You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Ship marathon tasks - a general method for analysis.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles

Taking the recent Indianapolis Marathon and the permanent campaigns as context, I thought it would be useful to newer playhers to describe my method for approaching these tasks psychologically. With the Aigle and Indianapolis marathons as precedent, I don't think it beyond reason that we could be offered other mid-tier (5, 6, 7) premium ships (or even tech tree ships in new lines) in a similar format. Some of the tasks can be quite daunting, and it can be very helpful to less expert players to concentrate on what does NOT have to be achieved in order to worry less.

I analyse each task in the following manner:

Am I required to WIN? For many tasks, the answer is yes and I am at the mercy of my team. However, it is important to take note of when the answer is NO as this can take a lot of pressure off. Seeing the words "over any number of battles..." can be a huge relief.

If I am required to win, am I also required to SURVIVE? In many cases the answer is NO, and a whole lot of stress comes off. When the answer is no, it also means that one can, if necessary, throw one's ship away to guarantee a win for the team as a whole (e.g. by ramming when there are only two of you and one of them, and the points are close or losing for your team). When the answer is YES, a whole lot of luck is sometimes required along with the skill. Sometimes if you are low on health and the ram offers itself, it requires being unselfish, knowing that your death would result in your team-mate(s) surviving and getting their task.

If the answer to both of these questions is no, you can relax a little (the survival condition without a win is relatively uncommon).

Then you can turn your attention to the sort of ship the mission requires, and whether you have it or whether you must grind for it or (if you have no financial limitations) purchase it. All the usual caveats about ensuring a purchased ship is right for you still apply here. If you've never played destroyers, buying a Tier VIII premium DD just to do a mission task is potentially a rich source of salt (and regret). Please remember to study and heed TIER AND NATION RESTRICTIONS. There's nothing worse than finally completing a difficult task and finding it didn't count because you took the wrong ship.

"Be the first to spot X number of ships +/- of Y nationality" requires a destroyer or aircraft carrier to complete properly (and the ship type may be a condition of the mission, or may be EXCLUDED, so check carefully). Fortunately, when the number is high these tasks are usually over multiple missions with neither winning nor survival a condition.

Any task that involves setting fires is inappropriate for British cruisers, except for Belfast (which newer players won't have access to anyway). An exception is in minor-ship grinds where the condition is for fires over any number of battles; in this case, it is possible to do it in a British CL by getting suicidally close and hoping your secondary gunners get lucky. Mount fire-chance and secondary armament flags if you have them. The availability of HE shells for the primary armament of Stalingrad is still unsettled as of this writing, but prospective owners of that ship are generally sufficiently skilled that they probably don't need this guide anyway! 

Tasks that involve use of torpedoes are out for several classes of battleship and cruiser. Study your ships carefully, and consider obtaining destroyers (through grind or purchase as appropriate).

Citadel hits are generally the province of cruisers or battleships. Certain destroyers can citadel lightly armoured cruisers at short range if they select AP. Be sure to know your ship's capabilities in this regard if you intend taking a DD into one of these tasks.

For tasks requiring experience points, be sure to check whether the requirement is for BASE versus SHIP versus FREE versus COMMANDER XP. Tasks requiring BASE experience DO NOT BENEFIT from premium time, flags or camo, and there is no point in using any of these specifically to complete the mission (though if you're using the mission to grind the other forms of XP, they will provide the usual benefits in those respects). There are tasks in the permanent campaigns which ask for ship, commander or Free XP, and these missions could be selected with care in order to complete several together. For example, Mission 1, Task 8 in Yamamoto Isoroku asks for 30,000 experience and Mission 1, Task 1 of Halsey wants 50,000 Commander XP over any number of battles. Because Commander XP can be made to accumulate faster than ship XP with appropriate flags, selecting both these missions could easily result in their simultaneous completion. It is important to kill two birds with one stone whenever possible, as it saves effort.

For tasks that require earning silver, it should be remembered that the amount used is the amount that you gross AFTER bonuses (e.g. Wyvern flag, Zulu flag, premium time, Missouri camo) are calculated but BEFORE service costs are deducted. You get the best of both worlds here. I have checked this by experiment and it was valid as of making this post.

Capture point tasks can include taking the cap, sharing a capture, or defending. The latter is easiest, as you only have to continually hit an enemy ship at reasonable intervals so that they accumulate progress for you to reset. If you get a task that requires any of the three, remember that easy option which is available for you and regard caps or shared captures as bonuses. Sometimes a cap or shared cap is a condition, in which case battleships and carriers are probably not your ships of choice.

FOR THE MARATHONS: there is little choice - you must complete (generally) 21 of 26 tasks and must take them in linear order over short bursts of time. It is a good idea to try to complete them all, as the fewer you miss, the fewer 'hail-mary' chances you need later down the road if you unavoidably fail or otherwise cannot complete one.

FOR THE PERMANENT CAMPAIGNS: you can take your time, repeating the same easy tasks over and over to get the right number of stars to progress. You might not get the sub-stage rewards, BUT you can still get the stars needed to advance. Tasks requiring earning money or experience should be selected first. Tasks requiring damage are next, because sometimes they require a specific nationality to be damaged and a few of them even require victory in the game the damage was dealt. Leave tasks that require wins for later, especially if they require both winning and surviving. The exception to this is something like Halsey Mission 4, task 9, "Cause 500,000 damage to German ships over any number of victorious battles". Unless you lose literally ALL THE TIME (which should not be happening at Tier VIII), a task like this can be left in the queue until it completes because there is no time gate.

For tasks, especially multiple ones, that must be completed in a single battle, analyse your own results and ask yourself how often you achieve these goals. Then select the task if you think it's something you do often enough and wait for the stars to align.

I hope this helps the less experienced, or those who've never done one of these things before. I know it will help me to look back at as I approach the permanent campaigns with a view to their completion.

ETA: @Harv72b pointed out an important omission, that of game mode (co-op, random, ranked, scenarios, clan battles). All of the specific tasks above (extended ship marathons, permanent campaigns) can only be completed in Random battle mode (with the exception of a few tasks in the Halsey campaign, which are open to co-op). But if you are facing a lesser task (special event, weekly mission, etc), you may have a choice. In all cases, it is important not to attempt tasks in the wrong mode, or your achievements will not be registered and your effort will be wasted. (It should be noted here too that some campaigns and tasks must be specifically opted INTO at the world of warships dot com website). 

However, if you DO have a choice of mode, the following should be borne in mind:

Tasks requiring VICTORY and SHIP KILLS are best done in co-op.

Tasks requiring Experience points are best done in Randoms, where it accumulates faster.

Tasks requiring XP on a win may best be done in co-op (there is one ongoing as I type this, 23 July 2018, requiring XP earned in victories).

Tasks that can be done in scenarios used to make for a high chance of victory and an XP gain comparable to random battles. However, many of the scenarios have had their difficulty level substantially increased, and the decision whether to use this mode is left to the player's own judgement, based on experience.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
11 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Which is harder? Marathon or Blue Steel Debut Missions?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/arpeggio-blue-steel-debut/

I wasn't in the game until August 2017 so I missed this, but I contend that with two months to complete, and without the relative lack of carriers that currently prevails, the Arpeggio missions would have been within my reach at my current level of skill and given a broad enough selection of the ships available at the time. All of the tasks were over any number of battles, with no win or survival requirement, and the Kongo and Myoko missions were concurrent. The Hunters mission required getting the first two done in the first month; that might have been in the lap of the gods.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu All those details for such a simple thing as playing a game, having fun and enjoying the cyber company of others would tend to chill the enjoyment I get from this game!

But that is certainly an A+ dissertation! Carry On!

I got a late start on the Arpeggio missions but even them I won every ship and except for the day glo colors and squeaky voices I enjoy using them if only to see others complain in the in game chat about them!

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wasn't in the game until August 2017 so I missed this, but I contend that with two months to complete, and without the relative lack of carriers that currently prevails, the Arpeggio missions would have been within my reach at my current level of skill and given a broad enough selection of the ships available at the time. All of the tasks were over any number of battles, with no win or survival requirement, and the Kongo and Myoko missions were concurrent. The Hunters mission required getting the first two done in the first month; that might have been in the lap of the gods.

I wanna say I did most of these with only Ryujo. I heard somewhere that players complained that these missions were too hard so they "dumbed it down" in missions. Not sure if I am right though. Otherwise finally getting those two ships after doing all of those missions felt great.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
6 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu All those details for such a simple thing as playing a game, having fun and enjoying the cyber company of others would tend to chill the enjoyment I get from this game!

But that is certainly an A+ dissertation! Carry On!

I take your point. However, I'm writing for the newer, less experienced players who see the glittering prize at the top of the mountain but also notice the size of the mountain and wonder how they're ever going to climb it. I'm trying to show them ways to cut the tasks down to size in their own minds, prioritise them where possible, and realise that for the permanent missions at least, there are alternatives to biting off more than they can chew.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu You wouldn't happen to be running for some high political office are you? A bit of advice if you should be Now is not going to be a very good time to be a politician!

Carry on with your valuable service to the newer players!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
4 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

You wouldn't happen to be running for some high political office are you?

Cthulhu for President (or in my case, Prime Minister). Because why settle for the lesser evil? :cap_haloween:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Funny 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

The Kamikaze Pearl mission imo was the toughest. Because initially, you could not complete it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
6 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The Kamikaze Pearl mission imo was the toughest. Because initially, you could not complete it. 

What was the problem? Bug or feature?

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,957 battles

Very good write up (should probably be moved to/reposted in the New Player Guides for posterity), but one pretty glaring omission:

Check to see which game modes the task can be completed in!!!  As far as I know every "marathon" task has been do-able in Random Battles, but some have also allowed for completion in Co-op mode or even Operations.  Many tasks are vastly easier to complete in PvE, particularly those requiring kills/damage on a specific nation's ship (if you need to damage German ships, taking a German ship into Co-op guarantees there will be at least one on the enemy team) or aircraft kills (either take a CV of your own into Co-op & feast on bot planes or div up with a carrier player for the same purpose).  Plus of course it's generally much easier both to survive and to win in a PvE battle, if those conditions are required.  Also note that while XP & credit gains will be lower in PvE vs. PvP, bot battles are generally much shorter than randoms so missions requiring some number of kills can probably be completed faster in Co-op, even if you struggle to kill 1 ship/game in either mode.  Conversely, it does no good for a Co-op player to grind out 20 battles against bots only to learn that the mission he was attempting to complete is only accessible in randoms.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
20 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Very good write up (should probably be moved to/reposted in the New Player Guides for posterity), but one pretty glaring omission:

Check to see which game modes the task can be completed in!!!  As far as I know every "marathon" task has been do-able in Random Battles, but some have also allowed for completion in Co-op mode or even Operations.  Many tasks are vastly easier to complete in PvE, particularly those requiring kills/damage on a specific nation's ship (if you need to damage German ships, taking a German ship into Co-op guarantees there will be at least one on the enemy team) or aircraft kills (either take a CV of your own into Co-op & feast on bot planes or div up with a carrier player for the same purpose).  Plus of course it's generally much easier both to survive and to win in a PvE battle, if those conditions are required.  Also note that while XP & credit gains will be lower in PvE vs. PvP, bot battles are generally much shorter than randoms so missions requiring some number of kills can probably be completed faster in Co-op, even if you struggle to kill 1 ship/game in either mode.  Conversely, it does no good for a Co-op player to grind out 20 battles against bots only to learn that the mission he was attempting to complete is only accessible in randoms.

Good point. I'll add it in when I've got time to do it justice.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What was the problem? Bug or feature?

Bug. But then you had to ask yourself, how did they not see the numbers failed to add up in the allotted time? It was tough because most of us were fairly meh players. IIRC they were short one or two pearls within the restricted timing. It had a nice web interface and caused a lot of us to play a whole lot of time to ensure we got the ship. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/project-r-new-treasure-grand-prize-requirements/

Of course, immediately (or close to it) after the event, they put her up for sale which, as you might expect, riled a few feathers. 

Overall though it was fun times. Lots of mission variety and iirc, the first big "Earn a ship" contest after going live. 

My God it's been a couple of years now! :cap_wander:

Note: The ARP missions ticked a lot of us off. All the talk was we had to play the missions to get the ships, blah blah... so we did. When they were over, someone felt it was a good idea to bring them out again. Again, my memory is fuzzy, but they were so stupidly easy to earn the second time around those who won them "the hard way" vowed never to play them again. It also put a kick in the groin to those who really did feel "they earned them". 

These types of business decisions do have an impact on player loyalty for sure. There are a good number of names I saw in the thread I linked that simply aren't around any more. Did the missions have anything to do with their departure? Dunno. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
add note

[ARGSY]
Members
6,312 posts
4,256 battles
30 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

they were so stupidly easy to earn the second time around those who won them "the hard way" vowed never to play them again.

There are two ways to see this. One is as a slap in the face, and I can sympathise. The other way is to feel glad for those who got their first crack at it on the second run (or who missed out on the first) that they would not have to suffer what you did.

However, drydocking one's ARP ships forever in protest seems to me to be a counterproductive tantrum-throwing exercise, and a waste of all the effort those people put into winning them. 

As far as the Kamikazes are concerned... WG is a business, which has to make money to keep the lights on and the content rolling out. They are not a charity, regardless of how many people would like to see them as such. Am I glad for every ship, flag, camo or captain I can win or otherwise obtain for free? HELL, YES. But I've got over my free-to-play puritanism and my guilt over being able to afford what others can't - where a premium ship or item suits my purposes, I'll buy it if the price is right and I will defend Wargaming's right to sell it if they so choose. I fully side with Mouse on this one - she hit the nail right on the head.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

FWIW - if it were my game - I would have designed it to have its own internal ship market. I've said it probably too many times but they could have built a massively large cash cow with this game. If they had only setup a new/used car market, truly limited productions... serial numbers and all that... 

They sell the ship to start with - earn some serious coins. Of course the price would be "market demand" in that the price could fluctuate, like a stock on the stock market. Truly limited edition ships, as in "one of one thousand" (1:1K) or one in ten thousand (1:10K) would of course have much higher pricing. You can imagine this right.

The used market is where they would continue to rake in RL$ as they would take a cut on every sale from both the buyer and seller. They could in effect profit from everything, practically. There Their only task would be holding the Ships Registry, and completing the sales via transfer of the item from player A to player B. 

Imagine the asking price for a Kitty these days.... but I digress... IMO they missed the boat (pun intended) on this game. It practically cries out for this type of market as we know a whole lot of players are collectors. 

Heck... players who dont want a particular ship could at least recoup some of their coins or trade for another ship. 

Had they gone this route, the whole campaign and free ship missions would have been so much easier for them... imagine if you will, that market along with a truly random drop of limited ships into the player base every once in a while... as a stimulus package... 

It would also - likely - have killed the whole eBay buy an account thing, thereby keeping the money inside the system. 

The only problem I see is them being able to control themselves in the issuing of limited this, limited that and those stimulus packages. Too much, too many and the market would collapse. 

Well, back to the daily grind. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
there 2 their