You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

When They Stop Giving Doubloons For Premiums When Sold And Why Did They Stop?

9 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts

I've seen quite a few posts where people said they used to give doubloons when selling a premium ship back.   Now even if it didn't amount to as much as what you paid it would be better customer service and  I know more than a few people would be happier if it were still a thing and have said so  seems to me it would be a Win Win for both the customer and  WG

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I could be wrong, but I have been playing this game since closed beta and don't remember ever being able to sell a premium ship for doubloons.  Either way, WG allowing you to essentially receive a refund for a previous purchase doesn't really seem like much of a "win" for them.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
7 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

I could be wrong, but I have been playing this game since closed beta and don't remember ever being able to sell a premium ship for doubloons.  Either way, WG allowing you to essentially receive a refund for a previous purchase doesn't really seem like much of a "win" for them.

Customer Satisfaction would go up that's a Win Win,  Perhaps a misunderstanding Premium Ships is what I was speaking of not accounts

Edited by shadowsrmine

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
15 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

I've seen quite a few posts where people said they used to give doubloons when selling a premium ship back.   Now even if it didn't amount to as much as what you paid it would be better customer service and  I know more than a few people would be happier if it were still a thing and have said so  seems to me it would be a Win Win for both the customer and  WG

As far as I know, they have never allowed them to be sold for doubloons. They have been sold for silver and if you want them back, you can make sure you have that amount of silver and submit a ticket. They are limited though. 

The thing people have been posting about regarding doubloons is the discounted value. You used to be able to purchase a 30% off ship you currently had and receive the full amount of doubloons. Now they changed it to where if a ship is 30% off you only get 70% of the doubloons if you already own it.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
303 posts
5,159 battles

They have previously allowed Dubloon “compensation” for a few premium ships as refunds for game balance changes that had an effect on that particular ships gameplay. The latest example and only one I can remember is the Belfast, Kutuzov and Perth when the smoke firing mechanics changed.

The issue you have been seeing posted is that when WG used to offer a ship at a discount people who already owned it would re-buy it and gain the ships full cost in Dubloons in the client.  Now you only get the discounted amount of dubloons.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
9,351 battles

they are a business, you give them money and they really don't want to give it back.... so they give you in game compensation.  Many real life stores do the same thing, you return, they give you a exchange to be used in their store...

Members
9,962 posts
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

They have Never refunded doubloons for premium ships except in special cases as noted above. How would giving back money because you decided to dump a premium be a win for WG?

Edited by awiggin

[HDM]
Members
386 posts
12,571 battles
On 7/16/2018 at 1:25 PM, shadowsrmine said:

That was never a thing. It's always been silver. What they did change was they reduced the amount of silver considerably because even a tier 2 premium would sell for several million and it was cheaper to keep buying them and selling them than it was to buy silver.

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,958 battles

As others have said, they have never allowed you to sell Premium ships for doubloons as a normal transaction.  If you buy premium ship, it has always been that you will only get in-game currency, not doubloons, if you decide to sell it.  The only exception is in a rare, extraordinary circumstance, such a game balance change that drastically affected what could be considered a key characteristic of the ship (as in the characteristic people probably bought the ship for).  Even then, in such cases, there was always a narrow window in which you could take advantage of the offer.  So, for instance, if you had a ship that fell under that exception but decided to keep it when the offer was made, you would just get in-game credits, not doubloons, if you tried to sell it back now.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, awiggin said:

They have Never refunded doubloons for premium ships except in special cases as noted above. How would giving back money because you decided to dump a premium be a win for WG?

This.  Being able to sell back premiums for Doubloons would allow people to buy a premium then, when they got bored with it, sell it back and buy a different one.  While that may sound like a win for the player, it is certainly not a win for WG.  Their sales of premiums would go way up, but their profits would go way down because people would just be reusing money they already spent to acquire new premiums.

Thus, you heard wrong.  What you were probably hearing is a recent change they made for people purchasing package deals which contained ships they already had.   When that happens, they would typically give you port slot and, if it came with a captain, the captain but give you the value of the ship in doubloons.  The reason they changed this is that people were taking advantage of deals (specifically some Steam offers) where they were buying ships they already had at discounted prices, giving them the full doubloon compensation for the ship in question.  This was effectively allowing them to buy doubloons at a discounted price.  Selling doubloons at a discounted price was not the intent of the offer.  It was to encourage new players to spend money on the game, so they closed that loophole by changing the compensation when you buy a package like that when you already have the ship(s).