You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

Newb confused

67 comments in this topic

Members
112 posts
887 battles

So I'm quite new to the game and hoping you guys could clear up a few things that baffle me a bit. Why is it in every battle there's at least one ship that scuttles to the edge of the map and doesn't do anything? Is there some benefit to not taking part in the fray at all? Another thing is when you have to capture multiple area. Why does everyone go in little groups and separate? Wouldn't it be smarter to bring a mob to each area and capture them with force of numbers? I'm sorta figuring everything else out but I'm just not seeing any strategy put forth by teams at this point.

• Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
3 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

So I'm quite new to the game and hoping you guys could clear up a few things that baffle me a bit. Why is it in every battle there's at least one ship that scuttles to the edge of the map and doesn't do anything? Is there some benefit to not taking part in the fray at all? Another thing is when you have to capture multiple area. Why does everyone go in little groups and separate? Wouldn't it be smarter to bring a mob to each area and capture them with force of numbers? I'm sorta figuring everything else out but I'm just not seeing any strategy put forth by teams at this point.

children-this-is-bait-27681081.png

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

They divide up into smaller groups to attacks multiple caps at the same time and also to avoid going in a lemming line where the entire or a vast majority of a team goes to one flank, leaving the other flank exposed which allows the enemy team to flank them. And when that happens, the game is already lost for the team that lemming’ed.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,429 posts
9,564 battles

No advantage to the map edge in most cases. If you are kiteing away and run out of room then it can throw of the enemy aim a bit and is actually very helpful dodging torps but it is generally better to avoid it.

Map control is a big part of the game Ideally focusing on two out of the three caps is a good play, typically select two that are adjacent. 

Check out Notser, Ichase, and Flamu on youtube for help

• Cool 1

Members
112 posts
887 battles
8 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

Hmmm I have seen bots to do this...

Not a bot dude. Legit new guy trying to learn the ropes.

15 minutes ago, Dictonary said:

They divide up into smaller groups to attacks multiple caps at the same time and also to avoid going in a lemming line where the entire or a vast majority of a team goes to one flank, leaving the other flank exposed which allows the enemy team to flank them. And when that happens, the game is already lost for the team that lemming’ed.

The problem with this that I've seen, {in my very  limited experience) is that one of those little groups always runs into a bigger group. gets decimated, and the numbers advantage goes to the opponents. When you need to capture 3 areas, everyone seems to send 3 or 4 to each area. If you sent a bigger group, you could pound a minimally guarded area and move to the next one. what am I missing here.

Members
855 posts
3,597 battles

The lemming train can work sometimes, certainly if your team rolls hard and kills the enemies at the cap they are attacking. 

What normally happens though is that the team with numbers that is lemming training still manages to lose more people due to bad positioning and with the flank exposed, they soon find themselves taking fire on both sides and doomed to a bad loss. 

Edited by Slumlord_Cheeto

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

Half the team is supposed to go to one cap and the other half goes to the other cap that is perferably next to the first. There is going to be a flank where our team has the advantage, and there will be the flank where our team is weakest. This is why teams usually capture caps that are adjacent so that allies on one side of the map can move in to support the other relatively quickly.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
8 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

People like to come up with various reasons for scuttling to the edge. The only one I can think of that would have value, would be for a DD to flank and attack from the side or back. To go and stay on the edge of the map, won't do your team any good and there is no benefit to not attacking.

As others have said, splitting up to attack two adjacent caps is a good strategy. You tend to have enough numbers to take a cap and if you can take and hold two caps, your win chance goes up. By attacking two adjacent caps, you can move to support each other.

Here is a good place to start on a guide to the game.

Youtubers like iChase, Notser, URPeacekeeper, NoZoupforYou, & Lord Zath have good info on ships and how the game works.

If you end up wanting to spend money on ships, LittleWhiteMouse (LWM) has great reviews on premium ships. There are sales on one ship a day until Jul 27th. I would recommend with staying with low tier ships for now, if you decide to spend money as the learning curve can be steep as you go up the tiers. Spending money on the game is entirely up to you. Premium ships can help you progress faster as they will make a little more silver & XP (as well as captain retraining - see hangglides guides above about captains), but they are generally not better than tech tree ships. You can play this game without ever spending a dime, you just have to grind some more.

You are account level 6 right now and at account level 7, you will get captains to train for your ships. There is lots of advice for how to build a captain and hangglides guides along with the youtubers can help.

Here is what you get access to at each account level.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

The wiki has lots of good info. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

For now you can play in co-op (PvE) battles, those battles where it was people vs :bots:. You also have random battles (PvP) vs people which you seem to have done the most of. Both are viable modes, but you earn more XP & silver in PvP and can earn achievements which give flags. PvE is easier as you are playing vs bots, so you earn less silver & XP and can not earn achievements. Most PvP mains will stay in PvP as the play styles in each are different, but will test out a new ship in PvE so that they can see how the guns fire, torp angles, etc, etc. If you want to be a PvP main, I suggest playing mostly in PvP and using PvE to get used to ships and maybe grind out stock modules if the stock ship is poor in PvP.

I do suggest popping back into PvE when you get your first Tier 5 ship. Up to tier 4, you will only see one tier above you as a red ship. At tier 5, that changes to two tiers above you, i.e. a tier 5 ship can be in battle with a bunch of tier 7 ships. I recommend playing in co-op for that first tier 5, so you can get used to the idea of playing bots two tiers above you. Bots are a little more forgiving of mistakes, where players and sink you fast if they have a ship two tiers above you if you make a mistake. Once you are comfortable playing vs bots as bottom tier, then go back to PvP to learn to be bottom tier vs players.

6 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

The problem with this that I've seen, {in my very  limited experience) is that one of those little groups always runs into a bigger group. gets decimated, and the numbers advantage goes to the opponents. When you need to capture 3 areas, everyone seems to send 3 or 4 to each area. If you sent a bigger group, you could pound a minimally guarded area and move to the next one. what am I missing here.

Yeah, most teams as you get up in tiers, will try to capture two caps. Sometimes you get a team with no leader and everyone wanders around on their own. Unless you have divisions on your side, most people will only loosely comply with a plan.

Welcome to the game. o7   Good Luck and Fair Seas (GL&FS)

• Cool 4

[PSP]
Members
6,315 posts
8,937 battles
12 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

View them all. Some are a bit dated but generally they will give you good info.

Members
112 posts
887 battles

Great advice folks. Appreciate it. Basically no strategy until I go up in tiers, lol. I guess that's to be expected. Thanks KizarvexisThat tier 5 beating probably would have hurt my feelings among other things. Learning lots. Again, appreciated.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
301 posts
9,855 battles
46 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

So, you have twenty battles and you're on the forums already?

Interesting.

17793287_10211255411034567_1751641602_n.

Members
112 posts
887 battles
1 minute ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Interesting.

17793287_10211255411034567_1751641602_n.

25 now. And why is that interesting? I had questions. Seems like a logical place to get them answered. Or is there an unwritten quota of battles before burdening  you with my unworthy presence?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
4 minutes ago, Dolphin48 said:

Great advice folks. Appreciate it. Basically no strategy until I go up in tiers, lol. I guess that's to be expected. Thanks KizarvexisThat tier 5 beating probably would have hurt my feelings among other things. Learning lots. Again, appreciated

You are welcome.

People here are generally helpful. There are a few trolls who like to bash people, but they stay under their bridges mostly. Coming and ranting about something in game will get you some salt. Asking questions, almost always gets answers. Varied answers as one of the things I like about this game as there is no one way to skin the cat. There are various methods of play and I find all the different styles fun.

2 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Interesting.

Well, the forum tab is right there on the home page. I had not done too many battles before I found the forum in 2016. Not every newbie is a veteran playing coming back under another name to troll.

Just now, Dolphin48 said:

25 now. And why is that interesting? I had questions. Seems like a logical place to get them answered. Or is there an unwritten quota of battles before burdening  you with my unworthy presence?

Recently, some veterans have been creating new accounts to troll people. There will be some suspicion at first until you reveal that you are not a troll. Sorry about that.

Members
112 posts
887 battles

No need to apologize. I'm new to the game but not to forums. And creating a new account simply to troll people indicates a need for a hobby in my opinion.

• Funny 2

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
301 posts
9,855 battles
39 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Recently, some veterans have been creating new accounts to troll people. There will be some suspicion at first until you reveal that you are not a troll. Sorry about that.

Bingo.

It's pretty rare to see brand new players actually use common sense to read the forums and ask questions. Kudos for the OP in doing so. 

Good luck in your matches.

• Cool 2

Members
855 posts
3,597 battles

This game is a game of learning, you are always learning. So much skill is wrapped up in decision making ability. Aiming is the easy part, the real skill involves positioning, when to fire, when to cap, when to push up ect...

Members
112 posts
887 battles
4 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Bingo.

It's pretty rare to see brand new players actually use common sense to read the forums and ask questions. Kudos for the OP in doing so. 

Good luck in your matches.

Well 23 losses and 7 wins in random. Needless to say I wouldn't have been put in charge of a fleet back in the day, lol

Members
3,805 posts
14,103 battles
1 hour ago, Dictonary said:

Let's not confuse the OP now! If the team all rushes to one part of the map and loses, it's a "lemming train". If the team all rush to one part of the map and win, it's "sound tactics".

Members
112 posts
887 battles
Just now, ReddNekk said:

Let's not confuse the OP now! If the team all rushes to one part of the map and loses, it's a "lemming train". If the team all rush to one part of the map and win, it's "sound tactics".

Touche. I think I'm gonna be a little frustrated with the random running around until I get the experience to join a clan. Communication and sound tactics are key after all.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,414 battles
1 hour ago, Dolphin48 said:

Why is it in every battle there's at least one ship that scuttles to the edge of the map and doesn't do anything? Is there some benefit to not taking part in the fray at all?

Some brains are Abbie Normal.  Some players are scared to death of taking damage.  Apparently it's better to live and lose than it is to die a glorious and winning death.

Another thing is when you have to capture multiple area. Why does everyone go in little groups and separate? Wouldn't it be smarter to bring a mob to each area and capture them with force of numbers? I'm sorta figuring everything else out but I'm just not seeing any strategy put forth by teams at this point.

It's not an illegitimate thought, but it leads to the notorious Lemming Train phenomenon.  I'll let someone else describe that.  In many matches the "grab one as a group and move on" leads to grabbing one and the enemy grabbing two.  Points deficit -> loss.

Welcome, btw.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

You generally see this at the end of a loss and it's people who think they can save their [edited]stats at the expense of everyone else's time.

Members
112 posts
887 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Some brains are Abbie Normal.  Some players are scared to death of taking damage.  Apparently it's better to live and lose than it is to die a glorious and winning death.

It's not an illegitimate thought, but it leads to the notorious Lemming Train phenomenon.  I'll let someone else describe that.  In many matches the "grab one as a group and move on" leads to grabbing one and the enemy grabbing two.  Points deficit -> loss.

Welcome, btw.

I think I get the lemming train. But if you swarmed a cap, decimated the 3 or 4 there, and moved on right away leaving one ship behind to capture, wouldn't that work? a couple of DD's could wreak  havok with torps if everyone was clustered I guess. Oh well. I bow to the wisdom of experience.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,414 battles

A DD spotted is a DD that is quickly wrecked. 

What tier Randoms are you playing?  What ship line?