You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
A_Crying_Hipster

Is it more important to you to win or maximize damage?

Is it more important to win or maximize damage?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Win vs damage

79 comments in this topic

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Just curious when you go into a match do you focus more one way or the other. Yes you can argue, "Maximizing damage increases your win rate, so the answer is 'both,'" but speaking from a mindset standpoint, do you prioritize your strategy toward one or the other? For example, if you like cycling fires on everything or drilling a BB until it's dead, or more inclined to target and shoot at whichever ship is closest, you're more damage focused. If you think about holding fire and staying invisible to spot for your team, or as a CV you don't always auto-retract your empty planes, but instead leave them hovering over an enemy DD to keep him lit, you're more win focused.

This is not a right or wrong. You put 12 damage focused players on a team that are actually good at racking up big damage numbers and they will just as easily win against 12 win-minded players who aren't as good at doing damage. Player skill will still be the underlying factor determining who wins.

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,736 battles

Insert "Why not both?" meme here.

On a more serious remark, it very much depends on ship type, game mode, and my mindset.
If I'm play North Carolina in ranked, sorry for damage, I'm going for that win.

If I'm having a bad bad day, it's about time things go my way,
Burning down what ever I see, oh~
Kutuzov for me.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,069 posts
9,492 battles

Win

Win

Win some more

Win again

• Cool 1

Members
1,640 posts
7,476 battles

I focus on damage dealing in almost all my games. I focus on making that damage cause wins.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,125 posts
14,528 battles

Winning is everything.  A great performance on a losing team is still getting a loser's reward.

Damage isn't everything.  Farming a bunch of HE + Fire damage off BBs with 90-100k HP is less important than doing 30k damage on Destroyers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

[DENY]
Members
344 posts
4,732 battles

The higher damage game I gets is mostly on loss were the team is just garbage , that even if I try to carry I can't , as long I get a good game I don't care much about win , 

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,280 posts
5,864 battles

Frankly in the ships I play if I'm not causing mass damage I'm probably contributing to a loss. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,217 battles

Win

I don't mind if my damage out put isn't optimal, though I do try not to ignore it either; but the win is by far more important.

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,957 battles

Winning is more important. I don't care how we win but as long as we get the good end result, fine by me,

[_EASY]
Members
33 posts
4,011 battles

In order of importance to me.

First: To win

Second: I stay alive

Third:  Damage done

Forth:  Number of ships sunk

In no particular order: Caps, Planes shot down, etc....

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,968 battles

I would rather have a 0 damage win than a 200k loss.

• Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles

If you promote good play, as in trying to win, your team will eventually have the upper hand, allowing you(unless you were badly positioned, and in this case, you probably didn't contribute much anyway) to do more dmg.

Unfortunately, not every player wants or cares enough to contribute toward the win. So many times have I seen ships that go off on their own or just dmg farm. They don't prioritize ships, have poor map skills, don't coordinate, and/or don't understand the steps toward combined action leading to a win.

[XG]
Members
121 posts
2,939 battles

Neither. I play for fun. Plus bacon. :Smile_teethhappy:

It's a team game, so win/lose factors are distributed. Trying to "carry" a sack of potatoes holds no allure.

Damage is often, but not always the most fun. Out-foxing, frustrating, and annoying the opposition is fun. If that takes the form of capping, spotting, or blasting, so be it.

I play for fun, not for stats.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

It's not more important that I win, it's more important that the "team" I'm on wins. If that means I have to change my playstyle for a match, sacrificing damage/xp/even credits, so be it.

It's not that I'm a stat monger by any means, but it's the spirit of competition.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,871 posts
12,622 battles

Last time I checked there is still no I in Team!

[TDRB]
Members
1,109 posts
4,215 battles

Top priorities for battle

1) Not screw up

2) stay alive

3) score hits on the ships I'm targeting

4) increase my damage

I believe if I do these things the wins will come.

• Cool 1

[GN_BR]
Members
127 posts
4,707 battles

Wins are the point of playing a game. I have no problem sacrificing my ship to push another ship out of a strong position or stop a flank. Sure my epeen, I mean my damage numbers, may suffer that game but if it secures the win it is worth it.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
4 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Just curious when you go into a match do you focus more one way or the other. Yes you can argue, "Maximizing damage increases your win rate, so the answer is 'both,'" but speaking from a mindset standpoint, do you prioritize your strategy toward one or the other? For example, if you like cycling fires on everything or drilling a BB until it's dead, or more inclined to target and shoot at whichever ship is closest, you're more damage focused. If you think about holding fire and staying invisible to spot for your team, or as a CV you don't always auto-retract your empty planes, but instead leave them hovering over an enemy DD to keep him lit, you're more win focused.

This is not a right or wrong. You put 12 damage focused players on a team that are actually good at racking up big damage numbers and they will just as easily win against 12 win-minded players who aren't as good at doing damage. Player skill will still be the underlying factor determining who wins.

The examples you list are too broad and do little to support your thesis. As a BB, anyone NOT hammering the red boats--and tanking damage for the little guys--is neither damage focused nor win focused. If you are gonna lob examples like that you need to make them type specific, rather than a gameplay assessment.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,058 posts
3,928 battles
22 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Last time I checked there is still no I in Team!

But as you see in sooo many randoms, there is most certainly a 'me' in team. If only we could get more game related incentive to play as a team instead of 24 muggles often treating WoWS as a SP game....

Edited by BBsquid

[REVY]
Members
953 posts
7,518 battles

Max Damage sinks ships, more sunken ships on red team equals victory for my team

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,418 battles

In fairness the 2 goals stated are not mutually exclusive, one certainly does feed the other but I smell what you cookin. 

For me winning is more important than how much damage I do. As a CA main I will contest capping DDs, pressure BBs & brawl other CAs as needed. IMO that is what playing to win looks like. In the alternative I could hang back staying hidden lobbing HE. I think thats what playing to do damage looks like. 

[INTEL]
Members
654 posts
7,564 battles

Win

I drive IJN destroyers quite a bit so there are plenty of games where damage is low but I felt like I contributed to the win by spotting, area denial, capping and turning ships broadside to my team.  There's a lot of ways to contribute to a win that does not result in a lot of damage.  Then there are games where I try to do all of the above, get really high damage...and lose.

Members
4,825 posts
5,596 battles

While I like getting large damage totals, I would rather win a game with a lower amount of damage than lose a game with a ton of damage. Both can be equally frustrating, but losing is a bit more frustrating than winning with a small damage total.

Members
2,125 posts

No both option... :Smile_facepalm:

Guess your not allowed to hold 1 extra cap and farm too? 

I do both all the time. 100k+ games is the norm for me, with a 19% cap and 19% defend rate.  Doing the work of 2 people is hard.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,871 posts
12,622 battles

@BBsquid Lately I have seen a few random teams actually work together very well in fact almost like they all knew each other and had pre planned their actions. Of course most of the time I was not on that team and we got our butts handed to us. But the few times I was placed in a team like that just following their lead to victory was a beautiful thing!

• Cool 1