You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
nukethefearless

how the heck do fighters work?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
154 posts
30 battles

this is the only part I have a hard time to understand... it seems that fighter battles are just random to who the victor is?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Dog fights are heavy rng, yes. Strafe is a face melting wall of death.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

They have health and DPS, but I don't understand them either. Also, US carriers can strafe out of a fight at the loss of one plane (Saipan is an exception and doesn't lose a plane). 

Beta Testers
154 posts
30 battles
1 minute ago, CarbonButtprint said:

They have health and DPS, but I don't understand them either. Also, US carriers can strafe out of a fight at the loss of one plane (Saipan is an exception and doesn't lose a plane). 

how? I tried to have my fighters leave a dogfight sevral times and nothing

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

Assuming your battle count, many times in early cv battles the enemy my have a much higher skill capt than you do, and can wreck your planes without blinking.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
Just now, nukethefearless said:

how? I tried to have my fighters leave a dogfight sevral times and nothing

Have to be tier 6 or higher, then you use the alt attack to do it. If it does nothing, then force it to engage the enemy, then try again.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Fighters using auto-attack are very random, yes. It basically boils down to this, so far as I know: Each fighter in a squadron represents a part of its DPM. While two squadrons are engaged there's a chance for one fighter from each squadron to be destroyed based on RNG and DPM. The more DPM a squadron has left, the better the chances are that it will kill enemy fighters and not vice-versa.

Edit: Strafing is a fighter squadron's alt attack, they fly in a line and basically just gun down whatever's in their way with improved DPM. At tier 6 fighters can use strafe. At tier 8 fighters can use strafe to disengage from an auto-fight.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
  • Don't fight fighters if you don't need to.
  • If you are gonna fight, try to position them as close to allies as possible.
  • If you are gonna fight, don't fight against a squad that has more planes than you.
  • If you are gonna fight, don't. Lead them away with a decoy so that you have better chance to attack.
  • Numbers will overall dictate who will win
    • 6 v 4, 6 v 8, 12 v 8, 4 v 4, etc
    • This includes "HP" because you cannot see it
    • Example: Just because your Planes flies over a ship with little AA does not mean you are not damage. That -10 is all it takes for your fighters to be destroyed by the enemy.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles

Captain traits, upgraded aircraft, and later on, things like Flight Control Mod upgrades play a role.  There's also the use of surface ship AA that can add significant factors to an AA fight.  Most of all however, once you start Tier VI CVs, Manual Attacks, Strafing determine success.  Lord help you if you go to Tier VII and beyond and not get a grasp on Strafes.  Don't be like this guy getting to Tier X Hakuryu and not realizing what a Strafe was.

[SAY]
Members
18 posts
2,395 battles

The field of battle is not uniform.

You need to keep them away from AA sources and enemy fighters - unless intended.

Be aware that ships like the Atlanta can have AA bubbles that extend past detection, so you can get wiped out and not even see who did it.

Of course, there are enemy fighters and be wary of incoming strafe attacks.

A new danger is click-attacking enemy planes.  If they are moving slowly, while returning to their CV, they have Evasive Maneuver as a captain skill..  Strafe if you can, but if you can't you might want to leave them be since you will lose half as many fighters as they will lose strike aircraft.

With fighters selected, holding down ALT shows your strafe box.  Damage is also done outside this box as well, but the effect is diminished.  Hit LMB to order it done.

Practice in Co-Op...   Practice..  and Practice... and Practice this..  Also practice the other manual drops.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
46 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

At tier 8 fighters can use strafe to disengage from an auto-fight.

Tiers 6-10 CVs can do this. My Ranger does it fine.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
9,536 battles

Bit dated, but the mechanics are probably still good.