Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STOGGYRETURNS

Losing Motivation

55 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
263 posts
11,146 battles

How do you all bounce back when the game wears on you? Been having a hard time finding motivation to play. My favorite ships feel more like work then entertainment. 

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,604 posts
3,753 battles

I normally play and finish some single player game in my steam library. In the meantime I read up on the game, new additions and changes that may attract me. Then I play a few battles to see for myself. If Im interested I stay, if not I go back to step 1. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Hey look! It's sort of a "I'm quitting" thread! :cap_happy:

• Funny 1
  • Bad 5

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I took a week off and came here to the forums everyday till I got motivated to return and see the B.S. Live

• Bad 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,240 posts
14,670 battles

You take breaks from the game or change things up.

From December 2015, I took around a 6 month break, came back.  I've taken days, weeks, even a 1 month break here and there despite returning.  I was doing other things, playing other games.  Either that, or drastically change your mode of play or something.  I have about as much battles as you.  Practically all of it is Randoms.  But about a month or so ago, I had just gotten tired of it all in PVP and have been relaxing a bit in Co-op and Operations.  I'm careful though about staying there exclusively because I caught myself with some bad habits creeping in, which means big trouble in PVP :Smile_teethhappy:  I ran into people I know in the boards in Co-op asking me what the hell I was doing in there instead of PVP.  "Are you alright?" :Smile_popcorn:

Kind of like "familiarity breeds contempt."  Sometimes you need to get away for a bit, do something differently, then come back fresh.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,247 posts
7,273 battles

Clan Battles are all the motivation I need. The struggle of it... the camaraderie it builds... the elation of success and the frustration of failures.

Rando's are a boring/relaxing interlude between seasons. And for getting legendary mods.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

If I get annoyed or salty enough, I go on hiatus for a bit.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,475 posts
4,321 battles

Grab your favourite Tier 2 ship from days of yore and jump into co-op.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Watch some u tube after 1 game, read the forums, read other things, have another game, go play another game, do some gardening, so many things you can do.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
11 minutes ago, STOGGYRETURNS said:

How do you all bounce back when the game wears on you? Been having a hard time finding motivation to play. My favorite ships feel more like work then entertainment. 

I stop playing the game for a while and play another game.  If I play one game too long I get burned out.  I don't like getting burned out.  Or I go outside and work on my other projects.

[SYN]
Members
4,550 posts
11,437 battles
11 minutes ago, STOGGYRETURNS said:

When you're not motivated to play, don't play.

Come back and play when you're motivated again.

[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,081 battles

Stop playing for a time.

Played some other games that are wildly different (eg Warframe) and then something will eventually pull me back into the game.

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
Just now, Kuckoo said:

When you're not motivated to play, don't play.

Come back and play when you're motivated again.

Yeah I hear that. 

Just now, Jumarka said:

Stop playing for a time.

Played some other games that are wildly different (eg Warframe) and then something will eventually pull me back into the game.

Yeah maybe it is time to go "build a colony" or get some RTS gameplay in. Something.... I am not feeling anything new out. it is all franchise crap or perma incomplete. So I'll have to go old school. 

Members
2,515 posts
5,500 battles

Some games are just too much of a struggle so theres no fun.   And sometimes its just MM and RNG working against you at that time.  Maybe the alighnment of the starts....

When that happens I get my Dresden with 12 pt captain and pound away and usually win top place most of the time.  It's even funnier when MM creates a battle of 4x4 for a quick meal so to speak!

WOWs is a game where you love it or hate it depending on the outcome and expectation at that time.  Lapse of time helps then get back into it. 

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
8 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Clan Battles are all the motivation I need. The struggle of it... the camaraderie it builds... the elation of success and the frustration of failures.

Rando's are a boring/relaxing interlude between seasons. And for getting legendary mods.

Not me mate!! Has been a total s**t show and my clan wants nothing to do with it. So abroad I will have to look if I wish for entertainment again. This game isn't changing anytime soon :)  

[LTNY]
Members
335 posts
4,081 battles
1 minute ago, STOGGYRETURNS said:

Yeah maybe it is time to go "build a colony" or get some RTS gameplay in. Something.... I am not feeling anything new out. it is all franchise crap or perma incomplete. So I'll have to go old school. 

I took the time off to explore some old games that never had the chance of playing.

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
8 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Watch some u tube after 1 game, read the forums, read other things, have another game, go play another game, do some gardening, so many things you can do.

Been doing that a lot lately. I am disabled so actually that list is very limited for me. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
2 minutes ago, STOGGYRETURNS said:

Been doing that a lot lately. I am disabled so actually that list is very limited for me. 

If you haven't done so watch The Expanse, or Colony or Salvation

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
20 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Hey look! It's sort of a "I'm quitting" thread! :cap_happy:

More of a "I need new ways to look at this game" to have a desire to play it. I am 35 now not 15. Motivation to game doesn't come as naturally as it used to. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, STOGGYRETURNS said:

More of a "I need new ways to look at this game" to have a desire to play it. I am 35 now 15. Motivation to game doesn't come as naturally as it used to. 

Pretty much

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

If you haven't done so watch The Expanse, or Colony or Salvation

I'm more into satirical comedy. When other people complain about their problems in such a flamboyant way it makes me think less about my own physical issues. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
18 minutes ago, STOGGYRETURNS said:

From the Steam Summer Sale (I already have a huge back log of games but here are some I've actually been playing):

Slay the Spire, I usually don't buy early access games but it's really addictive.

X-COM 2 War of the Chosen expansion (it's basically a new game and awesome).

Halcyon 6: Lightspeed edition. Basically Star Trek meets FTL meets Masters of Orion kindof

Hunniepop but I already [edited] most of the girls so nearly completed (Mirror and Hell Girls were better).

Prime World Defenders, highly underrated and abandoned tower defense/card game

Others but less so ...

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

From the Steam Summer Sale (I already have a huge back log of games but here are some I've actually been playing):

Slay the Spire, I usually don't buy early access games but it's really addictive.

X-COM 2 War of the Chosen expansion (it's basically a new game and awesome).

Halcyon 6: Lightspeed edition. Basically Star Trek meets FTL meets Masters of Orion kindof

Hunniepop but I already [edited] most of the girls so nearly completed (Mirror and Hell Girls were better).

Prime World Defenders, highly underrated and abandoned tower defense/card game

Others but less so ...

It has been ages since I checked out the steam store. Mostly cause of the early release trend being so FUBAR but I'll give it a good looking over to see if I can find something to float my boat. 

[WOLF4]
Members
918 posts
2,457 battles

Binge on Netflix. Get the Humble bundle monthly ( cheap subscription for bundles of monthly games)

I find i have to take a break from playing this game and do something else otherwise it feels punishing. Specially solo matches in randoms lately, i do however keep coming back. I run OPS to grind ships and avoid burning out.

Edited by xalmgrey

Sign in to follow this