You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

How does the Henri IV stack up to other T10 Cruisers?

34 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,949 battles

Currently at the Charles Martel and so far, enjoying the ship alot with the speed boost special upgrade. Is it worth it to push beyond T8 to get the Henri IV?

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles

The Henri is a good individual and damage farming ship, but doesn't contribute much to winning a game.  I'd continue grinding.

[WOLF2]
Members
888 posts
7,212 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

The Henri is a good individual and damage farming ship, but doesn't contribute much to winning a game.  I'd continue grinding.

Pretty much^^   However, I like her, and sail her in Clan Battles.   I use her for flanking, getting three or four ships to aim at me, and then kite away.   She's got good range, and can tie folks up (and set fires to 'em).   Bug out with speed if needed.     But yeah - wrack up a ton of damage, but rarely get kills.   Like a long range monkey throwing poo.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,614 posts
9,014 battles
17 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

12 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Pretty much^^   However, I like her, and sail her in Clan Battles.   I use her for flanking, getting three or four ships to aim at me, and then kite away.   She's got good range, and can tie folks up (and set fires to 'em).   Bug out with speed if needed.     But yeah - wrack up a ton of damage, but rarely get kills.   Like a long range monkey throwing poo.

It is a killer if allowed to run free. I swear the Henri draws more attention than a radar boat but with her AT&T range and accurate guns that hit hard and can citadel anything it is justifiable as letting one live it will make life hell for your team.

Playing the Henri brings back memories of being a corgi captain.

tumblr_m2qp8aA9Tt1qzrlhgo1_500.jpg

• Funny 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,736 battles

Henri is a pretty good fire started with good range and speed. It also has great torpedo angles for close quarters combat. On the other hand its gets alot of empty damage and has a hard time making significant contributions to the team when push comes to shove. Overall it's pretty good but not much different than the preceding ships in its line. 

[AR]
[AR]
Members
316 posts
11,840 battles

My clan leader was adamant about not letting me use Henri during CB's. But one day, I just forced my Henri into each game and by the end of the session, he acknowledged that the Henri really is a good ship. The thing about cruisers in general is that people tend to spec them out for full concealment. Henri does not need this, it only needs camo + CE giving it a detection range of 14.1km. You don't want too much concealment on Henri (12.7km max) because you want a safe distance between you and them unless it is late game when both sides have like 1 or 2 ships left. You also don't want too little concealment making it impossible for you to flank without getting spotted  before you reach their half of the map. 14.1km is a comfortable concealment compromise on this.

Henri's play style is really similar to Zao except that both ships have a different approach to their flanking methods. It has great range and only the Moskva out ranges it at T10 cruisers. Great charge in torps and can move at 43.9 knots max. It has the best base fire chance at 22%. don't need DE both fire signals are good enough. You can even reliably citadel a broadside Monty from say 16km away something I have never done in my Moskva unless up close. You can cit a DM from it's stern and bow if you know where to aim.

The Henri is not for everyone, and I don't think many people know how to use it effectively. Of course this is also the T10 ship I used to land in Rank 1 with, so I know how to use it in the CB meta, what to expect and what moves to make.

[APOC-]
Beta Testers
328 posts
4,076 battles
25 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

My clan leader was adamant about not letting me use Henri during CB's. But one day, I just forced my Henri into each game and by the end of the session, he acknowledged that the Henri really is a good ship. The thing about cruisers in general is that people tend to spec them out for full concealment. Henri does not need this, it only needs camo + CE giving it a detection range of 14.1km. You don't want too much concealment on Henri (12.7km max) because you want a safe distance between you and them unless it is late game when both sides have like 1 or 2 ships left. You also don't want too little concealment making it impossible for you to flank without getting spotted  before you reach their half of the map. 14.1km is a comfortable concealment compromise on this.

Henri's play style is really similar to Zao except that both ships have a different approach to their flanking methods. It has great range and only the Moskva out ranges it at T10 cruisers. Great charge in torps and can move at 43.9 knots max. It has the best base fire chance at 22%. don't need DE both fire signals are good enough. You can even reliably citadel a broadside Monty from say 16km away something I have never done in my Moskva unless up close. You can cit a DM from it's stern and bow if you know where to aim.

The Henri is not for everyone, and I don't think many people know how to use it effectively. Of course this is also the T10 ship I used to land in Rank 1 with, so I know how to use it in the CB meta, what to expect and what moves to make.

I agree with most of this, Over matching minos from all angles is hilariously fun too.

It is a good ship but does have difficulty carrying until late game. Early game it is a DPM ship that has poor DPM. The reload booster plus legendary module will be interesting however. 

In Clamwars I think Zao is a hands down better ship for a flanker. With new 12km torps and ninja concealment it is just better for competitive IMO. Also Hindy for long range flame thrower has more DPM AND is good at other things too.

All that said for randoms it is one of my favorite ships in the game and I would recommend finishing the line.

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,300 battles

If you like the previous french cruisers then you'll like the Henri too. There is no significant change in playstyle between them except for slight adjustments such as playing at longer ranges to compensate for a slower rudder and using AP a bit more to citadel CAs and BBs.

My view is that the French are the 'prototypical' cruiser line. They define what it means to be balanced, normal in everything cruisers, in terms of both stats and playstyle. It flanks, it fire spams, it stays at least 18km away from the nearest enemy BB. It's like a venn diagram that takes all the parts that the Zao, Moskva and arguably Hindenburg have in common and puts them into one ship. It's normal at everything and hence excels at nothing. It has the torps, AP and armour of a brawler, but a relatively low DPM, only 3 torps per side and slow rudder prevent it from out-brawling ships like the hindy or DM. It has good HE, accuracy and hydro so it can go DD hunting, but without radar, that slow rudder again and very slow fire rate it isn't great at that either. It has the arcs to sometimes camp islands, but without the agility or small size to make that playstyle work consistently. It can do the flanking and HE spamming thing, but in my view it doesn't have the lasers of the Russians or the fire starting and concealment of the Zao which kinda makes it mediocre at that too (at least compared to the masters of the genre).

In the end, most players (including myself) have settled on that last playstyle. While in my view it is still disadvantaged compared to the Zao or Moskva, that is at least a debatable point. You stay at range, you go round the side and you burn down BBs. It's one of the only cruisers I've played on which taking the range mod over the reload mod makes sense. As others have said it is a very low-impact playstyle, although I will admit that racking up large damage counters is kinda cool (not that your damage matters all that much). No, my main gripe with this ship (and probably the reason why I'm coming off so negatively about it) is just that I find it very boring, especially after finishing the long French cruiser line grind. Again, if you like the Charles Martel you'll probably enjoy the Henri too and should go for it. But there's no reason to hurry; you basically already had the Henri in your port from the time you first got the Emile Bertin. 

[B2P]
Members
512 posts
13,621 battles

Henri is probably my best DD hunter/killer.  It has the speed to chase down most DDs and the guns to make quick work of them.  And you can make quick work of any broadside cruisers as well.  Against BBs and enemy formations you want to keep your distance, and it tends to take its share of cits, so you need to keep maneuvering.  We almost always have one in our clan for CB.  It does make an excellent flanker.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,069 posts
14,468 battles

Henri IV pretty much continues the style of French Cruisers.

Find open water, keep at range, protect your sides, keep shooting.  With DE + Both Fire Signal Flags, she reaches a whopping 26% Fire Chance.  I've had BBs ask me what the hell the Fire Chance is on Henri IV, and they're always blown away by the answer.  The AP however is still good to go and will punish ships accordingly. 

However, you won't have the agility you had with Charles Martel and HIV is a large CA.  You also lose Charles Martel's rather underrated concealment.  These 2 are IMO the biggest drawbacks going from Tier VIII->X in this line. 

Also continuing French Cruiser tradition, you try to dip into islands and short ranged fights, you'll have problems.  Henri IV with her massive size and clumsy sailing in confined waters is a disaster waiting to happen.   French Cruiser torpedoes are still lame.  Henri IV"s AA, however, is downright nasty.  I've specced mined for AA and with her speed, I've zipped her around to where the AA is needed in good time.  As long as you adhere to French Cruiser strengths, you'll be fine.

One of the most fun things I've done in this ship was getting into a shootout with a Unicum in his Hindenburg in open water, trading shots, and Ze German had enough of the hard hitting shells of Henri IV.  She doesn't fire as fast as Hindenburg, but the shells pack a wallop and set fires very easily.

[NUWES]
Members
1,655 posts
5,557 battles

It's an interesting ship. I don't care much for her but that is a personal preference, and I liked the earlier French CAs. The issue with her to me is that she is big for a cruiser and REALLY easy to spot and target. Moskva has this problem too (but at least she has a radar). It is really easy to spot them and then BBs plaster them. Also with their high detection numbers they can't disengage easily. (Although Henri has the speed to do it if she can turn around without getting killed). DDs can keep up with you and keep you perma-spotted and there really is nothing Henri can do about that since it doesn't even have a float plane. As people have already stated Henri works best as a fast flanker on a good team or division who can spot for her. The ship is a good flamethrower, but it has the worst vision control of any CA or CL that I can think of.   It is really dependent on the team to spot targets for her before she herself is spotted. If you can push in and get deep in on a flank without being spotted the ship is nice. 

[HRDP]
Members
2,717 posts
8,278 battles

Henri i found actually has one useful way to carry, but it requires a bit of stupid on the enemy team for it to work. The best way i found to play henri is to equip both steering gears modification 2, and steering gears mod 3. This allows her rudder to shift very quickly, and gives the ship hilarious dodging capability. Sure when she turns, she bleeds speed like crazy, but when you are already going 44 knots with speed boost, you can afford to lose ten in a turn. And that speed bleed is also really useful, because such a rapid change in speed, throws off peoples aim. I have dodged entire battleship salvo's at under 10 k. So yeah quip the two rudder shift mod's and her dodging ability becomes hilarious.

I have found a way to exploit this to. your job is to be the shiny thing for the enemy team to chase. Enemy battleships hate begin set on fire. So you set them on fire, then get them to chase you, all while aim dodging their shots. Cycle your fire across multiple enemy ships, be that ooh shiny, and watch has half the enemy team chases you across the map in a futile effort to kill you while the rest of your team takes the caps and kills the cruisers and DD's that have now found themselves without BB support. Because the BB's just had to chase the Henri to the corners of the map. Oh the salt from the enemy team is glorious. Now obviously this doesn't work all the time. Unicums aren't tempted so much by ooh shiny thing syndrome. Your mostly getting the bad players to chase you. However getting four or five potatoes to chase you uselessly around  the map deprives the unicums of their meat shields, and can make them very indignant on the matter.

And even if you cant get the enemy team to chase you with vigor,, you can still muck about on the flanks' setting people on fire until they get pissed enough to shoot at you, but then you laugh as you effortlessly dodge every shot fired at you. And every BB salvo that splashes harmlessly near your ship is a BB salvo that didn't find the citadel of an allied cruiser or battleship. So in short Henri carries by being the ship that you want to get shot at, and that you want to be visible to the enemy team.

• Cool 1

Members
542 posts
2,945 battles

Zao and Hindenburg do everything better except speed. Henri is definitely the weakest at the moment. Could use a concealment buff and turret rotation buff.

Edited by ksix

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,265 battles

Henris are an extremely odd breed of ship. It's actually one ship I fear the most in clan battles oddly. I feel like that ship is gonna burn me to death while i can't do any thing against it.

[PSV]
[PSV]
Members
107 posts
7,814 battles
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sure thing Mr 21 Battles.

I actually have slightly more than 21 battles my friend. Accidentally logged into alt account.

And it is still a weak ship.

[OPG]
Members
3,970 posts
5,672 battles
13 hours ago, ksix said:

Could use a concealment buff and turret rotation buff.

A turret traverse buff would be nice, but I think a concealment buff would be pretty useless.  For randoms the Henri plays like a big Soviet DD and spends most of its time spotted and firing its guns.  As far as competitive is concerned, it would take a drastic buff to allow the Henri to ever rival the Zao as a flanking cruiser.  Clans that want to use the Henri's speed are going to use the Henri regardless of its concealment.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,069 posts
14,468 battles
13 hours ago, lipiru said:

I actually have slightly more than 21 battles my friend. Accidentally logged into alt account.

And it is still a weak ship.

Not really, because it's doing just fine in the ultra-competitive field of Tier X Cruisers in the merciless realm of Tier X gameplay.  It may not be to your playstyle, but it's doing just fine.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,838 posts
4,726 battles

Henri is really great at running to the edges of the map and spamming HE. Everytime they come into where the battle is happening, they get ripped to pieces. Someone tried to brawl my Des Moines with one, he went back to port quickly. 

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,949 battles

Thanks, everyone for your replies! Ill continue to work on the French CAs. And if I'm planning just to zoom around and kite, I don't see a reason to work on concealment.

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles
On 7/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

It doesn't make sense.

If you are doing a lot of damage, you ARE helping the team win games. You can say she has low impact early game but not that she doesn't contribute to winning.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,628 battles
5 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Thanks, everyone for your replies! Ill continue to work on the French CAs. And if I'm planning just to zoom around and kite, I don't see a reason to work on concealment.

Ehm, there's a reason people spec for concealment even on Moskva. It's just a great utility to move between certain positions without being seen. 
Unless you're going full dodge-tank and kite like a Khaba where you basically never go silent, its always a great idea to spec concealment. 

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
499 posts
5,584 battles

Sometimes I want to sell it, then I love it again....

I thought about why that is, and adjusted my play style accordingly. You "NEED INTELLIGENCE DATA" lol... no planes, no radar, blind as a bat. Get caught in storm and it can get ugly vs BBs; some cruisers do better in close. You NEED to have effective spotting or you are the one who's spotted and that's just no fun...

I switched to IFHE to make better use of my DeGrasse, and plan to level another captain for the T8. Sold the T9, great ship, just doesn't really have a place in my port.

edit: anyone suggesting to go without concealment...well ehh that's just stressful. You thrive on being able to position yourself, kite, repeat. You're already at a concealment disadvantage as it is, don't make it worse for yourself, with speed boost going you're already trollishly agile

Edited by HeathenForay