You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FDT5896

Low tier destroyers are extremely frustrating to play against

33 comments in this topic

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts

Sometimes I like to venture back to T3 (I have a König Albert, sue me) and low tier destroyers are absolutely annoying as all Hell. Their torpedoes reload nearly as fast as my main battery, they can charge at me without much penalty because secondary battery accuracy is garbage, and if I miss with my main battery (due to dispersion or because they sit so damn low in the water it’s very difficult to hit them mind you, not my aim), then I’m screwed because lol low tier destroyer at 5km.

I’ve tried turning away, charging at them, changing course and speed and I’ll dodge a million torps and then I’ll just barely get clipped by one or two, burn my DC, then while it’s on cooldown I’ll get clipped again and sink from flooding.

i literally dodged 1 million HP of potential damage last night in the KA from two T3 destroyers and it was purely from torpedoes. Every 45 seconds it was constant, nonstop torpedoes. So damn annoying and frustrating because our destroyers got demolished in two minutes after the game started and I obviously have no way of spotting them.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Low tier is low tier. It should be expected to be world of torpedoes.

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

Konig Albert doesn't get to complain, sorry. Kawachi and South Carolina have it much, much worse.

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts

I don’t see how they have it any worse against destroyers. KA secondary battery is fearsome on paper but it’ll barely hit anything in practice.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Use Orion and show the DDs how it’s done, I have gotten multiple dev strikes on lower tier DDs. 

To add insult to injury, I used AP. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

If it was a Derski, you'd be flat out dead with a single "deletion salvo".

Premium T3 is the Vampire, and Campbeltown.

Wakatake takes too long to reload, and like I said, the Derski would just flat-out kill you.

Must be the G-100 (or something) German DD, or the unremarkable US one.

[SIDE]
Members
1,250 posts
8,868 battles

Sounds like you are hovering near islands. Get out into open water and charging DD's will be less likely to charge you.

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
3 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

If it was a Derski, you'd be flat out dead with a single "deletion salvo".

Premium T3 is the Vampire, and Campbeltown.

Wakatake takes too long to reload, and like I said, the Derski would just flat-out kill you.

Must be the G-100 (or something) German DD, or the unremarkable US one.

It’s the V-25 and the Phra Ruang mostly (or whatever the T2/3 Pan Asian destroyer is). 

Whatever teammates were with me get wiped out, and because I’m angling/kiting I’m the last one left so they just charge me with little to no consequence and unleash a full torpedo salvo.

Or they just harass me from stealth. Both of which there’s little I can do about, though stealth topping obviously there’s absolutely nothing I can do about when teammates get destroyed.

• Cool 1

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
7 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Use Orion and show the DDs how it’s done, I have gotten multiple dev strikes on lower tier DDs. 

To add insult to injury, I used AP. 

I have the Orion. I just wanna play the KA because it’s a fun ship. It’s just annoying when I can’t do anything about the damn destroyers harassing me from the shadows or charging at me.

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

I keep tabs on where they are lurking and make sure not to get ambushed by islands, and if one is charging I am in a position to kite long enough to blow them to smithereens with the main battery. Their HP is low enough that it doesnt take many to kill them.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

That only teaches you that team play is important.

If your BB travels with friendly DDs and cruisers you have 1)spotting for DDs and torps and 2)ships with fast-firing HE that can kill enemy DDs dead.

Solo BBs are vulnerable to DDs at all tiers.

[CAST]
Members
1,427 posts
5,957 battles

Use your teammates.  I don't mean ask them for help or try to coordinate in chat or expect them to be anything more than potatoes, I mean literally use your teammates!  Keep at least one of them between you and the enemy at all times, and do whatever possible to ensure that you aren't the most tempting target for their torpedoes.  This also means bypassing some tempting salvos against opposing BBs or cruisers and instead taking shots at DDs 10km away, even when they aren't charging after you.  Low tier BB dispersion means that you're rarely going to land more than one or two overpens per salvo, but every hit point you remove from an enemy DD gives you a better chance of being able to finish them off when they do decide that you're their best target.  And of course avoid island-heavy areas of the map wherever possible.

If it comes down to the end game where you're the last big ship left on your team and there are multiple DDs eyeing you up, well that just happens sometimes.  Do what you can to ensure that you take at least one of them with you. :cap_rambo:

Oh, and if you don't already: put some time into playing destroyers.  The more battles you have in these ships, the easier it becomes for you to predict their moves and exploit their vulnerabilities.

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
13 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

Use your teammates.  I don't mean ask them for help or try to coordinate in chat or expect them to be anything more than potatoes, I mean literally use your teammates!  Keep at least one of them between you and the enemy at all times, and do whatever possible to ensure that you aren't the most tempting target for their torpedoes.  This also means bypassing some tempting salvos against opposing BBs or cruisers and instead taking shots at DDs 10km away, even when they aren't charging after you.  Low tier BB dispersion means that you're rarely going to land more than one or two overpens per salvo, but every hit point you remove from an enemy DD gives you a better chance of being able to finish them off when they do decide that you're their best target.  And of course avoid island-heavy areas of the map wherever possible.

If it comes down to the end game where you're the last big ship left on your team and there are multiple DDs eyeing you up, well that just happens sometimes.  Do what you can to ensure that you take at least one of them with you. :cap_rambo:

Oh, and if you don't already: put some time into playing destroyers.  The more battles you have in these ships, the easier it becomes for you to predict their moves and exploit their vulnerabilities.

Yeah, I have five T10 ships. I play Gearing extensively. It’s not a matter of not understanding how things work it’s moreso my teammates not doing their job lol. 

I just had a game where where an enemy Wickes popped up, so I fired at him. One overpen.

there was a friendly Chester legit 1km from me…and he fires a salvo, causes 2 or 3000 damage to the destroyer…then totally ignores it and doesn’t finish it off. 

I take two torp hits and move away from the area.

Destroyer charges around the island a minute later and sinks the Chester before getting sunk by a friendly destroyer.

the Chester didn’t finish off the destroyer so he paid the price, and so did I.

It’s a team game. I am trying to prioritize targets like battleships and cruisers because that’s what I’m supposed to do.

I’m not supposed to be destroyer hunting, but that’s what I end up doing because no one else on my team does it.

It’s only a problem in low tier games. In high tier games the second a destroyer is spotted everyone blasts him to pieces.

Edited by FDT5896

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
2 minutes ago, Noone_You_Know said:

I put my 19 point Bismark secondary focused captain on my KA. Much LOLs to be had. Only felt a little dirty.

What’s your build

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Konig Albert doesn't get to complain, sorry. Kawachi and South Carolina have it much, much worse.

^^ Truth.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

I remember when every tier was worldd of torpedoes :cap_viking:

Members
280 posts
4 minutes ago, FDT5896 said:

What’s your build

BFT, AFT, Manual secondaries are the important ones.

Edited by Noone_You_Know

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
1 hour ago, FDT5896 said:

i literally dodged 1 million HP of potential damage last night in the KA from two T3 destroyers and it was purely from torpedoes. Every 45 seconds it was constant, nonstop torpedoes. So damn annoying and frustrating because our destroyers got demolished in two minutes after the game started and I obviously have no way of spotting them.

Well done dodging over 84 torps that we’re close enough to count as potential damage.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,263 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Not really; stopped being afraid of low tier destroyers in South Carolina after I learned how to hit them with battleship main guns, and also how to extend a fight to get more than just one salvo off at one...

...then I got bored one day and secondary spec’d SC and a captain that wasn’t going anywhere, (I think including MFCS,) and grew even less afraid.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles
41 minutes ago, FDT5896 said:

Yeah, I have five T10 ships. I play Gearing extensively. It’s not a matter of not understanding how things work it’s moreso my teammates not doing their job lol. 

I just had a game where where an enemy Wickes popped up, so I fired at him. One overpen.

there was a friendly Chester legit 1km from me…and he fires a salvo, causes 2 or 3000 damage to the destroyer…then totally ignores it and doesn’t finish it off. 

I take two torp hits and move away from the area.

Destroyer charges around the island a minute later and sinks the Chester before getting sunk by a friendly destroyer.

the Chester didn’t finish off the destroyer so he paid the price, and so did I.

It’s a team game. I am trying to prioritize targets like battleships and cruisers because that’s what I’m supposed to do.

I’m not supposed to be destroyer hunting, but that’s what I end up doing because no one else on my team does it.

It’s only a problem in low tier games. In high tier games the second a destroyer is spotted everyone blasts him to pieces.

This is why your ship died. Regardless of tiers, there is no such thing as jousting. You engage the same target (fastest target to kill) amd not pad damage. 

Regardless of tier, if a dd is advamcing on your position, that dd must be tge priority target even if hes backed by every bb on his team. 

Rhe dd is the most potent ship in the game; and if he can stealth torp and you keep ignoring him each and every match will end the same regardless of tier.

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
4 posts
1,299 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

6 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Well done dodging over 84 torps that we’re close enough to count as potential damage.

I run my new modified teir three st louis against them and if you lead well it takes them out at 11 k distant they don't even detect I'm coming because of comofluge and flags I have 

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
8 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Poke fun all you want. The Phra Ruang has 4 10,000 damage torps that reload every 42? seconds.

the V-25 (other destroyer that was hunting me) has a reload time of 38 seconds with 6 torpedo tubes (5 to one broadside) that do 10,600 damage apiece. 

Maybe it wasn’t exactly a million but it was damn close, like 850,000 potential damage or something.

My point is that’s a crapton of torpedoes to be constantly dodging, especially since they were stagger firing their torps.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, princechar said:

I run my new modified teir three st louis against them and if you lead well it takes them out at 11 k distant they don't even detect I'm coming because of comofluge and flags I have 

I just control Tenryu like my Destroyers, only difference is that I am constantly shooting and zigzagging.

• Cool 1

[KAOS_]
Members
14 posts
4 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

This is why your ship died. Regardless of tiers, there is no such thing as jousting. You engage the same target (fastest target to kill) amd not pad damage. 

Regardless of tier, if a dd is advamcing on your position, that dd must be tge priority target even if hes backed by every bb on his team. 

Rhe dd is the most potent ship in the game; and if he can stealth torp and you keep ignoring him each and every match will end the same regardless of tier.

I do prioritize destroyers because they’re a massive threat at low tiers. The problem is that because of my dispersion I’ll miss them and get [edited] unless I wait until they show broadside to fire their torps (which I usually do now). My issue is when my team ignores them entirely and just wants to pad their damage numbers by firing on battleships instead of helping to win the game by doing their job of targeting what’s the largest threat to the most powerful ships on their team. 

EG destroyers threatening battleships.