Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Willy55_1955

GPU overheating

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

66
[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,962 battles

Was having issues, did a reset on my computer which has a GTX-1050 TI card. Ran ROG gaming center, all is 'cool' (50ish C). Noticed today GPU temp back up hi 70's-low 80's. Fan still set on auto (S). Other games (WoT, Arena) no issues, only WoWS. Anyone experience anything similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[-S-R-]
Members
328 posts
7,336 battles

Have the same issue, especially while in port.  I have no idea what is going on in port but you could easily fry an egg on the processor.  Well, one time at least. Haha.  Seriously though, it is crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
4 posts
1,299 battles
22 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Was having issues, did a reset on my computer which has a GTX-1050 TI card. Ran ROG gaming center, all is 'cool' (50ish C). Noticed today GPU temp back up hi 70's-low 80's. Fan still set on auto (S). Other games (WoT, Arena) no issues, only WoWS. Anyone experience anything similar?

willy princechar have servor error today cant run game either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
18 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Have you tried this?

l-27240-how-do-you-cool-your-system.jpg.860d82c8918876cb65c7839aa0ebaa25.jpg

This ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,349 battles

Set everything to low and then AB test by putting up one setting to the max at a time. 

I play with a lot of extra crap off like shadows, animate small objects and soft particles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[NUWES]
Members
1,677 posts
5,620 battles

Not to ask the obvious, but is the fan actually turning? I saw where you mentioned it is set on auto, but have you watched it actually turning properly? Most of the time I've seen the graphics card overheat the fan was jammed with dust and not turning properly. Occasionally there is dust on the card that is causing the problem. Try compressed air if you haven't yet. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Have the same issue, especially while in port.  I have no idea what is going on in port but you could easily fry an egg on the processor.  Well, one time at least. Haha.  Seriously though, it is crazy.

Something stupid is definitely happening in the port. Especially when putting on camos and signals, it is so poorly optimized even though I have a good setup with a gtx 1060.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,962 battles
38 minutes ago, _Dreadnaught_ said:

Set everything to low and then AB test by putting up one setting to the max at a time. 

I play with a lot of extra crap off like shadows, animate small objects and soft particles.

I'll try that, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
242
[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,349 battles
1 minute ago, Willy55_1955 said:

I'll try that, thanks.

Also, check 7.6 update patch notes, WoWS dev team might have "patched" a feature that's causing you the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Port is particularly bad... even with an aggressively vented 1080ti in an enthusiast level case... If I turn my case fans to high it brings it down but it's still noticeable. 

Is your case just some normal closed case with passive ventilation or is it something more appropriate for the gaming hardware? Is it clean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,608
[PSP]
Members
6,362 posts
8,983 battles
2 hours ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Have the same issue, especially while in port.  I have no idea what is going on in port but you could easily fry an egg on the processor.  Well, one time at least. Haha.  Seriously though, it is crazy.

In the animated main menu of 3-d games the frame rates can get out of control. Turning vsync on will stop this from happening.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
3 hours ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Have the same issue, especially while in port.  I have no idea what is going on in port but you could easily fry an egg on the processor.  Well, one time at least. Haha.  Seriously though, it is crazy.

In port they have some [edited] long standing bug. It used to peg my GTX 970 at nearly 100% use just idling, but only in port. I have 1070 TI now and it's like 60-70% in port. It's been like this since I started playing over and a half ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

In the animated main menu of 3-d games the frame rates can get out of control. Turning vsync on will stop this from happening.

Thanks, I'll try that. I have Vsync turned off because in one of the past builds when I had it enabled, it caused screen tearing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[-S-R-]
Members
328 posts
7,336 battles

Other suggestions I've heard have been change your port to Ocean.  I did that and did the v-sync toggle thing too and it doesn't seem to make a difference or the difference is very small.  I'm running a 1070 with 5GB ram, so my card is quite robust.  Even so, that fan and the heat cranks up fast when in port.  I sometimes actually worry about the finish on my desk. 

It is definitely an incentive to spend as little time in port and as much in game as possible and so I think I stumbled on the WG logic here, comrades!  Working as intended!  :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[TBOW]
Members
1,264 posts
10,726 battles

First do a good dusting to get rid oh lint and dust that got picked up.  Make sure nothing is too close to the vents so hot air can escape, and a small desktop fan can help with cooling, by moving the warm air venting out away from the machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
287
[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles
17 hours ago, Willy55_1955 said:

Was having issues, did a reset on my computer which has a GTX-1050 TI card. Ran ROG gaming center, all is 'cool' (50ish C). Noticed today GPU temp back up hi 70's-low 80's. Fan still set on auto (S). Other games (WoT, Arena) no issues, only WoWS. Anyone experience anything similar?

All GTX Graphics cards from the 7xx series and up have something called GPU Boost.  Think of this as an automated overclocking service that will increase clock and core speeds of your card until it hits a thermal barrier.  You can set this barrier manually, but the preset amount is either 81 or 82 degrees C.  

Basically you have no issue, your card is being pushed the hardest in WoWs compared to other games.  

Edited by XpliCT_PaiiN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
268
[NOBS]
Members
553 posts
6,003 battles
1 minute ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

All GTX Graphics cards from the 7xx series and up have something called GPU Boost.  Think of this as an automated overclocking service that will increase clock and core speeds of your card until it hits a thermal barrier.  You can set this barrier manually, but the preset amount is either 81 or 82 degrees C.  

Basically you have no issue, your card is being pushed the hardest in WoWs compared to other games.  

I run boost, my GPU is at 100% all the time, temp is always maxed out, on every game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
287
[SUCIT]
Members
848 posts
3,662 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_h2o said:

I run boost, my GPU is at 100% all the time, temp is always maxed out, on every game

If he has Gsync or Vsync enabled it will cause the GPU to throttle in other games if it's not being pushed regardless of what the boost is set to.  WoWs also has more polygons than wot due to map size, scale and detail.  I'm just stating that the GPU being 80c is normal and expected for any GTX graphics card.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,962 battles
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, Tzarevitch said:

Not to ask the obvious, but is the fan actually turning? I saw where you mentioned it is set on auto, but have you watched it actually turning properly? Most of the time I've seen the graphics card overheat the fan was jammed with dust and not turning properly. Occasionally there is dust on the card that is causing the problem. Try compressed air if you haven't yet. 

Yes, it is. I blow air through the chassis once a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×