You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Getting the Advantage

12 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,964 battles

image.png

*pictured - USMC TBF Avenger launching from USS Hollandia in support of US Marines on Okinawa on April 3, 1945*

How do you get the upper hand during the battle?

I always try to seek out and counter the enemy destroyer or cruiser attempting to cap or secure the objective.

Eliminating a enemy destroyer limits their ability to detect and engage my team thus giving us an advantage.

What's your tip to turn the tide of battle in your favor?

"A good leader recognizes good suggestions regardless of rank or billet. To ignore feedback and advice is a demonstration of incompetence." - Kurt Chew-Een Lee, US Marine Corps

#tacticaltiptuesday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
  • My Ryujo's Dive Bombers are my teams eyes, they spot and shadow the enemy
  • My Torpedo Bombers target the enemy Destroyers as fast and safely as possible
  • My willingness to move has saved me from numerous Destroyers and CV Snipers
  • Intel and speed is everything
Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 3

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

Target ships that are the biggest counter to whats left of my team.

If my team has lots of DDs, kill the cruisers,

If my team is full of cruisers, kill the BBs.

If my team is full of BBs, kill HE spamming cruisers and DDs.

etc.

Edited by Sir_Orrin
  • Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

How I like to give the advantage in CVs:

Start off by contesting the skies over the more centrally located caps that are difficult to take. It'll give your destroyers an opportunity to take it early, and keep their destroyers from taking it early. After a few minutes, ships will be in place to take over that role.

Then it's on to hunt destroyers near caps we are contesting/spotting destroyers further away from caps.

After that, it's working to give a firepower advantage to as many engagements as possible.

The larger force probably doesn't need my bombers, but a fighter will spot, and provide air cover. Then the smaller force will get bomber support, prioritizing the ship types that are the biggest threat to that force.

That full health battleship on the A line may be a juicy target, but it's not going to hurt anyone, so it gets ignored until it's time to mop up.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles

I target the smallest boats first and I call them out for my team when I see them getting cheeky.

After that I like to take advantage of enemy yolo rushes and weak flanks.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

If im on flank i like to cap first if I can. Then if I have too give up the cap go to harrassing and try to retake the cap tying up enemy forces. While the rest of the team drives on other caps. 

Another tactic i like to do as a DD Captain is get to a spot were i can spot hodden target letting the cruisers and BBs blast away while staying hidden. Yes I like to play crafty :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[ARP]
Members
63 posts
1,678 battles

Fairly simple.

- Aim better than your opponent (especially for BB's), being able to delete/punish broadside (that means you need to patiently hold your shot until you have the perfect shot) ships on a constant basis will get your team the advantage.

I have been playing this game for 3 years now and I hate playing BB's for the sole reason that my aim is crap.

- Position yourself better than the enemy team.

The game is slow paced so position/zone denial is a very good way to gain the advantage of the enemy team. Pick a solid spot depending on what ship you're playing and already start thinking ahead on what your next position will be if you have to bail or push.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,639 battles

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/us/maj-kurt-chew-een-lee-daring-marine-who-fought-chinese-in-korea-dies-at-88.html

More on the man from the quote @Gneisenau013 quoted. 

--

Every few weeks, I go through aiming exercise: Go into training room against unarmed bots (half moving, half not) and practice different angles of shot aiming with my BBs. My DD fire seems fine when my computer doesn't lag (Someone please fix this for Macs in 7.6!!) so regular life time-allotment makes it impractical to do aim training exercises for DDs. 

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,964 battles
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/us/maj-kurt-chew-een-lee-daring-marine-who-fought-chinese-in-korea-dies-at-88.html

More on the man from the quote @Gneisenau013 quoted. 

--

Every few weeks, I go through aiming exercise: Go into training room against unarmed bots (half moving, half not) and practice different angles of shot aiming with my BBs. My DD fire seems fine when my computer doesn't lag (Someone please fix this for Macs in 7.6!!) so regular life time-allotment makes it impractical to do aim training exercises for DDs. 

I read about him when I was going through the Platoon Leader's Course. His tactic of using a smaller force to mimic a larger one is still practiced at the Marine Corps School of Infantry both at Camp Pendleton, CA and Camp Lejeune, NC.

I had the honor of meeting him 7 years ago during a train ride in California. He said he trained his Marines hard and tough not because he had something to prove, but because he wanted 2 things out of them:

1. Complete the mission

2. Go home alive

He passed away a few years ago in Washington, DC.

#1stMarineDivision

#semperfidelis

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 2

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Semper Fi. I read about him recently , the Corps breeds leaders who think and innovate, add motivation and you have adapt and overcome. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,430 posts
12,053 battles

I apologize that this was not on a Tuesday.

Destroyer Captains.

I drive IJN DD's

Stealthiness is both a strength and a weakness.  To be able to cause surprise you will expose yourself to the same.

You fight at the edge of your torpedo and gun range, Not your detection range.  That is for scouting and spotting NOT fighting.  It can be a useful envelope for bullying other ships with torpedo spreads out of a cap, but it is not without a hearty amount of risk, that only increases as you climb the tiers.   Take your risky moves with all consideration.

Just as smoke works in both directions.  Avoid blocking friendly LOS with your smoke.  And smoke is really a lousy place for a DD to hide.  Islands work much better.  

Consider always the road less travelled.  Try one of those torp heavy no smoke builds, or one of high gun range, low concealment and high endurance beasts.  Or a hybrid that your comfortable with.   If for no other reason that it will throw the opposition off when what should have just happened, didn't.  Doing the unexpected is a DD's stock and trade.

Those army guys have an old saying, a good scout is a dead scout.  So be cautious first.  Once you have a picture of position and situation, that when you can go pick a fight. 

And last but not least.  Your the guy in the DD, not a sacrificial victim. You're out there to do your part to win the match.  Do your part but learn when to back it off, and when to not.  If you go out and die at least make sure it was your call. Still it is a Destroyer's job, a warships job to go in harm's way.

See you  out there.

Warlord sends

Of Topic note:  The Avatar image is my Aethertech from NC Softs Aion. Her name is Bittena, and she earned a general rank 5 on the NA Servers.  Arena PVP was fun, but we did war with several hundred players per side.  There's only a limited number of generals of each rank, I had 4 peers, It was good times.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
271 posts
1,792 battles

If you want to win the game you gotta put more points on the board than the other team.