You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Leopard_IX

Save the Battleship Texas

43 comments in this topic

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,349 battles

Thank you for making me aware of this. I'm the 10,034th signature. :)

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

Was so happy when WG helped raise funds by selling to Texas and giving all the profits to saving the real thing. Happy to say I bought the Texas that day. Really hoping the community can pull through and save it.

[NUWES]
Members
1,661 posts
5,587 battles

What is going on in the Texas legislature why the state flagship is still sinking? Does anyone know? I signed the petition as a history buff and as a non-Texan interested in preserving history. I don't live anywhere near Texas and I have never been there but these petitions keep going around, everyone donates and signs up yet the ship never seems to get permanently repaired and it keeps decaying. Repairing it and preserving it in more permanent fashion isn't even a blip in the state budget yet it still hasn't happened. Anyone know what is actually going on who can tell those of us who don't live there? 

[HINON]
Members
9,038 posts
33 minutes ago, Sir_Orrin said:

Was so happy when WG helped raise funds by selling to Texas and giving all the profits to saving the real thing. Happy to say I bought the Texas that day. Really hoping the community can pull through and save it.

It was a great gesture and the amount they donated was impressive. 

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles

If Texans can't get it together to save her.... Its has to be the most wealthy state in the country, I mean (yes I did  contribute by buying the Texas camo earlier)

Image result for cmon man

• Bad 1

[WGA]
Administrator
694 posts
251 battles

It's a great cause and we are all hopeful funding can be found to help secure this piece of history!

• Cool 4

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

It's a great cause and we are all hopeful funding can be found to help secure this piece of history!

I am not knocking the cause, but what is the realistic cost here? WG's 15k contribution, when it costs 100k a day to keep it afloat? I mean asking for money is one thing, not telling us what is needed is another. If Texas can build jerry world they can raise 1/100th of that to save the ship. And yes, I did contribute to the USS Texas. But asking for more and more without any idea of what is needed is like religion..... God is coming...when? I'll get back to you...but here is the donation plate....

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

I'm in.  #10062

13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

If Texas can build jerry world

Don't go Obama on us.  Texas didn't build Jerry World, Jerry built Jerry World. 

But I get your point.  The resources are here to do it and do it right.  Fortunately, due to fracking and the rework of the Permian Basin, there will be a big bump in state revenue this session.  Let's see if we can carve away some of that.  Of course, the most efficient way to do this would be with private money.  Anyone know a salty billionaire? 

StateofTexas.jpg

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles

Assuming that the solution would be to build her a permanent drydock (or whatever the proper term is), it seems like this would largely be a one time expense.  Oh, there might be some minor maintenance costs over time.  But if they could get the ship out of water, that would seem to end the problems with the hull rotting and leaking.  

Frankly, I'd think that all museum ships will be facing this issue at some point.  It's only a matter of time.

[HINON]
Members
9,038 posts
19 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

They raised nearly 300k dollars.

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

They raised nearly 300k dollars.

13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm in.  #10062

Don't go Obama on us.  Texas didn't build Jerry World, Jerry built Jerry World. 

But I get your point.  The resources are here to do it and do it right.  Fortunately, due to fracking and the rework of the Permian Basin, there will be a big bump in state revenue this session.  Let's see if we can carve away some of that.  Of course, the most efficient way to do this would be with private money.  Anyone know a salty billionaire? 

StateofTexas.jpg

texas could do a one year .20% tax and refit this thing to be state of the art in 2020. I am in the oil, gas and natural resource bizz. 17 year olds working at mcky d's are making 22 bucks and hour in Midland, texas.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

texas could do a one year .20% tax and refit this thing

You really don't want to go there.  Not in Texas.  There's a tax revolt brewing without having to explain that we need a hike for an obsolete shipwreck.

Where are you, anyway?

• Cool 1

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

You really don't want to go there.  Not in Texas.  There's a tax revolt brewing without having to explain that we need a hike for an obsolete shipwreck.

Where are you, anyway?

as to texas taxes, I don't know. But we both know how much money is flowing from that oil patch, it's like North Dakato was, but much bigger,,,, taxes may have been a bad example...but there isn't a state in the Union that could more easily rip this ship out of the water, patch it, paint it and refloat it....

[LF]
Members
114 posts

My understanding is that right now they are doing a lot of internal work to weld new framing and flooring. The long term solution is a permanent dry dock but that is really expensive. Read one estimate (last year) at 22 million. If they can do this, it would be the largest museum warship ever put in permanent dry dock.

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
1 minute ago, n5bar said:

My understanding is that right now they are doing a lot of internal work to weld new framing and flooring. The long term solution is a permanent dry dock but that is really expensive. Read one estimate (last year) at 22 million. If they can do this, it would be the largest museum warship ever put in permanent dry dock.

Perspective. 1 dollar per citizen in texas. one time.... with a 15 million surplus... cmon Texas, don't be like your football teams, soft...

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

cmon Texas, don't be like your football teams, soft...

Them's fightin' words, boy!

What swamp you from, anyway?

41ls5TXDfAL._US500_.jpg

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Them's fightin' words, boy!

What swamp you from, anyway?

41ls5TXDfAL._US500_.jpg

steers an... only thing that lives in texas.. and I don't see any horns

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

I don't gotta take that from someone who is ashamed of his own state.

C'mon down here.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
2,591 posts
12,470 battles

I live in a state that would have to travel North to get to you....and no one from my state goes to your state...we just whoop that a z in everything, especially Football.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
550 battles

As far-fetched and incredibly unlikely as it is, I'd love to see her move under her own power again some day. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
250 posts
2,163 battles

Raising taxes to save a rusting ship?  In Texas?  pssshh.  lol   Riiight.  We don't even want to raise taxes to help the kids in school.  Where I grew up, "tax" was a curse word.  "Austin" and "state government" were others.  

Besides, the ship is in Houston.  If the ship were in Dallas next to Jerry's throne,  people might actually give a crap.

Edited by Ann_Darrow
spelling errors

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
250 posts
2,163 battles
3 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

As far-fetched and incredibly unlikely as it is, I'd love to see her move under her own power again some day. 

No way.  It'd probably collapse under its own weight.  We'll be lucky to plug the leaks.

[ALPHA]
[ALPHA]
Members
404 posts
8,494 battles

I have 3 Bolts et 2 nuts if he need, i can send them by a mail.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
7 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

If I understand correctly, there are two conditions for a warship to be sold from the military.  1) all weapons must be permanently disabled.  2) the ship must not be made to move under its own power.  Constitution can sail because she's still in the Navy.

Would be nice, though.