Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LemonadeWarrior

Spotting Damage changes proposal

Spotting damage  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Spotting damage;

• Spotting damage should go to the nearest ship.
    • Spotting damage is fine like it is now.
    • I have a better idea, see my reply:

9 comments in this topic

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Spotting damage, how does it currently work. From patch update 0.7.4 I gathered the following information:
Damage dealt upon your spotting: means damage dealt by your teammates on targets you're spotting. Damage is credited only if you're spotting an enemy ship (i.e. you are within that ship's detection radius) that your teammate is dealing damage to, but is unable to spot themselves. In this case, the damage will be credited to all such "spotters" in full.

In my own experience when I spot an enemy the team will open fire and the enemy will return fire. At this point I lose my spotting damage in less than a second..., while it took some time and effort to get into the right position. Not to forget I have to stay in such a position to prevent the enemy from trying to get away and find him later on fully healed again… Often when done right it is rewarded by a win, but I feel like the effort vs payout is off. With the current mechanics just buffing the spotting rewards wouldn't work, but changing the mechanic might work for destroyers.

So what I suggest is that spotting damage adds up for the ship closest to the enemy. Perhaps it should be obligatory to be in the normal concealment range of battleships and cruisers before it starts adding up though.

Let me know what you guys think of this. I got this idea by an earlier thread regarding destroyer rewards.

Greetz Lemon

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

What if the spotting damage bonus lasted for a certain amount of time regardless of if the enemy fires or not? Perhaps this would still allow the spotting ship a bit more experience for forcing the enemy ship to open up.

Members
470 posts
12,442 battles

Doing your job and sinking the red ship should get you a reward to encourage repeat performances.

I would like to see spotting damage given to any ship that first spots an opponent. As long as that opponent remains spotted the original spotter should get credit, despite how many teammates can see it after the gun bloom takes effect.

If the opponent goes dark then the next ship to first spot them would start getting the credit. This would only happen if you hard spot the ship. If it voluntarily fires guns then the spotting was his choice and not your efforts.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

Spotting damage and rewards are next to useless when engaging enemy battleships -- you nail it exactly, they return fire and keep firing so long as they're lit.  This doesn't occur as often with destroyers and cruisers and each tick of damage done is worth more than that of a battleship (rewards are based upon the percentage of damage done, after all).  Destroyers earn the most from spotting, getting the equivalent experience for doing 40% of the damage dealt to a given target provided they are the sole ship giving vision to the blind ally.  This reward gets marginalized if there are multiple allies providing vision (if another ally can see, then they're only getting 20%.  If three other allies can see, then they're only getting 10%, etc).

There are ways for a destroyer to maximize spotting damage, but you must pick your battles.  If there are active aircraft carriers present, you're not going to earn as much.  If the action is close-ranged, you're not going to earn as much.  Much like capping, destroyers excel at collecting spotting damage during the opening phases and closing phases of a match. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
20 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Spotting damage and rewards are next to useless when engaging enemy battleships -- you nail it exactly, they return fire and keep firing so long as they're lit.  This doesn't occur as often with destroyers and cruisers and each tick of damage done is worth more than that of a battleship (rewards are based upon the percentage of damage done, after all).  Destroyers earn the most from spotting, getting the equivalent experience for doing 40% of the damage dealt to a given target provided they are the sole ship giving vision to the blind ally.  This reward gets marginalized if there are multiple allies providing vision (if another ally can see, then they're only getting 20%.  If three other allies can see, then they're only getting 10%, etc).

There are ways for a destroyer to maximize spotting damage, but you must pick your battles.  If there are active aircraft carriers present, you're not going to earn as much.  If the action is close-ranged, you're not going to earn as much.  Much like capping, destroyers excel at collecting spotting damage during the opening phases and closing phases of a match. 

I do not fully understand the second part. What is "much" when we speak about spotting damage? I got 88k once in my Chung Mu and I was proud on that number, which was just enough to be somewhere in the middle of the result screen.
When it is impossible, or not ideal, to cap in my destroyer I usually go spotting and torping. 

In my Zao I got 112k spotting damage without even trying... 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
21 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

What if the spotting damage bonus lasted for a certain amount of time regardless of if the enemy fires or not? Perhaps this would still allow the spotting ship a bit more experience for forcing the enemy ship to open up.

For, lets say, a minute?

20 hours ago, Prothall said:

Doing your job and sinking the red ship should get you a reward to encourage repeat performances.

I would like to see spotting damage given to any ship that first spots an opponent. As long as that opponent remains spotted the original spotter should get credit, despite how many teammates can see it after the gun bloom takes effect.

If the opponent goes dark then the next ship to first spot them would start getting the credit. This would only happen if you hard spot the ship. If it voluntarily fires guns then the spotting was his choice and not your efforts.

It is not always possible to sink the red ship, due torpedo spread, hydro or missing the entire ship. I do agree with what you are saying.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I do not fully understand the second part. What is "much" when we speak about spotting damage? I got 88k once in my Chung Mu and I was proud on that number, which was just enough to be somewhere in the middle of the result screen.
When it is impossible, or not ideal, to cap in my destroyer I usually go spotting and torping. 

In my Zao I got 112k spotting damage without even trying... 

The in game UI lists the raw damage you spotted for, but it doesn't tell you if anyone else was also spotting the same target(s) at the same time.  If multiple ships are spotting the same vessel as it takes damage, then the rewards are split evenly between them.  However, the UI and post-game results screens won't tell you how much of the spotting damage you did was compromised by other team mates also providing vision.  This can make big numbers look very misleading.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The in game UI lists the raw damage you spotted for, but it doesn't tell you if anyone else was also spotting the same target(s) at the same time.  If multiple ships are spotting the same vessel as it takes damage, then the rewards are split evenly between them.  However, the UI and post-game results screens won't tell you how much of the spotting damage you did was compromised by other team mates also providing vision.  This can make big numbers look very misleading.

Mmm okay interesting. Thank you LWM!

Beta Testers
1,410 posts
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, LemonadeWarrior said:

Spotting damage, how does it currently work. From patch update 0.7.4 I gathered the following information:
Damage dealt upon your spotting: means damage dealt by your teammates on targets you're spotting. Damage is credited only if you're spotting an enemy ship (i.e. you are within that ship's detection radius) that your teammate is dealing damage to, but is unable to spot themselves. In this case, the damage will be credited to all such "spotters" in full.

In my own experience when I spot an enemy the team will open fire and the enemy will return fire. At this point I lose my spotting damage in less than a second..., while it took some time and effort to get into the right position. Not to forget I have to stay in such a position to prevent the enemy from trying to get away and find him later on fully healed again… Often when done right it is rewarded by a win, but I feel like the effort vs payout is off. With the current mechanics just buffing the spotting rewards wouldn't work, but changing the mechanic might work for destroyers.

So what I suggest is that spotting damage adds up for the ship closest to the enemy. Perhaps it should be obligatory to be in the normal concealment range of battleships and cruisers before it starts adding up though.

Let me know what you guys think of this. I got this idea by an earlier thread regarding destroyer rewards.

Greetz Lemon

This has been suggested and pointed out for so long its outright silly.

A better solution would be to allow the ship spotting to 'flag' a single enemy target as 'being spotted by you'. Only ships you have LOS on and can spot & share data to team with can be flagged.  

You'd lose ownership of that 'spotting' flag the moment the ship leaves your detection (stealths up or LOS blocks it).

50% of all damage applied to that ship would be credited to you as if you were doing it as your reward.

Also, ships that are flagged 'spotted' receive a debuff that makes incoming shells have 3% better accuracy on them. This effectively removes signal bonus or some camo bonus off.

That way one ship can only spot ONE target at a time and of course, in order to 'claim' the spotted ship as yours you have to be the one that spots it first. It allows cruisers and DDs to team up and multi-spot.

Sign in to follow this