You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

How my Orion build is doing thus far

14 comments in this topic

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles

I'd like to thank all those who gave me some great advise as to which captain skills will help make my Orion the ultimate seal clubber BB. I recently got AR for my 15 pts, working on the last four. Here are some screenshots from recent battles:

shot-18.07.10_13.27.54-0874.jpg

shot-18.07.13_18.14.47-0904.jpg

Edited by STINKWEED_

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

I just have to find it humorous they're still planning to nerf the a tier German BB or two, but not the low tier British BBs.

Nevertheless good job, you filthy seal-clubber. Burning down all that seal fat. :cap_haloween:

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,242 posts
9,942 battles
9 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I just have to find it humorous they're still planning to nerf the a tier German BB or two, but not the low tier British BBs.

Nevertheless good job, you filthy seal-clubber. Burning down all that seal fat. :cap_haloween:

UK BBs have a steeper learning curve I think, maybe that's the reason? 

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
7 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

LOL  they just nerfed the Orion one or two patches ago but she's still a good ship :-) 

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,804 battles
6 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

UK BBs have a steeper learning curve I think, maybe that's the reason? 

What's there to learn? 

Press the "1" key load HE aim at reds and profit. Seems pretty simple.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles
12 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

LOL  they just nerfed the Orion one or two patches ago but she's still a good ship :-) 

The exact song I hear when I occasionally take out a firespammer into the low-mid tiers and set 4 fires on some unlucky player.

• Cool 1

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
23 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

What's there to learn? 

Press the "1" key load HE aim at reds and profit. Seems pretty simple.

Well, that's not 100% accurate. There's more than firing shells at the enemy. In fact, I'd say that close to half of the ships I sink per battle are DDs.
The newbie DD players haven't learned yet that they shouldn't chase a BB as it is very hard to torp ahead.  I slow down and let them get 2-3km to my 5 or 7 o'clock and then tilt the ship and fire all my guns ( HE ) in one volley. Their DDs usually just explode and I bet those players fall out of their chairs. Jolly good fun indeed!

Edited by STINKWEED_

Members
27 posts
1,093 battles

I just started grinding the line and I've followed the "Use AP for almost all situations" battleship rule.  I'm a IJN/German BB player and the line is new to me.

Should I audible to HE for the Orion?  I'm new to her but I've had success with AP until DDs get up close and personal.  Tell me what I'm doing wrong firing AP, please.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,122 battles
4 minutes ago, Commander_Krill said:

I just started grinding the line and I've followed the "Use AP for almost all situations" battleship rule.  I'm a IJN/German BB player and the line is new to me.

Should I audible to HE for the Orion?  I'm new to her but I've had success with AP until DDs get up close and personal.  Tell me what I'm doing wrong firing AP, please.

You're doing nothing wrong using AP in any battleship.  It's just that the British BBs actual have very good HE that is serviceable in almost any situation.  Your AP will still do more alpha damage, but it can be less reliable so many players just take the less tactical route and just fire HE all the time.

• Cool 1

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
15 minutes ago, Commander_Krill said:

My advice is to use HE in all situations except when at close range. If the enemy BB or cruiser is all or partly broadside and within 5 km switch to AP after setting him on fire first.  

This goes for Orion, Iron Duke and King George. For Queen E (tier 6) use primarily AP while switching to HE for enemy ships that are bow slinging (their bow facing you) or long range higher tier BBs. The Queen E is more like a German BB so you should be good with it.  The same goes for the tier 8. 
I also recommend survivability builds as all the enemy cruisers will gang up on you with HE. Good luck!

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles

There are 3 things that keep Imp.Nikolai I from going absolutely rampant in Tier IV.

CVs Hosho & Langley

DDs

Orion

Everything else is roadkill to Imp.Nik I.

What makes another thing funny with Orion is that she can by default, easily HE Citadel the many Cruisers she encounters.  Low tier Cruisers are so worthless in terms of armor that BBs like Orion, Ishizuchi had always been doing this.  Not even Conqueror at Tier X can boast that because of the sheer armor found there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles
19 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What makes another thing funny with Orion is that she can by default, easily HE Citadel the many Cruisers she encounters.  Low tier Cruisers are so worthless in terms of armor that BBs like Orion, Ishizuchi had always been doing this.  Not even Conqueror at Tier X can boast that because of the sheer armor found there.

For sure!   I often get double cits and a Devastating Strike on broadside cruisers.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
5,259 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There are 3 things that keep Imp.Nikolai I from going absolutely rampant in Tier IV.

CVs Hosho & Langley

DDs

Orion

Everything else is roadkill to Imp.Nik I.

I don't actually have problems with these things in my Nikolai.  Really the only thing that causes things to end badly for me is if I put myself in a position where I get focus fired by multiple ships at once.  Use some caution in Nikolai and she will steamroll everything in her path.

I still prefer my Ark Beta though.  Nothing is sweeter than a low tier DD discovering that not all BB secondaries are useless at that tier.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles
4 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

For sure!   I often get double cits and a Devastating Strike on broadside cruisers.  

Low tier Cruisers are such trash.  I remember taking Ishizuchi, finding a St.Louis that shelled me and set fires earlier.  I sped up to overtake it :Smile_teethhappy:, get within secondaries range, and rake St.Louis with 4 fires, bow to stern, using Secondaries and Main Battery HE.

"Haze, why didn't you use AP?  You'd have slaughtered it!"

Why? 

LOL why would I shorten my enjoyment of tormenting this Cruiser with my Battleship?

Why would I shorten the reversing of the tables of my BB roasting a Cruiser alive, SLOWLY?

tumblr_ohtr87l5lf1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

During this whole time of being in short range, I had zero concerns about the shells from St.Louis.  I didn't even notice.  What I did notice was me smiling as I slowly turned the Cruiser over the fire pit, screaming.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway