You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Is it RNG or am I just getting better with DD's

17 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

So for several days now I've been playing a lot of DD's.  They just seem a bit more fun.  I have several low tier DD's but I've been playing Akizuki.  I die quite a bit but I've been working on that lately.  Sometimes you can't help it but you just die no matter how well you try to do.  So I went to play a couple of BB rounds.  Took Missouri out because there was less of a risk of actually loosing silver.  But when I took it out I could only manage to do 1500 damage per hit.  I mean I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it.  I've actually started doing more damage in my dd than I have before.  Getting kills and what not.  So I am actually wondering if it's just a lousy time to play a BB or what I'm not sure.  But it just seems to me that I've been playing them more often I've gotten better a bit I don't know.  Is it just RNG or is it just sheer luck.  I don't know.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Might be a mix of various factors, RNG, MM, and such. But if you are consistently getting better results in your DDs then you are also probably improving your DD play. :cap_like:

[TDD]
Members
905 posts
7,942 battles

I've notice something similar. I used to be decent in BBs but since I started maining DDs, while i still can have a good BB game, I have a lot more that fall in OMG I SUCK range. But in DDs I have been  getting better at a steady rate.

And having lots more fun too

Edited by nina_blain_73

[DAY]
Members
1,184 posts
11,759 battles

wat?

USN MK7 is the single most consistent BB gun in game

if you're having a hard time with MK7, you will struggle with all BB guns in game

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
12,625 battles

You must be getting better and perhaps having some good luck. Of course if its in co op which I doubt it would be that you have learned what the bots do and know what to do to defeat them. With almost 7700 battles though you must have gotten better. By the way RNG has nothing to with it other determining whether a hit has high/low/no damage. There is no RNG predetermination of which team is going to win nor that one side or the other or individual players will get better or worse RNG for hits.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,579 posts
3,751 battles

I think it's a bit of all, but also psychological. You shoot much more in Akizuki, so misses don't mean much. Missing salvos in Missouri can seem more annoying compared to that.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Might be a mix of various factors, RNG, MM, and such. But if you are consistently getting better results in your DDs then you are also probably improving your DD play. :cap_like:

I've actually been trying to improve my dd play over all.  So I've been running with them a lot more than I have been before.  I needless to say well got bored with BBs.  Cruisers don't always have that great of a chance.  DDs are harder to hit at a certain distance while moving.   So I went with dds.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

I think it's a bit of all, but also psychological. You shoot much more in Akizuki, so misses don't mean much. Missing salvos in Missouri can seem more annoying compared to that.

Its a bit more than annoying.  Some days I'm great with bbs and do over 100K in damage in a match yes I said over 100K.  Then there were days like to day I take it out and I would just be complete garbage in it and not even be able to get 50K in damage in the match.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
45 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

... yes I said over 100K.

... as opposed to?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles

If you are serious regarding getting better in DD or any other ship for that matter. Keep a spread sheet, record match length, when you died during the match, match outcome, and damage done. 

Your average survival rate is so horrendously low. You probably died in the first 5 min of the game.  DD is one of those class that HAS to stay alive as long as possible, till the end of the match even. So, given the stats, you got lucky it seems.

Edited by NeutralState

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, NeutralState said:

If you are serious regarding getting better in DD or any other ship for that matter. Keep a spread sheet, record match length, match outcome, and damage done.

Your average survival rate is so horrendously low. You probably died in the first 5 min of the game. 

DD is one of those class that HAS to stay alive as long as possible, till the end of the match even.

I know its horrendously low, I've actually been trying to increase it.  Its just difficult when everybody's trying to shoot at you at the same time and focus firing you on a regular basis.  Slowly but surely.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles
6 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

I know its horrendously low, I've actually been trying to increase it.  Its just difficult when everybody's trying to shoot at you at the same time and focus firing you on a regular basis.  Slowly but surely.

The mentality here is not "staying alive", think of it as "you can ONLY have influence in a match if you are alive". There are times, and if you are a DD, many times, in a match where the DD has to be aggressive and probably die. The trick is to find when the moment is in the match. iChase just did a good summary on basic things you need to keep track of in this game. You might want to watch it or you can read my horrendously written recommendations in my signature links.

Edited by NeutralState

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
23 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

The mentality here is not "staying alive", think of it as "you can ONLY have influence in a match if you are alive". There are times, and if you are a DD, many times, in a match where the DD has to be aggressive and probably die. The trick is to find when the moment is in the match. iChase just did a good summary on basic things you need to keep track of in this game. You might want to watch it or you can read my horrendously written recommendations in my signature links.

Well some matches I play actually very well and can stay alive the entire match others are just well bleh and I wind up getting detonated.  Plus I have the chat box completely disabled via aslains mods so less distraction.  It helps with out seeing the chat box but sometimes just staying alive is difficult lol.  Radar is an annoyance but it can be dealt with.  This was a match that I actually did quite well in.  When I have matches like this I'm happy.  This one was a few days ago.  Yea the chat box was on this match I didn't disable it until later that day.

Edited by torpsRus

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
24 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Ironically sometimes ramming an enemy ship in a DD after expending your Torps can have a dramatic affect on the battle. Such as the time I rammed a Tirpitz in my Farragut after I had failed to sent it with my Torps, and the Tirpitz flooded out and sank after the impact of my ramming. And that BB was full HP and was a major threat to my team since if it had successfully run the 2 Brothers middle channel then it would have been able to prey on some of my team’s more vulnerable ships.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ironically sometimes ramming an enemy ship in a DD after expending your Torps can have a dramatic affect on the battle. Such as the time I rammed a Tirpitz in my Farragut after I had failed to sent it with my Torps, and the Tirpitz flooded out and sank after the impact of my ramming. And that BB was full HP and was a major threat to my team since if it had successfully run the 2 Brothers middle channel then it would have been able to prey on some of my team’s more vulnerable ships.

The infamous 11th torpedo.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,250 posts
8 hours ago, torpsRus said:

So for several days now I've been playing a lot of DD's.  They just seem a bit more fun.  I have several low tier DD's but I've been playing Akizuki.  I die quite a bit but I've been working on that lately.  Sometimes you can't help it but you just die no matter how well you try to do.  So I went to play a couple of BB rounds.  Took Missouri out because there was less of a risk of actually loosing silver.  But when I took it out I could only manage to do 1500 damage per hit.  I mean I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it.  I've actually started doing more damage in my dd than I have before.  Getting kills and what not.  So I am actually wondering if it's just a lousy time to play a BB or what I'm not sure.  But it just seems to me that I've been playing them more often I've gotten better a bit I don't know.  Is it just RNG or is it just sheer luck.  I don't know.

Likely BECAUSE you've been mainlining DD's for several days, lol.   I get that, too.   If I haven't played any US DD's for a while, I can't hit the broadside of a barn with those guns.   Once I reacclimate myself to them, it's a whole nother story.   Then if I switch to something else with totally different ballistics- same thing: wth??? Why can't I %$#@ing hit anything??!!

That, and RNG LOVES to troll BB players- esp those in US BB's...  Devastating guns- as long as you've sacrificed a goat or a small child to RNGesus recently, lol.

When you switch between DD and BB, you really CAN'T find two more different playstyles.  That likely is a contributing factor to your woes.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,250 posts
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol- nice!!!

I was rammed by a Pensacola once with my Farragut- and lived!   No idea how.   He blew up, and I sailed away- after I hit dcp to stop the flooding, that is!   " Ha ha, sucker!!  Try and punk MY Farragut will ya?!"