Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Massachusetts has put 3/4 of my fleet into mothballs!

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

As many of you know, I'm a secondary obsessed brawler.  Most of my battleships (which I play 80% of the time) fit that definition.  Now that I have Massachusetts I've found little reason to play any of the others.  All the German ships, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Gneis, Bayern. . . going into mothballs.  All the American battleships except Massachusetts and Ark Beta. . . mothballs.  All the Frenchies except Normandie (so I have a Tier 6). . . mothballs.

I never understood those people who play primarily one ship. . . now that WG has given me my dream battleship. . . I'm starting to become one.

I'm starting to experiment again with low tier play for a change of pace.  Between that and my mothball fleet. . . I'm guessing the lineup of ships I'll actually play from now on looks something like this:

Bellerophon
Nassau
Ark Beta
Nikolai
Iron Duke (maybe)
Guilio Cesare
Normandie
Graf Spee
Pensacola (Still trying her out)
KGV
Prinz Eugen
Baltimore
Massachusetts

Is anyone else finding that they are narrowing down their selection of ships?

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
2,983 posts
4,388 battles

nah,diversity is good(not all kind of diversity,some things don't mesh together well).

wait until russian battleships come with their 900ms shell velocity hitting like a train with no brakes.

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,734 battles

Interesting. I've always had my doubt for the capabilities of the Massachusetts, a 5-inch secondary focused battleship with a vulnerable cheek, waterline citadel and no turtlebacks. But I'm glad it's working out for you!

I did start to narrow down my selections, a few ships have won my hearts either through time or love on first sight.

König Albert (trollface)
(no tier 4 that I like :(  )
Giulio Cesare (this thing is broken)
Kongo(s)
Emil Bertin (No armor best armor)
Fuso (duh)
Bayern
Belfast (trollfacex2)
Myoko(s)
Bismarck (duh)
Amagi
North Carolina
Mikhail Kutuzov (trollfacex3)

And that's my list from tier 3-8

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

I play ships as much for their flavor as their capabilities.  For example, why play DoY when there's KGV?  Flavor.  And maybe a bit of a challenge.  I've also discovered some ships that I hated as I moved up the line are actually quite fun now that I understand them.  I pretty much keep most ships, and will jump in whatever floats my boat at the moment.  

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
552 posts
12,006 battles

I'm playing the Massachusetts more than any other ship.  But I still really enjoy playing the 8-10's

Yamato

Republique

Shimakazee

Missouri

Bismarck

============================

Southern and Eastern Dragons

and further down the tree

Derzki

Imperator Nikolai

Other than that, not too much more lately...

Edited by nagasakee

Members
162 posts
10,239 battles

The secondary bonus is nice and fun but boy is the lack of sigma/accuracy annoying on the Massachusetts. You miss the easiest citadel punishments on pretty much anything sitting around dead most of the time even at minimum dispersion range...

Alabama is more accurate and NC is even more so but with less torp protection, and turning. So there is pretty much a fine ballance between all 3 quite similar ships. I personaly would rate both NC and Alabama stronger with the NC the strongest but thats only minor differences. 

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles

Basically all of my T10's have made the rest of my ships obsolete.  I rarely play anything outside of them, and maybe my Missouri.  

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
41 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Basically all of my T10's have made the rest of my ships obsolete.  I rarely play anything outside of them, and maybe my Missouri.  

I'm the opposite.  Un-fun gameplay at Tiers 9 and 10 made me put all ships above Tier 8 into mothballs already.  Including all the Free XP ships, Alsace, and a handful of tier 10s.  The game is just not well balanced above Tier 8.  I did ok at high tiers. . . but if you're not having fun even when you're winning, it's time to throw in the towel.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

As many of you know, I'm a secondary obsessed brawler.  Most of my battleships (which I play 80% of the time) fit that definition.  Now that I have Massachusetts I've found little reason to play any of the others.  All the German ships, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Gneis, Bayern. . . going into mothballs.  All the American battleships except Massachusetts and Ark Beta. . . mothballs.  All the Frenchies except Normandie (so I have a Tier 6). . . mothballs.

I never understood those people who play primarily one ship. . . now that WG has given me my dream battleship. . . I'm starting to become one.

I'm starting to experiment again with low tier play for a change of pace.  Between that and my mothball fleet. . . I'm guessing the lineup of ships I'll actually play from now on looks something like this:

Bellerophon
Nassau
Ark Beta
Nikolai
Iron Duke (maybe)
Guilio Cesare
Normandie
Graf Spee
Pensacola (Still trying her out)
KGV
Prinz Eugen
Baltimore
Massachusetts

You have a Nikolai too........I hate you again hehehehehehe just teasing you my brother, I am just jealous. That is the ONE ship I want and will never have. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,219 posts
9,908 battles

I'm a JOAT, anything I play usually is fun. Unless its British BBs....for some reason I can't make those ships work....:cap_wander_2::fish_nerv:

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

I have 3/4 of my fleet mothballed simply because I can't afford the upgrades on all of them. I have, count them, 4 (four) ships in my fleet that I actively play (Yamato, Gearing, Akizuki, Izhizuchi), hopefully 5 soon as I plan to get Harugumo, but I will likely have to sell Akizuki to get her. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

Warspite, Nelson, Duke of York, Harekaze, Hood, Missouri, Musashi, Graf Spee, so many good premium ships to choose from for players.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

I'm the opposite.  Un-fun gameplay at Tiers 9 and 10 made me put all ships above Tier 8 into mothballs already.  Including all the Free XP ships, Alsace, and a handful of tier 10s.  The game is just not well balanced above Tier 8.  I did ok at high tiers. . . but if you're not having fun even when you're winning, it's time to throw in the towel.

On the contrary, I think T10 is probably the most balanced tier.  There are always exceptions, but each ship excels at something and has a role to fill, while not being grossly overpowered.  Of course I'm excluding the debacle that is T10 CV gameplay, but I'd be willing to bet it's atrocious at just about every tier.  

Now if we're talking about a competent playerbase, that's a completely different story.  T10 is the most punishing tier by far, and that does scare a lot of people off.  It can make for either very dynamic gameplay, or very stagnant gameplay, it's how you take each individual game that influences the fun factor.  

Members
605 posts
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Welcome to the Dark Side Playa!!!

I pretty much only play Yamato, Hindenburg and Gearing. Lately Gearing is sitting out due to Legendary module IMHO a NERFY NERF. 

the other 60+ ships only exist so that WOWs does not gift me them again.  Mass seems to be a good experiment.   I would like to see a buff on those secondaries and move it to Tier 10. Will not happen but...I can dream

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

You have a Nikolai too........I hate you again hehehehehehe just teasing you my brother, I am just jealous. That is the ONE ship I want and will never have. 

LOL don't worry. . . you always have the option of spending hundreds on santa crates just on the off chance you might get her.  *smh*  I don't get people who do that.  Honestly, she's a good ship, but her street rep is far bigger than what it's like to actually play her.  As you might imagine, she gets focused a lot.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Warspite, Nelson, Duke of York, Harekaze, Hood, Missouri, Musashi, Graf Spee, so many good premium ships to choose from for players.

Since when is Duke of York a good premium?  You'll notice she didn't make my list.

I hope she gets a buff though.  I have a dream of someday only playing premium ships. . . but right now there are still tech tree ships that I love that haven't been replaced by a premium.

Warspite I have a love/hate relationship with.  I alternate.  Been a while since I started hating her.  Might be time to take her out and love her for a while.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
18 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

LOL don't worry. . . you always have the option of spending hundreds on santa crates just on the off chance you might get her.  *smh*  I don't get people who do that.  Honestly, she's a good ship, but her street rep is far bigger than what it's like to actually play her.  As you might imagine, she gets focused a lot.

I will NEVER buy a single crate, it is gambling and I hope they make those and loot boxes illegal. Developers are making stripped down games that you have to buy loot crates to fill in the missing sections and people are stupid enough to keep doing it. If Wargaming wants more of my money they will have to sell exactly what I want in the store. A friend of mine let me log onto his account so I could play the Nikolai. I had 103k damage and 4 kills. I logged back off and he said I could keep playing it. I said nope, because if I keep playing it I will just cry lol.

Yep the Nikolai is only really good when the other team is full of potatoes and have no idea what the threat level of the Nikolai is. 

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
8,075 battles

For someone that used to run a full secondary Warspite back in the day, Massachusetts is hella fun. And I'm the same, I tend to play Mass and Ark Beta a lot more than any other BB here of late. I've been using my long-serving New Mex captain, who still had something of an AA build, in both, with the only real change being to add IFHE. I'll give WG credit for how they modeled the secondarys - Atlanta ROF, Atlanta range, and Atlanta arcs - it literally is like having two Atlantas strapped to the sides. For my money, it's the closest thing in game to what a USN BB was capable of doing IRL.

I think anyone who has spent a good amount of time in game, reaches the point where you have so many ships, you have to pick and choose which ones are your favorites, especially when your play time is limited IRL, to get the most enjoyment and "quality time" when you do get a chance to play.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this