You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
td193616

LFC to help me get better at the game

6 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
Members
3 posts
1,089 battles

I am looking for a clan to help me get better at the game,i have ~400 battles and my highest tier ship is 7 prem and 6 in the tech tree,I'm on 3-5 days a week playing till i get bored or frustrated. I have both ts and discord.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,237 battles

OK Pay attention, almost everyone on this forum will help you get better. There are dozens of videos on youtube and in the forum which can help you get better.

But if your win rate is anywhere between 45-55% you are in the norm. But you need to be able to field for most clans a Fully out fitted T10, not a rental which you need to qualify to get.

If you like and see me, division up as I cannot make you worse than you are. We at Sea Wolves made a video for recruiting below.

Look at the reviews on the forum and tips for one line and work that one line(like IJN dds) to at least T8 before throwing in the towel.

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

td193616 - I hate to be discouraging, but don't expect a clan to make you better. At almost exactly your progress point in the game, I made that mistake. After four or five months of diligent play with a clan, including discord attendance almost every night, my stats (Win Rate and related stats) actually went down, rather than up. It wasn't a bad clan, as clan's go - it was fairly well organized, and its leadership was trained in one of the finest leadership programs in the world - the U.S.Army officer corps.

There are many reasons for my decline, and your mileage may vary. In general, though, clans don't have 24x7 instructors on call. At the very least, check and make sure that their well-regarded instructors play at the same time you do, and have the time to "take on" new students. Even then, the chance that your instructor has any professional background in educational methods is poor. Most instructors are volunteers, and more than a few do it for personal ego gratification. I would be amazed and pleasantly surprised if any WoWS clan instructor knew about learning styles (i.e., the three primary categories - visual, auditory, kinesthetic). I would be bowled over if a clan had an instructor with an MA in education, put together lesson plans, and used evaluation techniques to improve their practices as a teacher. In other words, the people responsible for educating America's children are significantly "better" at teaching than anything a clan can offer.

In short, I discovered that I had create my own educational program in WoWS. Written material is very thin. On these forums, the various posts by "Little White Mouse" (LWM) can be informative. For definitive ships stats in the game, you can check out the official wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships. Unfortunately, World of Tanks and World of Warplanes is mixed into that same wiki, making the search feature of limited use.  

Among video streamers, I found that these well-regarded ones were generally good: IChase, Flamu, Notser, and NoZoupForYou, as well as Wargaming.net's own channel of instructional videos (https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/). Before taking any new ship into battle, I watched one or more videos about the ship. This helped me understand my ship's place in the game at those tiers. Always bear in mind that the game has changed over the years, and therefore specific recommendations in any video may be out of date.

Finally and most importantly, after each battle I conducted an AAR (after action review) of my ship and our side in the battle. I sometimes watched the some of the battle after I was sunk, to understand something about how the rest of my team had performed. Experience is a good teacher only if you spend the time to learn from it. In my AARs, I concentrated on what I could have done to

•  Increase our chance of victory.
  •  Stay alive, with attention to any unwise choices that sank me.
  •  Inflict more damage on the enemy, with special attention to lost opportunities.

Following this program, I've found that my stats are slowly rising. I only wish I'd started this at the 400 battle mark, like you. By waiting until 1,000 battles, I have the "dead weight" of my past failures slowing down any increase in my stats, which can be discouraging. I suggest using "Warships Today" for viewing stats, since it shows more recent stats compared to earlier stats.

• Cool 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

Well, I did join a clan and did improve my stats from potato to decent. I can say my clan helped me to improve my techinque but your clan can only do half of the legwork. You have to put to use the skills and tactics learned from your clan. Practice makes perfect. 

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

Dictonary - HOW did your clan help you?  Was it sailing in clan battles?  A specific instructor?  Being required to learn something, from somewhere?

I noticed that CUTIE is the mid-level clan in your organization, with a T10 ships and 50% WR required to join. Both the O.P. and myself lack those credentials. Neither of us could join CUTIE.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
Just now, Yasha said:

Dictonary - HOW did your clan help you?  Was it sailing in clan battles?  A specific instructor?  Being required to learn something, from somewhere?

I noticed that CUTIE is the mid-level clan in your organization, with a T10 ships and 50% WR required to join. Both the O.P. and myself lack those credentials. Neither of us could join CUTIE.

I actually joined their system of clans before CUTIE was formed when there was only CUTE. I techincally got a free pass as I didn’t have a Tier X at the time. So I divved up with guys from what is now the modern CUTE clans and CUTER clans. It was trial and error and learning from what my div mates done. Also, iChase’s videos helped a lot. Beyond that, it is just knowing what your clanmates do that works.