You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I was deleted in my Des Moines by midway AP bombs, how is that possible

103 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
403 posts
5,411 battles

How is only 30mm of deck armor enough to arm all of the bombs, it was absurd. My def fire was recharging and I had to angle against 3 BBs so there was nothing I could do to avoid it, i was full health then dead instantly. How is that possible it shouldn’t be. I though AP bombs were only really useful against BBs

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles

The AP bombs, w/ some good RNG, will score citadels. Don't know the exact minimum armor, but apparently between 170-250mm will ensure pens--and DM falls into this range when take the mid and citadel armor thickness into account.

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

Even DFAA can fail to stop them as their drop circle is small enough. Heck even the autodrops can delete a number of cruisers whose armor schemes allow the AP bombs to fuse.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
303 posts
5,169 battles

I’ve seen some vids.. apparently the American AP bombs work great against high tier cruisers and less so against BBs. The GZ AP is really only deadly against BBs

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,315 battles

I think the Des Moines has 30mm of weather deck armor, the main internal armor deck is 90mm. Any hits will also potentially go through the 16mm of the superstructure or through the turrets (which have 100mm roof thickness). I suspect there's other internal armor not seen in the viewer too. Basically what Reymu says.

This is a good thing! You see, battleships are overpopulated, so WG has rolled out AP dive bombs which wreck cruisers, especially as both the TB and DB are DFAA-worthy threats. This means there will be fewer cruisers. Fewer cruisers means more destroyers and thus in the WG circle of balance life those destroyers will reduce battleship populations!

Genius!

• Funny 3

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
27 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

How is only 30mm of deck armor enough to arm all of the bombs, it was absurd. My def fire was recharging and I had to angle against 3 BBs so there was nothing I could do to avoid it, i was full health then dead instantly. How is that possible it shouldn’t be. I though AP bombs were only really useful against BBs

RNGesus giveth and RNGesus taketh away!!!!!!

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,694 battles

CVs are a stupid mechanic.

DBs even more stupid.

AP dive bombers are a whole new world of stupid.

Nothing enjoyable, fun, interesting, or challenging about that wholly unethical garbage...

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,929 battles
1 hour ago, bubbleboy264 said:

lmbo,  YOU were trolled by the Midway, I seen a Midway take out a T9 German BB with a stacked set of bombers.  One shotted,  that dude was like wth?  You should of gotten a flag for that,  tell me that Midway CV captain's name, I bet he trolls the heck out of that maneuver.  

OH and the WG forum police changed the A to a B in my first word I typed...omg  

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,665 battles

The AP bombs punch through the weather deck and then get armed upon striking the citadel roof of the ship. Each bomb that scores a citadel hit deals 10,800 damage. So only 5 bombs out of a potential 14 is enough to kill you. You might as well play the Worcester now if you want god-tier AA protection.

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,973 battles
1 hour ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Were you using maxed out AA build? Because if so getting bombers through would be close to impossible I would think.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
896 posts
5,929 battles

Despite being in a Tier X cruiser, never underestimate the capability of a Tier X aircraft carrier and their air group commander (CAG).

I always assume a CAG in a high tier battle (Tier IX or X) will have highly skilled dive bomber and torpedo strike aircraft. Therefore I tend to sail in close proximity to other ships in the fleet for mutual AA coverage.

I know this is small consolation for falling victim to a devastating dive bomber attack. However, there are fleet tactics and strategies for coping with a highly skilled CAG and air group.

I too have recently playing the Des Moines and never stray too far away from other ships in my fleet. I am a firm believer in strength in numbers.

"The first lesson is that you can't lose a war if you have command of the air, and you can't win a war if you haven't." - James Doolittle, US Air Force

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Members
138 posts

because you were camping behind an island he rng was smiling upon him?

desmo getting blapped - my sympathies are limited.

Edited by KaLeuWillenbrock

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
Just now, Gneisenau013 said:

Despite being in a Tier X cruiser, never underestimate the capability of a Tier X aircraft carrier and their air group commander (CAG).

I always assume a CAG in a high tier battle (Tier IX or X) will have highly skilled dive bomber and torpedo strike aircraft. Therefore I tend to sail in close proximity to other ships in the fleet for mutual AA coverage.

I know this is small consolation for falling victim to a devastating dive bomber attack. However, there are fleet tactics and strategies for coping with a highly skilled CAG and air group.

I too have recently playing the Des Moines and never stray too far away from other ships in my fleet. I am a firm believer in strength in numbers.

"The first lesson is that you can't lose a war if you have command of the air, and you can't win a war if you haven't." - James Doolittle, US Air Force

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

This is extremely good advice. As a DM you are very vulnerable to these specialized bombers (They exist to kill you!) You should be in your fleet anyways, so that you can protect your allies against the CV. Unfortunately, since CVs are so rare, this lesson seems to have been forgotten by the majority of the populace.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
65 posts
4,560 battles
27 minutes ago, megadeux said:

This is extremely good advice. As a DM you are very vulnerable to these specialized bombers (They exist to kill you!) You should be in your fleet anyways, so that you can protect your allies against the CV. Unfortunately, since CVs are so rare, this lesson seems to have been forgotten by the majority of the populace.

But if you're with the fleet and not hugging an island, you get blapped by Battleship AP. It's a lose-lose, and Des Moines are supposed to excel at defending themselves from aircraft.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,418 posts
3,875 battles

Guess you'll just have to adapt and overcome.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
1 minute ago, NobleWhiteMan said:

But if you're with the fleet and not hugging an island, you get blapped by Battleship AP. It's a lose-lose, and Des Moines are supposed to excel at defending themselves from aircraft.

I'll admit I don't play des Moines, but I've seen plenty of Des Moines hugging islands inside of their fleet and protecting key regions. I don't think fleet cohesion and island hugging are mutually exclusive.

[DAKI]
Members
627 posts
6,383 battles
2 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Guess you'll just have to adapt and overcome.

so play worcester?

So defeat cancer with another form of cancer.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,418 posts
3,875 battles
1 minute ago, SuzutsukiKaiNi said:

so play worcester?

Or, you know, run an AA build on Des Moines.

"But, but, I don't run into carriers every game" is no excuse to whine when you get destroyed by a carrier when you do run into it and you're unprepared.

Also just enjoying the ironic justice of telling a cruiser main to do what cruiser and battleship mains have been telling destroyer mains to do for years.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

I mean I took 25k from Midway AP bombs with my Def Fire running and dodging with speed boost in a Martel yesterday.  RNG seems really good on those bombs.

Members
138 posts
20 minutes ago, SuzutsukiKaiNi said:

so play worcester?

that's what DD players have to do with every f&%#$ patch.

_

we adapt and overcome the next [edited] to make our lives harder and harder. 

if you get dropped by a CV in a des moines, you had bad luck or you were not paying attention that's all. 

a Hindenburg turns like a brick and either has def AA or hydro. Desmo can have both.

get over it or run AA build.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,583 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

I think the Des Moines has 30mm of weather deck armor, the main internal armor deck is 90mm. Any hits will also potentially go through the 16mm of the superstructure or through the turrets (which have 100mm roof thickness). I suspect there's other internal armor not seen in the viewer too. Basically what Reymu says.

This is a good thing! You see, battleships are overpopulated, so WG has rolled out AP dive bombs which wreck cruisers, especially as both the TB and DB are DFAA-worthy threats. This means there will be fewer cruisers. Fewer cruisers means more destroyers and thus in the WG circle of balance life those destroyers will reduce battleship populations!

Genius!

There shouldn't be any armor not in the viewer. Based on the drawings, WG have counted up to the splinter deck as citadel. The splinter deck is over 80mm and will arm the AP bombs.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

That 30 mm of deck armor is perfect for arming AP bombs. A simple way to check if your ship is vulnerable to AP bombs is to check if the thickness of the deck armor is equal to or greater than 30 mm. If it meets these requirements, congrats. You get to worry about AP bombs.

Even though the 30 mm won’t be enough to arm it alone, there are decks below the weather deck which combined, will have a great enough effective armor thickness to arm AP bombs. But the “30 mm” rule isn’t absolute. There are exceptions but I won’t go into that. 

Edited by Dictonary