You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Hi Devs: Does the dynamic crosshair give lead time in seconds or ?

24 comments in this topic

[ARP3]
Members
415 posts
10,484 battles

Is the lead in seconds or some different unit? 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles

Lead in seconds for a target doing 30 knots or so.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
12,625 battles

@Cit_the_bed It gives the same shell flight time to the impact point for the range of the shot just the same as all of the other crosshairs. You have to determine your lead manually using the horizontal scale! If it gave any other info it would be a prohibited AIM ASSIST!

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles

I know there is a difference between static and dynamic but the ticks are based on a ship speed. Wanting to say dynamic is 30 and static is 20. So if the static is 20 knots and the shell travel time is 9s, if the ship travels 20 knots you give 9 ticks of lead. If the ship travels 30 knots you would give 13.5 ticks of lead.

[YORHA]
Members
3,338 posts

The answer to your question (and many more) are here...

In my opinion this video is not getting enough hype.  It has ready, quick and useful answers to about 1/2 of the questions that come up on the forums.

• Cool 2

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
41 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I know there is a difference between static and dynamic but the ticks are based on a ship speed. Wanting to say dynamic is 30 and static is 20. So if the static is 20 knots and the shell travel time is 9s, if the ship travels 20 knots you give 9 ticks of lead. If the ship travels 30 knots you would give 13.5 ticks of lead.

AFAIK, for dynamic, the distance between ticks changes according to zoom level, so you don't have to recalculate.

If you only shoot fully zoomed in, you won't see a difference.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,848 posts
13,067 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

AFAIK, for dynamic, the distance between ticks changes according to zoom level, so you don't have to recalculate.

If you only shoot fully zoomed in, you won't see a difference.

^^^this^^^

Sometimes I'm fully zoomed in on a fast moving DD.   I've already fired a few shots and have a good tic lead, but the lead is going off the screen.  I scroll back on my mouse one notch (zoom out one notch).  The dynamic crosshair maintains the tic/time ratio so I can continue to engage at the previously identified tic reference.

Note humans are capable of mentally adjusting the tic/time ratio regardless of the crosshair in use.  I've noticed I often don't even look at the numbers most of the time...I just know from experience what tic to use.  The same is true for players who don't use a dynamic crosshair.  Those players mentally (subconsciously, without thinking) make the tic/time adjustment. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles

With a target travelling broadside, in a straight line, at a speed of 30 knots, match the dynamic crosshair tick number against the shell flight time provided and you are guaranteed a hit.

The trick lies in adjusting for all the variables.

Members
126 posts
1,900 battles

Something to keep in mind is that the lead indicator is not linear and is not "calibrated for 30kts" as some say.  The dynamic indicator is true for about 30kts when at medium range and in the middle of the shell arc, you will need to adjust again for long distances and very close distances.

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,207 battles

For clarification...

Dynamic crosshairs:  At any zoom levels. Provided that target ship is moving at 30 knots; you use the lead time indicator as shown?

Variables to factor:

Ship speed?

Shell travel time?

Shell range per second?

I haven't used the Dynamic crosshair yet.

Members
156 posts
12,499 battles

The Dynamic Reticle/Crosshair's ticks are in "second intervals" which is re-scaled as one zooms in and out.  However, one can't rely solely on the number of ticks corresponding to shell flight time, even if the ship in question is traveling at 30 knots and is broadside. The range of the targeted ship is not taken into account by the dynamic reticle/crosshair (or any type of reticle/crosshair in WoWs).  e.g., if the amount of zoom is constant, and you switch back and forth between two different targets at different ranges, the horizontal distance between the reticle's ticks does not change.  (pretty sure about this, will re-confirm in the training room when I get a chance... will post pictures of the results)

So a reticle's ticks are not all that useful for longer or shorter range shots...  i.e., one will do better by mentally calculating how much distance the ship moves in about a second, and then figuring out how much to lead based on that one second travel distance and the shell flight time.  Overtime, it becomes more instinctual.

Members
156 posts
12,499 battles

Screen capture of Dynamic Crosshair/Reticle pointing at 15.22 km w/ designated target at 15.2 km.

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_EXAMPLE_01.thumb.png.0dd57d37762231dc0eaafbe4bf581d63.png

The composite image below shows a screen capture of Dynamic Crosshair/Reticle pointing at 17.56 km w/ designated target at 17.8 km, but with an "inset", marked by the 'grey box', which was copied from the above image and superimposed over a second screen capture image in order to demonstrate the spacing in between tick marks do not change with range.

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_EXAMPLE_02.thumb.png.63a35302b1f3373d236be4e7c9fad2d4.png

So, as others have also indicated, the dynamic reticle's tick marks represent the distance a 30 knot broadside traveling ship will travel in one second, but only at a specific range.

(will eventually update with images showing what the approximate range is... at least for the Massachusetts) [EDIT: see below]

Edited by ObnoxiousPotato
clarification

Members
156 posts
12,499 battles

following up on previous post...

Used Montana as target due to its top speed of 30 knots.  The mode is "standard battle", so I'm assuming the targets are traveling at or near top speed (EDIT: so that they can capture the base!)

Image below captures the moment when shots were fired.  The small vertical line was added to approximate where the shots should be centered if the reticle ticks are scaled for a 30 knot ship at ~14.9 km (i.e., the red line indicates the approximate position representing the 9.28 second shell travel time).

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_14.7_km_target_01.thumb.png.3e3989c8489913187360e97aab3b22a0.png

Image below captures when the shells began to arrive on target.  I'm thinking the reticle is scaled for a range greater than 14.9 km (assuming the target's speed is 30 kts).

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_14.7_km_target_02.thumb.png.8ab7eb08d48a6a0a3c70b1aa436dbc37.png

Another set of screen captures showing a target at ~16.47 km. 

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_16.2_km_target_01.thumb.png.076808d488a0999ef3bafb2f61dd10bc.png

DYNAMIC_RETICLE_16.2_km_target_02.thumb.png.cfaa668ea13e42350410ab9e3ec2ad0b.png

If the target's in question were actually traveling at 30 knots, then it appears the Dynamic Reticle is scaled to represent the distance a 30 knot ship will travel when its range is some where in the neighborhood of 15 to 16 km.... but the results I got are not all that conclusive.

EDIT: Also, the range at which the "ticks on the dynamic crosshair/reticle will correspond to shell travel time" can vary from ship to ship as well as between HE and AP shells due to ballistic differences.  So at best, my results indicate: For AP shells fired from the Massachusetts, the range at which the Dynamic Crosshair/Reticle is calibrated appears to be between 15 to 16 km.

Edited by ObnoxiousPotato
clarification

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

I asked once about the dynamic site and this was the answer in regards to aiming

forget shell flight times

There only 3 numbers you really need to know

All ships sailing broadside at full speed (this is T8 and up)

DD = 11 up to 15 depending on which type of DD

CA = 9 - 10

BB = 7- 8

These figures are simply a starting point, but you will get shots on target

Also you put the intersecting number on the part of the ship you want your shells to hit

For instance using a Nikolai in T4, all T4 BB I can put the number 5 under the front turrets and score good damage

For IJN and Russian CA's I can put them on 10

DD I hold on 10 - 11

• Cool 1

Members
156 posts
12,499 battles
34 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I asked once about the dynamic site and this was the answer in regards to aiming

forget shell flight times

Assuming a target is traveling in a straight line, the shell flight time, target speed, and range to target are the primary variables here... 

and I counted a whole lot more numbers than just 3! :P

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
3 hours ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

Assuming a target is traveling in a straight line, the shell flight time, target speed, and range to target are the primary variables here... 

and I counted a whole lot more numbers than just 3! :P

Well the actual short answer is 7, 10, 12, this does away with shell flight times, and makes aiming quicker

Members
156 posts
12,499 battles
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Well the actual short answer is 7, 10, 12, this does away with shell flight times, and makes aiming quicker

I have to point out that the 7 tick lead (or the 7 or 8 tick lead) for Tier 8-10 BBs which you are recommending is *NOT* consistent with what I observed and captured in the above screen shots.  However, targets are not always traveling at "full speed", so subtracting 2 or 3 ticks as a general rule may get you in the ball park, but not always...  as what I captured above clearly illustrates.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
7 hours ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

I have to point out that the 7 tick lead (or the 7 or 8 tick lead) for Tier 8-10 BBs which you are recommending is *NOT* consistent with what I observed and captured in the above screen shots.  However, targets are not always traveling at "full speed", so subtracting 2 or 3 ticks as a general rule may get you in the ball park, but not always...  as what I captured above clearly illustrates.

This was a general rule of thumb to get on target when I first went to use the dynamic cross hair, I have found that once I know the ship I am using and the ship I am aiming at I can determine where I should hold on the target.

I don't bother with the seconds of flight time anymore, but it has come down to practice.  

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,053 battles

One of the rather nasty cute tricks I've done a bit of lately in my IJN DD's is backing away at a slight angle... it's difficult to tell when a DD is reversing while in a bow or stern on aspect unless you know what to look for.

But yea, the dynamic sight is mil marked for 1 second intervals for a 30 knot target.  You have to apply a little kentucky windage on target move forward, or moving off, and more or less depending on the target's current speed.  That is really a matter of experience more than anything else and it's not what you would call easy to learn , but it can be learned.  And as always, the further the target the greater the dispersion.. and it's not the horizontal dispersion that messes you up, but the vertical dispersion (shots Over, or Under).

Some very good vids including the wargaming vids that break it down.. They're an entertaining view and you'll learn something.   Just remember good aim is learned.. and there will always be those bizarre freaks of nature types the snap a shot off without really aiming at all  ( I hate them I do!, even when I'm the one pulling off that kind of shooting... not common but ya know some days yer just.. "on")

Beta Testers
2,123 posts
3,620 battles
On 7/18/2018 at 4:53 AM, Cit_the_bed said:

Is the lead in seconds or some different unit? 

its wrong anyway, just turn on detailed info for the shell lead time.

Alpha Tester
3,461 posts
3,871 battles

AFAIK, the dynamic crosshair is not actually calibrated for anything at all. It's just an arbitrary graphic that is scaled to counteract the effects of zoom levels. Te issue with saying it's "calibrated for seconds with a target at 30 kts" is that the ticks on the crosshair do not represent distance. They represent angle, and the amount of distance they represent changes with range. Simple trigonometry.

For a practical experiment, use a ship with slow shells(USN DD, North Carolina, etc) at very close range(less than 5km). Even with slow shells, you should observe flight time of only a couple of seconds- but if you give only a couple of ticks of lead, your salvo will fall behind the aim-point.

There is a modded sight that shows lines of constant distance, and therefore which an be used directly with the shell flight time, but I don't hear people talking about it much.