You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #106: Nueve de Julio

112 comments in this topic

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

British Heal. That’s a gimmick if I have ever seen one.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,815 battles

aK3pMmE.gif

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
327 posts
9,525 battles

Helena with a heal, no others ship in it's line, Mehbote............probably sell like hotcakes 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

Why is it slower than it was historically? What is the actual reason for making it slow?

• Cool 1

Members
4,840 posts
5,599 battles

I really want WG to take Boise and modify it to turn her into USS Honolulu. There'd at least be some differences between the two both visually(WG could model Honolulu in her pre-1943 refit where she retained the original look of the Brooklyn-class) and stat wise. I think her history is pretty interesting given that she survived quite a few brutal naval engagements relatively unscathed, including the very battle where Helena sunk.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,136 posts
7,663 battles
6 minutes ago, PointyHairedJedi said:

I have touched the rat's nest.  Someone had to, right...?

Anyway. Informative as always!

The title of your video was deliciously scathing, PHJ.  It's times like these I'm glad I leave out the history of ships in my reviews short for a sentence or two under "collectors'.

21 minutes ago, xgamerms999 said:

Did I miss something about Haida and Salem?

I caught all of the differences between Haida and her final test version (as Cossack) before the review was published.  The amount of sleuthing I had to do was pretty extensive though.  For Salem, however, I was blindsided by her premium camouflage.  Throughout testing, she had a type 10 camouflage identical to what you might find on a tier 6 premium.  When concerns were raised with Wargaming about the economical impacts this would have on Salem's earning potential, I was assured that this was by design.  While her camouflage may change later, they said, this was the final version of the ship.

Well, 'later' ended up being immediately upon release.  Without access to Salem when the patch went live, I was caught unawares of the difference until rumours trickled down through social media channels.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
9,056 posts

Well written once more, thank you lwm.

2Va1hn1.gif

Edited by RipNuN2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,008 posts
7,530 battles

I'm sorry, WG, but a cruiser in a MM bracket where even the BB's are as fast or faster than she is, where she barely has more range than the DD's she sees, it appeals to me not at all.

Now, I'm sure many will get her, as she will be one of very few PanAm ships to make it into the game. My issue with this is that during the primary time period in which this game takes place, she was serving in the USN, so giving her the Argentinian designation seems...off. More, since there will be so few PanAm ships in the game, making at least the first one decent, to me, would have been a good idea. It feels like WG just slapped all their Latin American players right across the face.

ATL, to me, appears to be a far better ship: Almost the same range if one uses AFT, a MUCH better RoF, better concealment, better speed, better rudder, and she has radar.

I'm left with the feeling that WG did pretty much everything wrong with this ship.

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

Thanks for the review Miss Mouse, always entertaining. For some reason I believe that if the release isn't simultaneous for Boise and Nueve, the sales of the latter may influence the stats of the former. The modelling is done anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to do so.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,487 posts
2,439 battles

Upbote just for the Boise editorial.  Way to go, Mousie.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,239 posts
9,038 battles

At least DD Captains will be delighted that this ship lacks Radar, at least until they get hit with a could broadside sales from this ship. Lol lots of main guns and equipped with Hydro makes for fun DD hunting. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,826 posts
10,383 battles

My enjoyment of the review is the perfect inverse of my interest in the ship!

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

I'll buy her. Then go "...Are we the bad guys?" every time I take her out.

There's also a chance she could still get buffed later on, after 2-3 months of data. Moreso if those buffs happen to be the exact same ones they would put on Boise when it's her turn to go on sale. My guess? Probably adding 1kt of speed and -1s off the main gun reload. Still a bit sluggish, but her firepower is also a bit higher.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles
5 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I'll buy her. Then go "...Are we the bad guys?" every time I take her out.

There's also a chance she could still get buffed later on, after 2-3 months of data. Moreso if those buffs happen to be the exact same ones they would put on Boise when it's her turn to go on sale. My guess? Probably adding 1kt of speed and -1s off the main gun reload. Still a bit sluggish, but her firepower is also a bit higher.

Hah, reminded me of this from Mitchell and Webb show

8ubGFLt.gif.d4d3dae728130ad1000288b038b0bad2.gif

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,217 posts
14,630 battles

The range issue is a pretty big concern, IMO, far more than anything else.

Perth at Tier VI has 12.81km gun range which really isn't good at all.  It's only feasible playing that gun range when her creeping smoke is available and someone is spotting for you.  Otherwise, playing at such ranges even in Tier VI is suicide.  NdJ is in Tier VII with slightly improved gun range of 13.51km and no smoke.  I'm sure it's funny getting 12 HE pens on Tier V-VI ships, but the Tier VIII-IX threats are very dangerous.  13.51km is wholly inadequate.  People have commented problems with Helena's range, but it's actually at 14.56km, a whole km more than NdJ.

She will encounter BBs with Secondaries Range floating near the 11km ballpark, BBs that can keep pace with her, or even realistically overtake her.  A kiting Cruiser is maneuvering and thus bleeds speed.  So the charging BB like Bismarck, Alsace, Missouri will close the range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
282 posts
1,874 battles

Would you say playing her is....torture?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 3

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles
38 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I really want WG to take Boise and modify it to turn her into USS Honolulu. There'd at least be some differences between the two both visually(WG could model Honolulu in her pre-1943 refit where she retained the original look of the Brooklyn-class) and stat wise. I think her history is pretty interesting given that she survived quite a few brutal naval engagements relatively unscathed, including the very battle where Helena sunk.

WG doesn't change models this late in development though; much less when they're practically finalized for release. Boise was an opportunity for them; clone her and re-code for Pan American. Same reason why Nueve isn't Belgrano instead (different superstructure and AA setup).

It'd be a different story if WG modeled Phoenix and cross-marketed General Belgrano instead.

It just so happens that both Boise and Nueve have more "history" to them, even if one of them is somewhat sinister.

Still, it's not going to stop players from buying them, and proclaiming "The Mobile Gulag is here!" or some other black humor.

I feel she could use at least a 14.5 to 15km base range; even if she can't hit that far, she can start lobbing shells on ships that refuse to change direction, overconfident in running her down to sink her. That or Atlanta's radar, just so that she can play more like Atlanta, just not as spammy.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I will probably feel bad for anyone who plays this ship

Members
2,129 posts
4 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

I will probably feel bad for anyone who plays this ship

I would play it. Nice ship IMO.

• Bad 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,815 battles
Just now, MorbidGamer said:

Would suggest these commander skills.

5YOlPph.png

Survival Expert is suspect for a cruiser at that tier. Not saying it's a bad choice, just that I think if you do the math you'll have a higher gain from superintendent's extra heal - at least most of the time. For the rest, I agree.

• Cool 1