Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cynder_TheDragon

I need some help

16 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
357 battles

Im somewhat new to the game , I got 2 tier 5 tanks but still new in my book lol , so I recently gotten the Zuiho tier 5 Japanese Carrier and I have no idea what skills I should be putting on my commander. I have tried to read some forums but I got completely lost with all the short form abbreviations to the skills people were mentioning

• Cool 1

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,160 battles

by "tanks" I assume you mean "ships"

if you want advice on carrier play, I suggest you look on youtube for Femmennenly, iChase or Farazelleth's channels. They made some pretty good videos on CV play.  Also, keep in mind that entire CV mechanics will be changed "soon" due to carrier rework, so it might not be wise to invest too much effort into CV lines since the entire class will be changed "soon"

[HYDRO]
Members
1,556 posts
3,751 battles
12 minutes ago, Cynder_TheDragon said:

Im somewhat new to the game , I got 2 tier 5 tanks but still new in my book lol , 

Are you perchance coming from WoT ? :Smile_teethhappy:.

Aside from checking vids, on the wiki page of each ship there is a collapsible  Recommended Commander Skills section. Its not always 100% correct but can give you a few pointers.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I have videos of battles if you want to watch what I do. My tactics and my Ryujo skills/upgrades are in my signiature.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,182 battles

Carriers are not a very new-player friendly line to play; they require a lot of attention and care with multitasking several squadrons at once. You need to learn what ships AA you need to be wary of and be able to know the ranges of their AA auras while at the same time setting up cross drops preferably on enemy DDs and still spotting for your team, all while also dodging enemy CV fighters and random catapult planes. At T6 and up you'll need to learn manual drops and strafes in the realm of DFAA, all while usually farming reports from salty scrubs and being berated by your team for not living up to their standards. 
I would personally recommend you play some other lines first like Destroyers of Cruisers in order to get a feel for everything else in the game before trying to play carriers. Concealment, aiming, etc etc. In the process of learning these mechanics you will also learn anti CV tactics and then when you learn those you will learn ways to also counter them while you're playing a CV yourself. DDs and CAs are not particularly easy ships to play, especially at the later tiers and honestly because of that you're better off using them to learn the game and get better, because thats really what they force you to do. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
6 minutes ago, BunnyDestroyerShimakaze said:

Carriers are not a very new-player friendly line to play; they require a lot of attention and care with multitasking several squadrons at once. You need to learn what ships AA you need to be wary of and be able to know the ranges of their AA auras while at the same time setting up cross drops preferably on enemy DDs and still spotting for your team, all while also dodging enemy CV fighters and random catapult planes. At T6 and up you'll need to learn manual drops and strafes in the realm of DFAA, all while usually farming reports from salty scrubs and being berated by your team for not living up to their standards. 
I would personally recommend you play some other lines first like Destroyers of Cruisers in order to get a feel for everything else in the game before trying to play carriers. Concealment, aiming, etc etc. In the process of learning these mechanics you will also learn anti CV tactics and then when you learn those you will learn ways to also counter them while you're playing a CV yourself. DDs and CAs are not particularly easy ships to play, especially at the later tiers and honestly because of that you're better off using them to learn the game and get better, because thats really what they force you to do. 

I have high standards because I am a CV. Not many players get up there but if they do, they get a compliment and encouragement. Or if I am just salty, I just don't say anything.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,399 battles
3 minutes ago, BunnyDestroyerShimakaze said:

all while usually farming reports from salty scrubs and being berated by your team for not living up to their standards. 

It amazes me how many "CV eggspurts" are in randoms that will tell the CV he isnt doing his job right. Then again the same could be said for all classes. Its always the dead guys that are going to tell you how you should be fighting your ship. 

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,182 battles
1 minute ago, MizzenMast said:

It amazes me how many "CV eggspurts" are in randoms that will tell the CV he isnt doing his job right. Then again the same could be said for all classes. Its always the dead guys that are going to tell you how you should be fighting your ship. 

Pretty much. I was once told that I dont know how to play DDs by a Kidd who used a heal after bumping into a friendly for about 10 HP and the promptly suicided via DM and Moskva for first blood. I looked the guy up and sure enough, 70 overall games played with 6 of those being DD games, 4 of those being in Umikaze and the other 2 being Kidd. Rest were all T1-2 ships

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
30 minutes ago, MizzenMast said:

I'm one of them because we will never know who is good at what. Fubuki telling CV what do do? Ignore.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
1 hour ago, Cynder_TheDragon said:

Im somewhat new to the game , I got 2 tier 5 tanks but still new in my book lol , so I recently gotten the Zuiho tier 5 Japanese Carrier and I have no idea what skills I should be putting on my commander. I have tried to read some forums but I got completely lost with all the short form abbreviations to the skills people were mentioning

In my opinion, CVs should never be one of the first lines you attempt to grind.  They take a lot of time to learn, and you have to have a good amount of game sense.  Not to mention the absolutely massive skill gap and skill curve, but that's a conversation for a different topic.  

If I was going to recommend lines to you, I'd recommend grinding up the IJN CA (Japanese Cruisers) line, the USN or KM DD (United States or German Destroyer) line, or the KM BB (German Battleship) line.  These are all pretty noob friendly lines that will help you learn the game, and they're all pretty good ships too.

Speaking directly to your question though, like others have said, many good youtubers have a series on this.  Fem and Farazelleth are the two best that come to mind though.  

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,399 battles
8 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I'm one of them because we will never know who is good at what. Fubuki telling CV what do do? Ignore.

I try not to say anything unless I see something egregious. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, MizzenMast said:

I try not to say anything unless I see something egregious. 

I have high expectations based on how I myself play. I got plenty of videos to showcase that.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,399 battles
8 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I have high expectations based on how I myself play. I got plenty of videos to showcase that.

Projecting your personal expectations on another is a sure fire recipe for disappointment. My expectation is that they dont suck, anything above that is a bonus :Smile_teethhappy:

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, MizzenMast said:

Projecting your personal expectations on another is a sure fire recipe for disappointment. My expectation is that they dont suck, anything above that is a bonus :Smile_teethhappy:

Pretty much, main things I look for:

• Willing to move
  • Willing to cap
  • Willing to fight
  • Constantly shadows my allies
  • Does not take my bait
  • Other stuff

Sign in to follow this