire (or majority of the) fleet.  How does this get us to a figure of 100 BILLION Dollars?  Is it all supposed to be in gold, has gold increased that greatly in value over the past century?

100 billion is a VAST amount.

Edited by BullHalsey

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
18 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

So the story says it may contain essentially the payroll and expense account for the entire (or majority of the) fleet.  How does this get us to a figure of 100 BILLION Dollars?  Is it all supposed to be in gold, has gold increased that greatly in value over the past century?

100 billion is a VAST amount.

Gold in 1945 was valued at about $37.50 an ounce.  Gold goes for about $1,450 an ounce today.  That's what, about a 3,866% increase?  That would make $1,000,000 in gold in 1945 worth about $38,660,000 today.   100 billion today would have been about 2.6 billion in 1945.   That's the value of the gold itself, historical finds tend to augment the basic value of the precious metal recovered. 

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
2 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Gold in 1945 was valued at about $37.50 an ounce.  Gold goes for about $1,450 an ounce today.  That's what, about a 3,866% increase?  That would make $1,000,000 in gold in 1945 worth about $38,660,000 today.   100 billion today would have been about 2.6 billion in 1945.   That's the value of the gold itself, historical finds tend to augment the basic value of the precious metal recovered. 

I cannot imagine such a large fleet as it was carrying expenses beyond a few to several mil at the time.  This was a naval fleet, not a Spanish treasure galleon.  You say 2.6 bil in 1945, then say the value of historical finds are augmented.

We're either missing something or the number in the story is enormously exaggerated.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,575 posts

Kinda surprised it wasn't a Paul Allen find

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
42 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

I cannot imagine such a large fleet as it was carrying expenses beyond a few to several mil at the time.  This was a naval fleet, not a Spanish treasure galleon.  You say 2.6 bil in 1945, then say the value of historical finds are augmented.

We're either missing something or the number in the story is enormously exaggerated.

To be honest, I have no idea how much of her cargo was gold or some other precious mettle and how that cargo was valued in 1945 or whenever the ship went down.  I'm also not sure why she would have been carrying the payroll in the form of gold since I think the Soviet Union had switched over to paper currency by that time.  

So, like you, not sure where they are getting their valuation. 

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
8 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

To be honest, I have no idea how much of her cargo was gold or some other precious mettle and how that cargo was valued in 1945 or whenever the ship went down.  I'm also not sure why she would have been carrying the payroll in the form of gold since I think the Soviet Union had switched over to paper currency by that time.  

Oh, thought you were aware of the Battle of Tsushima; this was 1905 when the Japanese annihilated an absurdly run Russian expedition that traveled around the world to get its as* handed to it.  The Japanese at the time had done all they could to replicate the British naval standard, Mikasa itself was built in Britain for the Japanese.  The Russians had goats on the deck and pickle jars in the gun barrels...it was a massacre however apocryphal those accounts may be.  Still I can't see 100 Billion.  Makes no sense.

Beta Testers
526 posts
4,548 battles

That's still 2364.5 short tons (2145.1 metric tons) of gold, a huge amount of weight even for a major warship.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
1 minute ago, NK_33 said:

That's still 2364.5 short tons (2145.1 metric tons) of gold, a huge amount of weight even for a major warship.

I have an extremely difficult time accepting 100 billion.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles

38 ships... 8 BB's 3 costal BB's several cruisers and destroyers.

gold was supposed to be the cost of the fleet, payroll, resupply cost, etc.

also gold in 1905 $20ish dollars per ounce.

gold in 2018 $1,00ish dollars per ounce.

Also 100b euros isnt the right number. Thats just a over estimate of it

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

Do some real math and show me 100 BILLION dollars in that fleet.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

1905, doomed Russian fleet, 100 BILLION dollars in today's value, in one ship no less.  Show me how this can be possible.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,050 posts
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

55 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Oh, thought you were aware of the Battle of Tsushima; this was 1905 when the Japanese annihilated an absurdly run Russian expedition that traveled around the world to get its as* handed to it.  The Japanese at the time had done all they could to replicate the British naval standard, Mikasa itself was built in Britain for the Japanese.  The Russians had goats on the deck and pickle jars in the gun barrels...it was a massacre however apocryphal those accounts may be.  Still I can't see 100 Billion.  Makes no sense.

53 minutes ago, NK_33 said:

51 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

I have an extremely difficult time accepting 100 billion.

2 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

1905, doomed Russian fleet, 100 BILLION dollars in today's value, in one ship no less.  Show me how this can be possible.

It's possible some of it was Art,   That 'Can' have an intrinsic value all it's own

Edited by shadowsrmine

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

It's possible some of it was Art,   That has it's intrinsic value all it's own

So the Russian fleet was carrying tens of billions of dollars worth of Art, in one ship, to fight the Japanese?

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,050 posts
3 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

So the Russian fleet was carrying tens of billions of dollars worth of Art, in one ship, to fight the Japanese?

Never Heard of Loot?

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

The number in the story is completely absurd.  Someone is excited about the find, perhaps was misquoted by an idiot reporter.

The largest shipwreck draw in history was around 500 million, eclipsing even the Atocha treasure galleon.  Somehow this Russian naval fleet from 1905 has 100 Billion in one single ship?

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

Never Heard of Loot?

You must be joking but I'll entertain it just in case; why would a naval fleet sailing around the world carry with it a treasure Ali Baba would crave?

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,050 posts
3 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

The number in the story is completely absurd.  Someone is excited about the find, perhaps was misquoted by an idiot reporter.

The largest shipwreck draw in history was around 500 million, eclipsing even the Atocha treasure galleon.  Somehow this Russian naval fleet from 1905 has 100 Billion in one single ship?

All speculation at this point Yous<->Mine<-->Theirs? And speaking truthfully what's the likely hood of our hearing all the details anyway especially these days

Edited by shadowsrmine

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

All speculation at this point Yous<->Mine<-->Theirs?

Yeah well I got your speculation hanging bud.  Nice try.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

Sounds like those clickbait links.

"A BAJILLION DOLLARS IN NAZI GOLD YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHERE THEY FOUND IT"

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,050 posts
5 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Yeah well I got your speculation hanging bud.  Nice try.

Buddy THERE's NO NEED to get nasty I was being civil and polite now if you want to get nasty and unpleasant welp I have others who did the same and I no longer pay attention to anything they say,  Up until I thought you were OK  however you can go on permanent hold as well just give one more strike and you can join them:etc_swear::Smile-angry:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Buddy THERE's NO NEED to get nasty I was being civil and polite now if you want to get nasty and unpleasant welp I have others who did the same and I no longer pay attention to anything they say,  Up until I thought you were OK  however you can go on permanent hold as well just give one more strike and you can join them:etc_swear::Smile-angry:

Actually I withdraw all previous comments.  This entire story is for the birds, just realized it came from the UK Enquirer.  I was never here.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

I wonder what the Soviet Union would have thought about that filthy bourgeois gold being rediscovered.

Alpha Tester
1,964 posts
5 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Kinda surprised it wasn't a Paul Allen find

I think he's mostly interested in WW2 ships, and Tsushima was more of a massacre than a real naval battle. It's so embarassing for the Russians that even they can't be bothered to find their own shipwrecks (and WG adding Mikasa first with no Borodino in sight). This South Korean company only bothered to find Donskoi because it's allegedly carrying tons of gold, otherwise they would've left it alone.