You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

You Can Buy Salem (Kind of but not really)

58 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,081 battles

Before reading, this is very unrealistic and not suggested but it is some interesting math on the new event. The Arsenal currency is not being sold, it is a byproduct of an event that gives you coins to use in this one case. I was scrolling through reddit and saw a post on this and haven’t seen it on the forums yet. So here goes. 

Spoiler

You can buy coal! (Kind of) You can purchase the team containers to get tokens to use on containers which contain 450 coal. I think this is the first time it has been purchaseable indirectly as a byproduct (or at all). You can purchase containers in the premium store which give you 20 tokens each. These can be used in the Arsenal to get 4 containers which contain 450 coal each. So if you need 133 containers to end up with 239,400 coal. So if the prices are between $3-$5 per container, you’re looking at $399-$665 in order to purchase the Salem if you start with 0 coal. Now of course you would end up with a minimum of 1,596 special flags plus 532 more special flags plus 2,660 of each standard economy flags. 

So you would end up with 2,128 special flags, 2,660 of each standard economy flag, and the Salem. All for around $399-$665 If the containers cost between $3-$5 each. 

I think the math is right but I could’ve missed something. This post and math is all from my phone. 

Again, very unrealistic but funny for me to look at. I guess you’d be set with flags for a while...

[TASH]
Members
1,766 posts
4,004 battles

The Salem perma camo in this event is better than the base camo she comes with! 

Keep that in mind too.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,397 battles

I thought Salem was available for steel not coal....

That said.... $500 for a ship?  Umm.... no thanks!

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

Members
1,154 posts
3,146 battles
Just now, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

I thought Salem was available for steel not coal....

No, it's coal, 240,000. 

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

If the event permacamo came with a 100% bonus FXP I could see some people considering making such a move. As it is now, I think most will  just go the slow, free route.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,149 posts
3,665 battles

I really want to get Salem as a spotter plane DM . But I'm not willing to spend much of anything on a near clone I can gather free

[-TKS-]
Members
305 posts
6,066 battles

im really lost "tokens" ? what did i miss? what is the team containers?

to be honest if they had something similar for coal id be really tempted to do it for the flint. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
8 minutes ago, Skeem689 said:

The Salem perma camo in this event is better than the base camo she comes with! 

Keep that in mind too.

It's exactly the same camo bonuses that the Salem's base camo has now if someone were to buy her now with coal.

The 50% camo bonuses that was reviewed by CCs was a placeholder camo that WG did not put in when it went live. They opted for the typical tier 10 premium camo and didn't bother informing the reviewers about it at all.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,081 battles
8 minutes ago, blammo_2017 said:

Use the 25% coupon and the cost drops , well 25%

Lol that would probably be the most money saved in a purchase. Totally unrealistic but I thought it was funny there is a roundabout way to buy it at all.

18 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

im really lost "tokens" ? what did i miss? what is the team containers?

to be honest if they had something similar for coal id be really tempted to do it for the flint. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/go-navy-rules/

[TASH]
Members
1,766 posts
4,004 battles
25 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

I really want to get Salem as a spotter plane DM . But I'm not willing to spend much of anything on a near clone I can gather free

Salem doesn't have an option to equip a spotter plane. 

She has has 8.5km 25s radar and a super heal equal to the Royal Navy cruisers except with a catch - she only heals 33% of citadel damage as opposed to 50%.

I wouldn't say she's that much of a near clone, she offers a much more aggressive play style than Des Monies. She does have a lot of similar qualities I'll give you that. 

25 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It's exactly the same camo bonuses that the Salem's base camo has now if someone were to buy her now with coal.

The 50% camo bonuses that was reviewed by CCs was a placeholder camo that WG did not put in when it went live. They opted for the typical tier 10 premium camo and didn't bother informing the reviewers about it at all.

Thanks for clarifying, didn't believe you at first but a CC confirmed this info for me.

Crazy how poor the communication between CC and WG has been. 

Edited by Skeem689

[NUWES]
Members
1,675 posts
5,611 battles
23 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

I generally agree about the near clone. I love DM and I was very interested in Salem until I saw the T7 radar. No thank you. lol. 

Members
9,992 posts
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Before reading, this is very unrealistic and not suggested but it is some interesting math on the new event. The Arsenal currency is not being sold, it is a byproduct of an event that gives you coins to use in this one case. I was scrolling through reddit and saw a post on this and haven’t seen it on the forums yet. So here goes. 

Hide contents

You can buy coal! (Kind of) You can purchase the team containers to get tokens to use on containers which contain 450 coal. I think this is the first time it has been purchaseable indirectly as a byproduct (or at all). You can purchase containers in the premium store which give you 20 tokens each. These can be used in the Arsenal to get 4 containers which contain 450 coal each. So if you need 133 containers to end up with 239,400 coal. So if the prices are between $3-$5 per container, you’re looking at $399-$665 in order to purchase the Salem if you start with 0 coal. Now of course you would end up with a minimum of 1,596 special flags plus 532 more special flags plus 2,660 of each standard economy flags. 

So you would end up with 2,128 special flags, 2,660 of each standard economy flag, and the Salem. All for around $399-$665 If the containers cost between $3-$5 each. 

I think the math is right but I could’ve missed something. This post and math is all from my phone. 

Again, very unrealistic but funny for me to look at. I guess you’d be set with flags for a while...

The really sad part is, people will actually spend that much to get a ship that no one else has....:Smile_amazed:

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,973 battles

So far, I've only seen 1 Salem. But indirectly buying one? Well we will see if anyone drops enough money for that lol

[ARGSY]
Members
6,431 posts
4,302 battles
1 minute ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Well we will see if anyone drops enough money for that lol

And then take bets on how long before the "I am dissatisfied with this ship" post.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,611 posts
5,187 battles

I am dissatisfied with the Missouri.

Members
629 posts

Thanks - I get more and more fascinated by the business side of this game.   Actually more interested in the business side than the game.

I am so going to buy Salem just as soon as I understand what a Token and a Team Box is.  

Members
629 posts
2 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

I am dissatisfied with the Missouri.

HERETIC!!!!  

Dear Sir, You are officially booted from the Missouri Owners Association.  You are no longer welcome at our raft ups or cocktail party prior to the game.  

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,397 battles

you’re looking at $399-$665 in order to purchase the Salem if you start with 0 coal.

Shocked GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

I haven't seen anything saying the team containers are for sale.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,081 battles
39 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I am so going to buy Salem just as soon as I understand what a Token and a Team Box is.  

The general containers are sold in the premium store with 2x10 tokens. I think it was 10 tokens for each team. In the Arsenal you can purchase camos and other stuff with the tokens during the Go Navy event (you also earn tokens in game). 5 tokens will purchase a team container in the Arsenal which gives you 450 coal. So each premium store container gives you 4 team containers = 1,800 coal. We don’t know how much the premium store ones will cost but I assume in the 3-5 range because that is what the others have cost. Could easily be wrong though.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

500 USD is a bit rich for one ship. If it was the Armada bundle, it'd be a different story, as that one was practically every non-restricted Premium in-game at time of sale.

Then again, there are those who spent 500 USD on a single Gold Mech in Mechwarrior, way back when.

Beta Testers
38 posts
3,639 battles
3 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

500 USD is a bit rich for one ship. If it was the Armada bundle, it'd be a different story, as that one was practically every non-restricted Premium in-game at time of sale.

Then again, there are those who spent 500 USD on a single Gold Mech in Mechwarrior, way back when.

Or $27,000 on vaporware like Star Citizen.

Some people have too much money, and I'm grateful when they want to fund my free to play games buying overpriced items like this.

[BUOY]
Members
194 posts
7,915 battles

Reveal hidden contents

TBF in .7.7 they are implementing 'more resources' daily containers that have a guaranteed payout of at least 400 coal and if the drop rates in the PTS make it to live the 'normal' payout will be 800 coal, making getting the Salem the way WG wants most people with more sense and/or patience than money to get it (i.e. playing the game and getting coal through daily containers and events) the matter of a couple months grind even if you're starting from scratch.

That you can outright buy the Salem at an insanely inflated price compared to even FXP ships is fine considering otherwise they'd have shot themselves in the foot in never being able to monetize coal and unlike the FXP ships which require you to have at least somehow ground out the FXP+Elite XP to convert, coal has no such conversion requirement.