You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Daffyd9x

Summer Sale - doubloon compensation

32 comments in this topic

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
105 posts
12,524 battles

Looks like this Summer Sale offers no bargain in compensation doubloons when purchasing a duplicate premium ship.  WG will not repeat that mistake.

$15.53 buys Warspite and port slot, or 3,250 compensation doubloons for duplication.  $0.004778 per doubloon.  (Port slot ignored in this arithmetic.)

$15.77 buys 3,200 doubloons in the Premium Shop.  $0.004928 per doubloon. This would be about $0.48 more if you could buy exactly 3,250 doubloons.  Meh!

It is unclear whether a port slot is still received with the compensation so I omitted it in this analysis.  If someone deliberately buys a duplicate ship, please post in this thread whether you got a new port slot.

I hope they offer for half-price some premium ships that I want.

Edited by Daffyd9x

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

It offers exactly half the dubloons, I divided out the one I have in port. If you divide out the dubloons by the $100 package (250 dubloons = $1) it's $13. So you're better off just buying dubloons than duplicate ships now. I wonder how many thousands of dollars this will cost them. People like me who already have the ships were buying duplicates for dubloon discounts. I'm sitting on ~80K dubloons with nothing to buy already and no ships I'm interested in in the shop. I would have bought the duplicate Warspite for the discount dubloons though, oh well.

EDIT: Also, the "get 250 dubloons for every $10 you spend!!" (for those of you paying attention, that 10% off) promotion thing is over too so none of these Summer Sale purchases will count towards that either.

Edited by w4spl3g

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
352 posts
5,192 battles
11 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

It offers exactly half the dubloons, I divided out the one I have in port. If you divide out the dubloons by the $100 package (250 dubloons = $1) it's $13. So you're better off just buying dubloons than duplicate ships now. I wonder how many thousands of dollars this will cost them. People like me who already have the ships were buying duplicates for dubloon discounts. I'm sitting on ~80K dubloons with nothing to buy already and no ships I'm interested in in the shop. I would have bought the duplicate Warspite for the discount dubloons though, oh well.

EDIT: Also, the "get 250 dubloons for every $10 you spend!!" (for those of you paying attention, that 10% off) promotion thing is over too so none of these Summer Sale purchases will count towards that either.

It really was a poor decision for them to change how doubloons are handled for duplicate ships, and is likely losing them a good bit of potential revenue.  People that would have spent money on ship packages or sales for the extra doubloons have been keeping their wallets closed now, since there really isn't any value to purchasing them anymore.

Also, has anyone else noticed that newer premium ships seem to be getting more and more expensive with every release compared to older premiums?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,036 posts
5 minutes ago, Deno said:

It really was a poor decision for them to change how doubloons are handled for duplicate ships, and is likely losing them a good bit of potential revenue.  People that would have spent money on ship packages or sales for the extra doubloons have been keeping their wallets closed now, since there really isn't any value to purchasing them anymore.

Also, has anyone else noticed that newer premium ships seem to be getting more and more expensive with every release compared to older premiums?

Maybe it was a poor decision or maybe it was not, we don't have the business numbers to know if it was or not but wg does and I'm sure they analyze the sales to make future business decisions.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
13 minutes ago, Deno said:

Yes, they keep increasing the package costs and often, although not always, it's the only way a ship is available.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
46 minutes ago, Daffyd9x said:

Looks like this Summer Sale offers no bargain in compensation doubloons when purchasing a duplicate premium ship.  WG will not repeat that mistake.

$15.53 buys Warspite and port slot, or 3,250 compensation doubloons for duplication.  $0.004778 per doubloon.  (Port slot ignored in this arithmetic.)

$15.77 buys 3,200 doubloons in the Premium Shop.  $0.004928 per doubloon. This would be about $0.48 more if you could buy exactly 3,250 doubloons.  Meh!

It is unclear whether a port slot is still received with the compensation so I omitted it in this analysis.  If someone deliberately buys a duplicate Warspite, please post in this thread whether you got a new port slot.

I hope they offer for half-price some premium ships that I want.

The sale includes a port slot.

VrvRfkN.jpg

• Boring 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,874 posts
12,625 battles

@Daffyd9x I got several duplicate premium ships from the 2016 Christmas Secret Santa thing and received the doubloon value for each and a port slot. I now have 88 ships, six remaining port slots and doubloons left from that. So for your 15.53 you will get 3250 doubloons + a 300 doubloon port slot if you already own the Warspite. Yes you can buy exactly 3250 or 3550 doubloons with the buy any amount of doubloons selection. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Maybe it was a poor decision or maybe it was not, we don't have the business numbers to know if it was or not but wg does and I'm sure they analyze the sales to make future business decisions.

I think it's pretty obvious they made a mistake in one promotion and made a sweeping change in policy to make sure nobody had any incentive to buy duplicate ships again. 

You don't need an MBA to tell you that this will result in reduced sales, especially from the hardcore player base that you rely on most.

Which begs the question: Does anybody at wg have an MBA or even understand marketing? Advertising underneath that you will gain nothing for duplicate is marginally better than cigarettes saying "May cause cancer" :) …. and threads will pop up every time someone sees the compensation in brackets below a ship in the future … omfg hilarious fubar

It's like shooting yourself in the foot - EVERY DAY!

Edited by Commander_367

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,668 battles

What I want to know is how they'll do doubloon compensation when the whale-est of the whales start pulling duplicates in their $3 Santa boxes. Do you get $3 in doubloons? Because that would be a kick in the shin.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

What I want to know is how they'll do doubloon compensation when the whale-est of the whales start pulling duplicates in their $3 Santa boxes. Do you get $3 in doubloons? Because that would be a kick in the shin.

I was really hoping nobody would go there ...

Is it possible wg would screw up their biggest and most successful annual promotion to date?

Don't answer that!

[TARFU]
[TARFU]
Members
918 posts
5,945 battles
19 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I was really hoping nobody would go there ...

Is it possible wg would screw up their biggest and most successful annual promotion to date?

Don't answer that!

you know what, i wouldn't mind the lowered doubloons if they massively increase the flags you get from the santa crates.

Members
1,078 posts
5,980 battles
3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

If you recall, last year, if you pulled a duplicate in a Santa Box, it "re-rolled" until the player obtained a non-duplicate premium ship. So, it effectively eliminated duplicate ships being awarded. It also eliminated the problem of duplicate compensation.

Now the Armada and national bundles, on the other hand, awarded full-price doubloon compensation.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
7 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

If you recall, last year, if you pulled a duplicate in a Santa Box, it "re-rolled" until the player obtained a non-duplicate premium ship. So, it effectively eliminated duplicate ships being awarded. It also eliminated the problem of duplicate compensation.

Now the Armada and national bundles, on the other hand, awarded full-price doubloon compensation.

I recall a nice stash of doubloons starting with the Halloween thing - in fact that was the whole point for most people and again after X-mas crates … doubloons were definitely part of the incentive.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
22 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

you know what, i wouldn't mind the lowered doubloons if they massively increase the flags you get from the santa crates.

If they remove an incentive in order to squeeze you for more money, what makes you think they'll replace it with another incentive and give you back your money?

That would be schizophrenic and confusing :)

Edited by Commander_367

Members
1,078 posts
5,980 battles
14 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I recall a nice stash of doubloons starting with the Halloween thing - in fact that was the whole point for most people and again after X-mas crates … doubloons were definitely part of the incentive.

Here is the 2017 Santa box announcement link:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/we-are-many/

And here is the pertinent text pulled from it:

Duplicates?
If you “roll” a ship that is already in your Port, another ship will be reselected from the list of the ships that can be obtained in the Legion containers. In this case, you will receive a Supercontainer instead of the Legion container, and the ship with a Slot for her and Commander with 10 skill points will be added to your account.

If you “roll” a ship that is already in your Port and you have already received all ships available in the Legion containers, a Santa Claus Legion container will be displayed on the container ship. After opening this container, you will see the “rolled” ship, but she will not be added to your Port. Instead, you will get the amount of Doubloons that is equal to the cost
of the ship, a slot, and a Commander with 10 skill points.

So, doubloon compensation ONLY if you had EVERY POSSIBLE SHIP available from the Santa Boxes. Otherwise, alternate ships.

This is really not that hard to look up.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,668 battles
51 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

So what happens when you do own all the premium ships? I did say "whale-est of the whales".

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
42 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Here is the 2017 Santa box announcement link:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/we-are-many/

And here is the pertinent text pulled from it:

Duplicates?
If you “roll” a ship that is already in your Port, another ship will be reselected from the list of the ships that can be obtained in the Legion containers. In this case, you will receive a Supercontainer instead of the Legion container, and the ship with a Slot for her and Commander with 10 skill points will be added to your account.

If you “roll” a ship that is already in your Port and you have already received all ships available in the Legion containers, a Santa Claus Legion container will be displayed on the container ship. After opening this container, you will see the “rolled” ship, but she will not be added to your Port. Instead, you will get the amount of Doubloons that is equal to the cost
of the ship, a slot, and a Commander with 10 skill points.

So, doubloon compensation ONLY if you had EVERY POSSIBLE SHIP available from the Santa Boxes. Otherwise, alternate ships.

This is really not that hard to look up.

You are forgetting that there were three types of boxes and limited ships probably for each type, and yes many people do have a lot of ships as you noted in the armada reference … Lastly I DO recall coming out with more doubloons, I don't much care or recall the details of it.

Finally, this doesn't mean that X-mas crates won't be affected in the future by this policy change - who knows how they will do it, what types of boxes will be available or what groupings of ships avail for each type - it's a legitimate question posed by "edgecase" and I'm sure many are going to ask the same thing considering how popular X-mas crates are .. I mean "were" :)

As for the pumpkin sale - that's probably dead too 

Edited by Commander_367

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,852 posts
4,743 battles

*watches mainpage to see if they sell something I want*

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
352 posts
5,192 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_367 said:

You are forgetting that there were three types of boxes and limited ships probably for each type, and yes many people do have a lot of ships as you noted in the armada reference … Lastly I DO recall coming out with more doubloons, I don't much care or recall the details of it.

Finally, this doesn't mean that X-mas crates won't be affected in the future by this policy change - who knows how they will do it, what types of boxes will be available or what groupings of ships avail for each type - it's a legitimate question posed by "edgecase" and I'm sure many are going to ask the same thing considering how popular X-mas crates are .. I mean "were" :)

The different valued boxes had different amounts for the base contents such as flags or camo.  They all had the same ships available, the only difference there was that the boxes had certain ships that had a higher chance to be the one dropped.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
3 hours ago, Deno said:

The different valued boxes had different amounts for the base contents such as flags or camo.  They all had the same ships available, the only difference there was that the boxes had certain ships that had a higher chance to be the one dropped.

Not afaik, the chance to get a ship was probably fixed depending on the value of the box … the first pool of ships was set and after that it was random by tier.

Pretty sure you didn't get T8s coming from $1 boxes … there were tier limits, and certain ships were just not available, so you had to pay more for any real chance at upper tiers.

In any case their policy has definitely changed and not for the better.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
5 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

I think it's pretty obvious they made a mistake in one promotion and made a sweeping change in policy to make sure nobody had any incentive to buy duplicate ships again. 

You don't need an MBA to tell you that this will result in reduced sales, especially from the hardcore player base that you rely on most.

Which begs the question: Does anybody at wg have an MBA or even understand marketing? Advertising underneath that you will gain nothing for duplicate is marginally better than cigarettes saying "May cause cancer" :) …. and threads will pop up every time someone sees the compensation in brackets below a ship in the future … omfg hilarious fubar

It's like shooting yourself in the foot - EVERY DAY!

It's not from one promotion. It was like that for everything prior to their Steam sale thing which apparently changed this policy towards anti-consumer.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
3 hours ago, Edgecase said:

So what happens when you do own all the premium ships? I did say "whale-est of the whales".

We still don't have an answer for this question - to your point :)

[WOLF2]
Members
1,363 posts
13,086 battles
5 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

It's not from one promotion. It was like that for everything prior to their Steam sale thing which apparently changed this policy towards anti-consumer.

I'm just going by the timing of the policy change and their wording of it.  

People interpreted it as a promotion aimed at new players that was jumped on by the broader player base … and somehow it went terribly wrong for them :)

Edited by Commander_367

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
3 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Not afaik, the chance to get a ship was probably fixed depending on the value of the box … the first pool of ships was set and after that it was random by tier.

Pretty sure you didn't get T8s coming from $1 boxes … there were tier limits, and certain ships were just not available, so you had to pay more for any real chance at upper tiers.

In any case their policy has definitely changed and not for the better.

Well, I didn't get any duplicates, so I was happy. I got Okhotnik, Hood, Huangehe, Kidd, Gallant, & Kii from $3 boxes.

Here is how the boxes broke down, IIRC.

$1 boxes are De Grasse and Mutsu
$3 boxes are Ohotnik, Leningrad & Scharnhorst
$5 boxes are Gallant, Lo Yang & Alabama. 

After you got the ships in the boxes above, then you got one of the ships below. 

Smith, Marblehead, Alabama, Enterprise, Tachibana, Kii, Yubari, Mutsu, Emden, Prinz Eugen, Graf Spee, Campbeltown, Gallant, Aurora, Krasny Krym, Diana, Murmansk, Leningrad, Okhotnik, Admiral Makarov, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, De Grasse, Blyskawica, Perth, Duca d'Aosta, Giulio Cesare, Anshan, Gremyashchy, Nikolai I and Loyang

Will WG change the method this Christmas? Possibly. Will WG give full price on doubloons? Don't know. WG has been generous at Christmas and the change above in 2017 was said to be in response of people who kept getting duplicates in 2016, when they wanted a ship instead. People in 2016 would get multiple Emdens for example. People were especially wanting to get Gremyashchy and Nikolai I in 2016 and 2017.

I do know that I sent some $1 boxes out as gifts and one person got a Mutsu and another got a Kidd.