You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
lonesome45

Why Do I Get So Many Bounces?

13 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
15 posts
8,239 battles

I have been playing my Montana in clan wars and have been frustrated by the lack of damage I have inflicted. My aim is decent as I get plenty of hits, but a typical salvo results in 2-4 bounces, an occasional shatter and maybe an overpen or two for minimal damage. I have seen as many as six bounces on one salvo. The bounces happen more against BB's, of course, but I also see way too many against CA's. Normal pens with no damage seem to happen regularly as well. I realize angling affects the result, but I get also a lot of bounces when the opponent is close to broadside. I must be doing something wrong because I see other BB's getting plenty of damage against me even when I am angled. I have seen the videos on armor and damage, but it doesn't help much in my own play.

So how can I deal more damage?

Edited by lonesome45

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

I find:

Aim for the superstructure if they're not broadside.

If they're bow on, shoot at the superstructure.

If they're broadside, shoot at waterline.

The reason you're getting penetrations and no damage is because you are hitting a module (ex. turret) which has a certain amount of HP till it gets incapacitated or destroyed.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Rpkscout1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles

Just nail down your aim and account for the angle of the course of the enemy ship down to the millimeter. Precision is needed. Or a LOL pen Yamato. Anyways, take your time to aim.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
1 minute ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I find:

Aim for the superstructure if they're not broadside.

If they're bow on, us HE.

If they're broadside, shoot at waterline.

The reason you're getting penetrations and no damage is because you are hitting a module (ex. turret) which has a certain amount of HP till it gets incapacitated or destroyed.

Hope this helps!

Using HE on Montana. No.

If they are not broadside, either wait untill they are or wait until they are bow on if 1. You can overmatch their bow and 2. They are close enough to hit. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles

I think it is obvious that the OP hasn't sacrificed a virgin to RNGesus. :Smile_hiding:

[MOH]
Members
239 posts
1,255 battles

I often start games firing HE in my Montana.  After playing many games where I was doing absolutely nadda in the first opening stages (where everyone is lobbing shells at super long range at each other), I decided to switch to HE for more consistency.  You definitely can get massive citadels using AP at 20km+, but it's very uncommon.  I find that, while the HE shells don't do the huge damage that AP shells do, they do have a higher shell velocity and are easier to hit things with.  There is also more surface area on a ship at that range that takes damage from HE rounds than there is AP.  After all, some damage is better than no damage.  As games progress and fighting distances narrow a bit, I switch to AP.  After doing this, I noticed my average damage going up.

Not saying HE is the way to go with the Montana, but for some very specific situations, it's a more reliable path to take. 

[IW]
Members
14 posts
7,385 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, Ranari said:

I often start games firing HE in my Montana.  After playing many games where I was doing absolutely nadda in the first opening stages (where everyone is lobbing shells at super long range at each other), I decided to switch to HE for more consistency.  You definitely can get massive citadels using AP at 20km+, but it's very uncommon.  I find that, while the HE shells don't do the huge damage that AP shells do, they do have a higher shell velocity and are easier to hit things with.  There is also more surface area on a ship at that range that takes damage from HE rounds than there is AP.  After all, some damage is better than no damage.  As games progress and fighting distances narrow a bit, I switch to AP.  After doing this, I noticed my average damage going up.

Not saying HE is the way to go with the Montana, but for some very specific situations, it's a more reliable path to take. 

I for one, applaud you sir for using HE in a BB. And you have some sound advice there as well as I have the same experience with the accuracy part. 

Usually, my teammates and some REDs will give me all kinds of hell for using HE, but it can be the better choice at the right time. 

I'm wondering, do you think using HE when shooting at a bow facing ship is a good idea? Many times, when facing bow-to-bow, AP doesn't seem to inflict much damage. At least HE would cause a fire. Thanks!

Members
180 posts
7,777 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, Ranari said:

I only recommend keeping HE loaded in Montana when Halsey or John Doe is commanding her. Otherwise you lose the ability to wreck "pop up" cruisers who overextend early.  Numerous times I've found myself lining up an HE salvo against a bow-on Kurfurst 20km when a Minotaur appears out of nowhere. Without that 7 second ammo switch I'd be giving up the chance to bag an easy 2-4 citadels in those situations. 

[MOH]
Members
239 posts
1,255 battles
9 hours ago, TimmyGuy said:

I for one, applaud you sir for using HE in a BB. And you have some sound advice there as well as I have the same experience with the accuracy part. 

Usually, my teammates and some REDs will give me all kinds of hell for using HE, but it can be the better choice at the right time. 

I'm wondering, do you think using HE when shooting at a bow facing ship is a good idea? Many times, when facing bow-to-bow, AP doesn't seem to inflict much damage. At least HE would cause a fire. Thanks!

It depends on the ship.  If it's a bow facing cruiser, then AP all the way, as your shells will overmatch its bow plating.  If it's a bow facing BB, then you can go either way.  HE + fires will always do more reliable damage from the front, but it's the AP shells that, with good aim, can disable their main battery. 

As the above poster stated though, using AP exclusively will always give the BB player the advantage of being in a ready position when someone gives broadside. 

Members
1,542 posts
8,187 battles

Hey

It comes down to changes to the game.  I was in my GK during clan battles and shot a broadside Minotaur at about 6 km and couldn't kill it with 2 salvos' of 420's, nothing but overpens and limited very damage.  In times past that would have been a instant deletion.  We can talk all day about RNG but I think there has been other game manipulations at work to BB AP values.  How many times have you hit a cruiser broadside and got a "penetration" citadel but it only took maybe 25% of their health at best.  It happens all the time these days, more ricochets, broken shells and gun caliber doesn't seem to be the issue.  I had a game last night where I had 8 420mm hits for Zero damage (he slightly angled some but thought I could pen his bow or his superstructure but no), and of course it was on a cruiser with less than 1200 HP at the end of a clan battle, and yet just before that at the same range I citadel'd a Montana and got 2 pens and thought I should be able to take out the cruiser that much easier.  If it was RNG; then it's getting far more random than every before.  I have even seen a night and day difference on my Hindy with dealing damage versus talking damage on this last patch, almost to the point of being garbage at times. 

Pete

[WSP]
Beta Testers
73 posts
2,857 battles

I definitely agree that something weird seems to be going on with Montana's AP. I have had to many volleys against other Battleships that appeared to be perfectly broadsided that either bounce off or overpen, most notably a game recently I broadsided a Lion at 9k and got 7 overpens and 2 bounces. Later in a different game, cleared my guns ap at a DD 6k away, 3 bounces. He wasn't targeting me and I was able to finish him with HE on my next salvo but yeah, Im starting to see why folks shoot exclusively HE from any type of bb now if only due to sheer frustration with the bizzare behavior of their AP.