You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

I've been running a few experiments in game with the disabled chat box and...

44 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

So for the past week or so I've been running some of my own experiments having my chat box completely disabled via Aslains Mod pack.  This is what I've learned.

Pros:

1.  No distraction of texts on the screen

2. Karma Increases depending on your game play and how well you do

3. You are less likely to argue with your team

4.  You yourself are less likely to be labeled as toxic whether you are defending yourself or not

5. The utter silence is absolutely wonderful

6.  Less chance of getting chat banned or even the random chat ban

7. NO F KEY SPAM

Cons:

1.  You don't get the information on where the team is going

2. Someone may report you just for not responding to them in the chat box

3. Division chat is useless in the game if you are divisioned

4. Karma decreases because someone reports you for not responding in chat

5. Less Chat entertainment

6. When new patches come out you have to re install the mod

So take this as is or don't.  But I actually have been finding that with the less distraction of the in game chat, I've been playing better.  I know what I need to do in my role as a destroyer and I don't need someone telling me to do what I need to do or demanding that I do what I need to do.  There is less risk of yourself getting chat banned for defending yourself or if you're just an all around well yea in the chat.  So there is less risk for yourself and less risk for others.  The temptation is just blocked out entirely.  Yes there are cons to having the chat box disabled.  But for myself I actually find it to be the best way.  Yes there is the function built into the game of closing it out.  But I get annoyed with having to hit the X to lock the chat every match and even with hitting the X I still see F KEY SPAM.  With Aslains I don't see any of that.  Anyways I think I'll keep the chat disabled mod on.  Cheers.

Edited by torpsRus
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I didn't hear you

Edited by Vangm94
  • Funny 8
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,225 posts
8,474 battles

You're going to get hammered with a bunch of posts slamming you for daring to disable chat because of all the "superior" tactical information you are missing.

......Which I find a bit ironic because the really good players (Unicum level and perhaps one level lower) are either silent in battle, or say little and at most ping the map once or twice to get their point across.

So, what remains is a bunch of mediocre stat insecure geek losers that are angry I'm not listening to their superior tactical information when they can't remember to put a straw in the bag. During the day I have to listen to the rants of project managers, account reps, CEOs and other nonsense through E-mails accounts, and whining millenials asking me how to fix a SQL or VMware issue  who insist on skyping me vs E-mail because of their need for immediate attention. So, the ability to disable chat and enjoy the game on my terms is my own business. 

I'll now get a bunch of angry replies from people with colorful anime' girls as avatars criticizing me, and trust me, their credibility is even less in my world. One thing WoT has going for it is the ability to silence all this stuff permenantly.

Obviously if you are in a division you need to communicate because that's, well, part of the point.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,541 posts
3,751 battles
12 minutes ago, Scotty_SE said:

I'll now get a bunch of angry replies from people with colorful anime' girls as avatars criticizing me, and trust me, their credibility is even less in my world. One thing WoT has going for it is the ability to silence all this stuff permenantly.

Is this response colourful enough ? :Smile_great:

• Funny 3

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Is this response colourful enough ? :Smile_great:

Nope and frankly it's not changing my mind either.

• Funny 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,602 posts
5,147 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

Nope and frankly it's not changing my mind either.

frank and his little brother frankly very rarely change anybody's mind.

how do you disable chat? I forgot....

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Spud_butt said:

frank and his little brother frankly very rarely change anybody's mind.

how do you disable chat? I forgot....

There are two ways of doing it

1 in the game just below the chat box there is an X just select that before or during the match and it will disable it. 2 In Aslains mod pack you can download the chat disable mod.  Under the Chat Mods Section.  The disable chat feature will completely remove it from your screen.  

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,034 posts

I've been running a few experiments in game with the disabled chat box and...

"

"

• Bad 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,602 posts
5,147 battles
2 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

There are two ways of doing it

1 in the game just below the chat box there is an X just select that before or during the match and it will disable it. 2 In Aslains mod pack you can download the chat disable mod.  Under the Chat Mods Section.  The disable chat feature will completely remove it from your screen.  

thank you. the vast majority of the really good players don't use battle chat anymore. it's getting to be a major distraction at best.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, Spud_butt said:

thank you. the vast majority of the really good players don't use battle chat anymore. it's getting to be a major distraction at best.

Its just a distraction to your game

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Once you have done it for awhile {Chat Blocked} You learn the most important aspect of it.

It isn't necessary to Play the Game.

If you ever turn it back on you can get some great Laughs with it becoming a distraction.

The ability to have it ON and not responding to the "COLORFUL"  Is instilled by the conditioning of turning it OFF.

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
1,602 posts
5,147 battles
1 minute ago, torpsRus said:

Its just a distraction to your game

of course, duh, how could I be playing anybody else's game?

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
13 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

This is how I see my screen with Aslains Mod pack

shot-18.07.17_10.43.00-0281.jpg

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,938 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

So for the past week or so I've been running some of my own experiments having my chat box completely disabled via Aslains Mod pack.  This is what I've learned.

Pros:

1.  No distraction of texts on the screen

3. You are less likely to argue with your team

4.  You yourself are less likely to be labeled as toxic whether you are defending yourself or not

5. The utter silence is absolutely wonderful

6.  Less chance of getting chat banned or even the random chat ban

7. NO F KEY SPAM

Cons:

1.  You don't get the information on where the team is going

2. Someone may report you just for not responding to them in the chat box

3. Division chat is useless in the game if you are divisioned

4. Karma decreases because someone reports you for not responding in chat

5. Less Chat entertainment

6. When new patches come out you have to re install the mod

So take this as is or don't.  But I actually have been finding that with the less distraction of the in game chat, I've been playing better.  I know what I need to do in my role as a destroyer and I don't need someone telling me to do what I need to do or demanding that I do what I need to do.  There is less risk of yourself getting chat banned for defending yourself or if you're just an all around well yea in the chat.  So there is less risk for yourself and less risk for others.  The temptation is just blocked out entirely.  Yes there are cons to having the chat box disabled.  But for myself I actually find it to be the best way.  Yes there is the function built into the game of closing it out.  But I get annoyed with having to hit the X to lock the chat every match and even with hitting the X I still see F KEY SPAM.  With Aslains I don't see any of that.  Anyways I think I'll keep the chat disabled mod on.  Cheers.

You left out that Karma will never increase because someone found you helpful in chat and that karma decreases may not be avoided because you explained what was happening to someone who misunderstood your actions.   You left out that, you don't just not get information about where the team is going, you also don't get information about unfolding situations.

The truth is, there is zero chance of being chat banned because you have the chat on.  The only risk comes from choosing to respond and/or how you choose to respond.  If you choose to care what some random idiot on the internet says, the problem is not the chat box.  So with all due respect, what you are saying is that you are choosing to forego receiving what could turn out to be important information to the outcome of the match because you cannot ignore unimportant information.  You are also choosing to not improve the community by leading by example with positive use of chat and letting the toxic win.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Sotaudi said:

You left out that Karma will never increase because someone found you helpful in chat and that karma decreases may not happen because you explained what was happening to someone who misunderstood your actions.   You left out that you don't just not get information about where the team is going, you also don't get information about unfolding situations.

The truth is, there is zero chance of being chat banned because you have the chat on.  The only risk comes from choosing to respond and/or how you choose to respond.  If you choose to care what some random idiot on the internet says, the problem is not the chat box.  So with all due respect, what you are saying is that you are choosing to forego receiving what could turn out to be important information to the outcome of the match because you cannot ignore unimportant information.  You are also choosing to not improve the community by leading by example with positive use of chat and letting the toxic win.

I just find it better to have it completely disabled.  There's less risk to myself and less risk to everybody else.  I will be honest I can be a complete well yea in chat depending on the situation. So I find it better just to not have it at all.

Members
825 posts
2,634 battles
1 hour ago, torpsRus said:

Pros:

You do realize that karma would increase because of your play regardless of chat right? You could have chat on, do well, be helpful etc & still get upped karma.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, DeathLord1969 said:

You do realize that karma would increase because of your play regardless of chat right? You could have chat on, do well, be helpful etc & still get upped karma.

Yes I realize that but read previous statements.  I actually prefer not having the distraction of the chat box.

Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,938 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

I just find it better to have it completely disabled.  There's less risk to myself and less risk to everybody else.  I will be honest I can be a complete well yea in chat depending on the situation. So I find it better just to not have it at all.

I fully support your choice if that is what makes the game better for you, especially if you find it hard not to respond in kind.  We have all been there.  I just disagree that this is the best solution.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, Sotaudi said:

I fully support your choice if that is what makes the game better for you, especially if you find it hard not to respond in kind.  We have all been there.  I just disagree that this is the best solution.

Yea sometimes I do find it hard to respond kindly especially if the other player is well being not so kind.  Its just safer that way.  Lol I don't need chat bans neither does the other player.  So disabled is better for me in the long run.  Not only that I actually play a lot better with out having the distraction.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles

I do not ever watch chat when I am playing but I wouldn't mind removing the chat box to prevent me from being toxic to a player who might have made a honest mistake.

• Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I do not ever watch chat when I am playing but I wouldn't mind removing the chat box to prevent me from being toxic to a player who might have made a honest mistake.

That's why I have it completely disabled.  The only downfall is when the next patch comes out I'll have to wait for the mod pack to be updated lol.  Only downfall.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
9 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

Not to mention it also helps me out especially if I'm recording there wouldn't be a need to censor out the chat later on when I edit my videos.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,387 posts
3,875 battles
1 hour ago, Scotty_SE said:

To the contrary-- if it works for you than by all means take advantage of it. I might try this myself, just to see if the salt levels decrease.

Most good players communicate through third party systems like Discord anyway.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,821 battles
17 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

That's why I have it completely disabled.  The only downfall is when the next patch comes out I'll have to wait for the mod pack to be updated lol.  Only downfall.

I am hard wired uber competitive. If I were an NFL player I would rather play for a team for $500,000 than make 30,000,000 on a team that will win 4 games all year. I have made a massive effort at self control and living by the motto if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. However sometimes someone will do or say something so stupid I will react and say something toxic....but I am working on it. 

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
6 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

To the contrary-- if it works for you than by all means take advantage of it. I might try this myself, just to see if the salt levels decrease.

Most good players communicate through third party systems like Discord anyway.

It does decrease quite a bit gives you far less headaches.